Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:09 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What is wrong with kids ordering off the kids menu?
If the child wants something that isn't on it...I don't think they should be forced. If everyone is having steak at the table ...the kid likes steak and wants steak and the parents say it's too expensive for you... have the kids hamburger while they chow down on filet mignon? r...that is just wrong.

I refuse to treat my child like a second class citizen simply because of age. It's worked out very well for us.....she's a successful college sophomore with a part time job and her father and I are still happily married even since she doesn't live with us...though we do miss her a lot. All the child hating pundits (notice how most are right wing overly religious men?) are will not change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:47 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I don't believe children have a *sin nature.*
I totally get this. I can understand your feelings on this. But I wonder why children don't have to be taught to be bad? They have to be taught to be good.

Anyway, 10 yr old girls (hopefully) aren't obsessed with their looks. I can understand that she's figured out the easiest way to deal with her hair issues on her own. She shouldn't have to. But she needs to understand that she has to submit to authority unless it's illegal and/or immoral. If she has a dispute there should be a way to express that without being rebellious and/or defiant.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:01 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What is wrong with kids ordering off the kids menu?

Nothing wrong at all. This whole topic is probably worth a thread of its own! Heck in some restaurants, I would love to eat off the kid's menu. Smaller portions and the food is just as yummy. Some other kid menus....yuck.

Common sense should prevail. I have no problem ordering my kid a steak if we are all eating it and I know they will eat it as well. I'm certainly not going to feast like royalty when they are eating P&J sandwiches. Am I going to let them order a $30 dollar steak (and usually the biggest most expensive cut) when we are all eating $14 dollar ones? Um, no. Nor is my son going to order a $$$$ lobster and will eat two bites just because it looks yummy on the menu.

Again though, this would be a great new thread since we are getting waaay off topic.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:13 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
Nothing wrong at all. This whole topic is probably worth a thread of its own! Heck in some restaurants, I would love to eat off the kid's menu. Smaller portions and the food is just as yummy. Some other kid menus....yuck.

Common sense should prevail. I have no problem ordering my kid a steak if we are all eating it and I know they will eat it as well. I'm certainly not going to feast like royalty when they are eating P&J sandwiches. Am I going to let them order a $30 dollar steak (and usually the biggest most expensive cut) when we are all eating $14 dollar ones? Um, no. Nor is my son going to order a $$$$ lobster and will eat two bites just because it looks yummy on the menu.

Again though, this would be a great new thread since we are getting waaay off topic.
Exactly. ...if we are all have hamburgers than hamburgers it is.....but to deny something that everyone is having...nope not gonna happen just to show the kid that I can.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:15 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I totally get this. I can understand your feelings on this. But I wonder why children don't have to be taught to be bad? They have to be taught to be good.

Anyway, 10 yr old girls (hopefully) aren't obsessed with their looks. I can understand that she's figured out the easiest way to deal with her hair issues on her own. She shouldn't have to. But she needs to understand that she has to submit to authority unless it's illegal and/or immoral. If she has a dispute there should be a way to express that without being rebellious and/or defiant.
It depends on what you mean by bad? Kids are generally not bad, but they have to learn what behavior is acceptable and what behavior is not acceptable. Good and bad are subjective.

For example, a toddler who jumps on the couch is not being *bad.* He just needs to jump and does not understand why adults don't want him to jump on the couch. After all, jumping on the couch is fun. So, you redirect him to a place where he can jump - a small trampoline, old cushions you put on the floor, etc. You aren't teaching him to be *good,* you are protecting your furniture, but also allowing him freedom to jump.

Example for an older child: Child complains about doing her homework. Of course, she has to do it, but she is not being *bad* by complaining. After all, it's not something pleasant, so she has a right to complain. OTOH, she has to do it, so you can acknowledge that she doesn't want to but still insist that she has to do it. You can say "I can understand that you think the homework is too (time-consuming,hard, whatever she seems to think) and that you would rather (play, read, etc.)." Then at least you have understood her feelings and usually this is enough to get on with the homework especially if you tell her she can (play, read, etc.) after it is done.

I think with the hair issue, as others have suggested, she has a valid reason for not wanting to wash her hair, so you sit down with her and try to work out a way for her to clean it without the whole shampoo thing. It may be as simple as getting a different product or going "no poo." Hair does NOT need to be washed every day and it depends a lot on her hair type. It would pay for the mom to talk to other dance parents whose children have the same hair type. I also don't think saying no and I don't care are disrespectful in and of themselves. I think punishing a child of this age for an issue like this just adds to the problems. My granddaughter washes her hair, but hates brushing it and it is long and thick, so we got her a special brush that gets through her tangles without hurting her.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:47 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Where on earth would you get the notion that kids don't have to be taught to be bad? Of course they have to be taught to be bad. Children don't pop out of the womb doing drugs, joining gangs, and molesting people. That crap is taught. Children come out of the womb pooping, eating, and sleeping. None of that is bad. I'm pretty sure.

None of the stuff my children do that they get in trouble for is inherently "bad". Running across a street is not inherently "bad". It's only "bad" because a kid can get hurt, but that's not a sin.

Perhaps you think kids are naturally disrespectful to parents, which is a sin? But I urge you to look closer. When they are disrespectful to their parents, they are actually engaging in a learned activity. They learn it from their parents. You child says no to you because they learned it from you. Your child yells at you because they learned it from you. Your child makes excuses because they learned it from you. They aren't being "bad", they just aren't conforming to the learned behaviors that are necessary to thrive in our current form of society. Parents teach their kids how to conform and be civilized, not how to be "good". That's a silly notion if ever I heard one.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 PM

351 posts, read 492,160 times
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Last night my daughter came up to me and asked that I watch her 'wash her hair'. She did to my satisfaction. She then got her kindle and dumb-phone back. No argument.

I had decided that arguing over greasy hair was not the hill I wanted to die on. I love that phase! So I planned to keep her 'toys' until Sunday for her attitude. Her voluntarily complying got them back.

For the record - my child does not have video games or TV in her room. She has a bed and clothes. While I love the advice given on these forums, I am always amazed at the turns a question can take!

Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post

Last night my daughter came up to me and asked that I watch her 'wash her hair'. She did to my satisfaction. She then got her kindle and dumb-phone back. No argument.

I had decided that arguing over greasy hair was not the hill I wanted to die on. I love that phase! So I planned to keep her 'toys' until Sunday for her attitude. Her voluntarily complying got them back.

For the record - my child does not have video games or TV in her room. She has a bed and clothes. While I love the advice given on these forums, I am always amazed at the turns a question can take!
Indeed!

Old 04-16-2015, 01:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post

+1 for your daughter. Good job Mom, I think this shows that most kids want to please their parents, and we need to give them the opportunity to do so.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
If the child wants something that isn't on it...I don't think they should be forced. If everyone is having steak at the table ...the kid likes steak and wants steak and the parents say it's too expensive for you... have the kids hamburger while they chow down on filet mignon? r...that is just wrong.
I am not going to order an adult sized meal for a child. I'd cut part of mine so they could have some though/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I refuse to treat my child like a second class citizen simply because of age. It's worked out very well for us.....she's a successful college sophomore with a part time job and her father and I are still happily married even since she doesn't live with us...though we do miss her a lot. All the child hating pundits (notice how most are right wing overly religious men?) are will not change that.
Gee I wasn't aware that having children order off of a children's menu was treating them like second class citizens. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting