Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times

Advertisements

I have to buy for an almost 5 year old little boy - can't ask the Mom for ideas. What does your 5 year old like??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
My son will be 6 in January, and he loves cars of any kind - hot wheels, remote control, race cars....etc. He loves legos, kinex, magnetix, blocks and geo trax. He loves to draw, write and color. he also loves to play computer games and video games. he loves to ride his bike, dig in the sand, swing and catch bugs.

Hmmm, guess he's actually pretty darn easy to buy for...haha

Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 PM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
Ditto to all of the above. My grandson is 5 and anything like that is a yes. He does love to get dirty, and loves the remote control cars the best.

He got hung up on that car movie by Disney, and last year had to have all the toys with it. Does he have a favorite movie? Maybe ask THAT question and see what you can find.

Oh - something else I find amazing - LLBean has these little flashlights that attach to the head with the lamp in the front. One of those and a hard hat and Hunter is entertained for hours! Amazing, huh?
But he crawls all over the place like he's hiding in a cave or 'rescuing someone' (my son is a firefighter) and has a ball. Have fun shopping!

Try on line at Oompa Toys - Unique, Natural, Wooden & European Toys & Baby Toys for some other ideas. They are broken down into ages and have some really cool stuff I have not seen in stores.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:37 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,175 times
bakugans are really popular right now. have their own section at walmart and target. so are transformers, bionicles are really cool too. stars wars, especially lego sets, all video games and board games. boys are easy, it is girls that give me trouble.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:08 AM

151 posts, read 798,570 times
Wall-E or Transformers. He loves them both. Also, anything army (tanks, helicopters, etc.). He is the 4th of 4 boys, so we already have the rescue heroes, brio, hotwheels, blocks, etc., etc., etc.)

Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
My son just turned six. He doesn't watch TV or a lot of movies, so all the merchandise derived from those things are not on his horizon. Yet, I think he would like any of those things mentioned above. Kimmie is right on the headlamp--our son loves his (they sell them anywhere, look in the camping section). My son loves science and space, but where I think you definately can't go wrong is dinosaurs! Loves them, as does most of his friends. Bugs, too. Although it isn't really the season for that in most states. Otherwise, I would suggest a bug bucket (with a maginfying lens top and a tweezers), a bug net, and a bug book.

Buying for little boys is very easy--have fun with it!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:36 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
My 5 yr old nephew loves Transformers & anything that requires as much hands-on as possible...especially science related.

This is a great age to get manipulatives started & education stores sell lots of fun educational "toys" at a good price & if you can catch a sale, even better!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
My almost 5 year old loves cars, Dinosaurs (favorite), robots, and books/puzzles.

Good Luck!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:41 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times
Thank you all for so many great ideas!! I've written them all down and I'm going to start looking. Keep them coming!!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:58 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,748 times
legos....my son has been obsessed with them for the last 5 yrs. (he'll be 10 next month) grandparents know, they cant go wrong w/legos. most other things were a passing phase (ya, all that ToyStory stuff...sigh)
although, I'll totally second the BugBucket. We did that for my son one year. Got all those items mentioned (magnifin glass, bug jar, net, binoculars, etc) and he LOVED it. Hours of entertainment.
The grandparents even went further with it and got him a kids micorscope. Ohhhh boy. the fun never ends....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting