Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times

Advertisements

My boys aren't very adventurous eaters, but neither am I. I have no interest in trying octopus eyeballs or squirrel livers or whatnot.

They eat a relatively wide variety of foods and aren't adverse to trying new things once to see if they like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
My boys aren't very adventurous eaters, but neither am I. I have no interest in trying octopus eyeballs or squirrel livers or whatnot.

They eat a relatively wide variety of foods and aren't adverse to trying new things once to see if they like them.
There is a large gap between just trying new things and squid livers!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
There is a large gap between just trying new things and squid livers!
Very true. My kids will try pate or octopus...but we are not talking crazy foods

Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Very true. My kids will try pate or octopus...but we are not talking crazy foods
That is what gets so many adult.....and they pass the false idea to their kids...just because isn't something you may have had before doesn't make it gross or wierd.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Both of mine do okay and will try things. They don't have sophisticated palates but they aren't super picky either. Recall going on a cruise years ago and the first night they ate off the kid menu with Mac and cheese, hot dogs, etc. I convinced both of them to try the adult menu with much more variety and truly spectacular food. They did and liked it and continued throughout the cruise. The only problem was when we got home, they wanted me to make all these dishes, lol.

I will give them credit in trying things. My daughter even ate grandma's fish even though she can't stand it. I make just one meal and both are pretty good about eating what is served. Kids even love their veggies and have begged for things like Brussel sprouts which I'm so-so on. When they were much younger, I would make them something else if hubby and I were eating something really spicy for example. Otherwise they eat what we eat. They are much better than I was at their age.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was watching a show today in which David Burtka (Neil Patrick Harris' husband) was saying that since he is a gourmet cook, their 4 year old twins eat everything and have very mature taste in foods. He mentioned they like duck liver pate, and oysters.
When my kids were small, I was not a gourmet cook, but they did eat whatever I made, with a very few exceptions.
Do you have an "eat it and like it" policy?
It makes no sense to offer kids bland food as if they require it.

They don't.

There is no such thing as kids' taste. Hundreds of millions of children in India eating spicy vegetables right now. They are still kids. There's no reason that we have to give the kids in this country a stupid hot dog.

My kid eats everything he enjoys. And we force nothing on him. Since before he was 2, he has had Thai food, Indian food, Japanese food, American food, German food, etc.

He is 3. If I order spicy tofu pad thai (not mild, not medium), he will eat a good third of it. BTW, I'm not asking him to eat it. It's my spicy pad thai. And he keeps stealing it.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:14 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
My kid can be a bit funny with food. Sometimes she's picky and sometimes she's not. She used to be really picky about "kid food" actually and would never eat chicken nuggets or fish fingers or things like that.

I make one meal unless its something I know that she certainly doesn't like, for instance if I'm making blended soup then I'll take her portion out before I whizz it with the immersion blender, or give her leftovers from the day before. In fact blended soup is pretty much the only thing she absolutely won't eat. With everything else I expect her to try a few mouthfuls before deciding against eating it.

I wouldn't say she has a sophisticated palate but she likes fish, eats the little ones whole (heads, bones and all), she used to be really into head cheese but went off it about a year ago. She likes blood sausage (going to try her with blood pancakes next) She eats much better at daycare than at home, I think its the influence of other children and maybe thinking she doesn't have the option to not eat it, but apparently she eats it all usually and often takes seconds. She likes veggies frozen or raw but isn't so keen on them cooked. And doesn't really like berries which I find odd. I don't make spicy food as I don't like it so I don't know if she likes it.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:37 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It makes no sense to offer kids bland food as if they require it.

They don't.

There is no such thing as kids' taste. Hundreds of millions of children in India eating spicy vegetables right now. They are still kids. There's no reason that we have to give the kids in this country a stupid hot dog.

My kid eats everything he enjoys. And we force nothing on him. Since before he was 2, he has had Thai food, Indian food, Japanese food, American food, German food, etc.

He is 3. If I order spicy tofu pad thai (not mild, not medium), he will eat a good third of it. BTW, I'm not asking him to eat it. It's my spicy pad thai. And he keeps stealing it.
It might do well to think, perhaps, this is just your kid? Your kids uniqueness? We also eat a wide variety of ethnic foods and so do our kids. But my son can not tolerate anything remotely spicy. Just like some adults can't. It is also true preferences change over the lifetime of a human. I know for me, anything acidic when I was a kid tasted like poison. Tomatoes, bell peppers, anything vinegar. That changed as I aged.

I also have an Indian friend and one from Pakistan who told me they do not feed their kids spicy foods back home, and have "kid foods" (although very different then ours).

Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
In our home you ate what was put on the table or you did not eat.
We were not allowed to be picky about food.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:51 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
I don't know about sophisticated, but my daughter (4) will eat things like chicken curry, or lobster, or duck breast, and will not eat mac and cheese, or PBJ sandwiches, or chicken nuggets. She likes good food and is not afraid of a "stronger" taste. Loves many spices, mustard etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting