Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:20 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was watching a show today in which David Burtka (Neil Patrick Harris' husband) was saying that since he is a gourmet cook, their 4 year old twins eat everything and have very mature taste in foods. He mentioned they like duck liver pate, and oysters.
When my kids were small, I was not a gourmet cook, but they did eat whatever I made, with a very few exceptions.
Do you have an "eat it and like it" policy?
Yeah! Let's take advice from them!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:45 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Yeah! Let's take advice from them!!!!!
I don't believe they were really giving advice...just talking about their children. They do seem like great parents though so what's the issue?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I don't believe they were really giving advice...just talking about their children. They do seem like great parents though so what's the issue?
You know I am for same sex families, and have been good friends with same sex parents. But I don't like this couple. They are trying too hard to appear perfect. Who can blame them? With all they are up against. But I find them annoying and don't believe them.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:40 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Of course there is.

In my world, pate and squid are "weird" foods, meaning they are nowhere near our regular menu and most likely way outside our budget. I don't tell my kids they are weird and icky or whatever. They're not on our radar at all.

Besides a couple of years around 6-8 years old for my older son, both of my kids weren't afraid to try new things, though none of that was what I would call exotic either. Neither of them ever stuck with mac-n-cheese (no one actually likes it in my family) and chicken nuggets or hot dogs.

The octopus eyeballs and squirrel livers were my attempt at humorous extreme examples. Sorry no one seemed to get that.
Squid is pretty nasty anyway, such a rubbery texture. But pate has always been a normal food in my world, kinda weird to think that it would be considered weird or adventurous, or expensive (its cheap really). I loved pate and cucumber sandwiches as a kid - I recommend them.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Cut the squid into pieces like onion rings, and fry them like onion rings, or tempura whatever. They're way better than most people think. The rubbery texture is when you cook it wrong.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:56 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
I had it in paella in Spain, blaming the cook then but not sure I'll give it another try

Old 04-17-2015, 07:43 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I don't believe in 'sophisticated' palates. I just believe food is food and there's nothing particularly impressive in trying foods and eating foods from all over the world. The people there eat it, don't they?
Kids should be given a wide variety of well-prepared food.
Kid's lucky his dad is a chef.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:14 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Cut the squid into pieces like onion rings, and fry them like onion rings, or tempura whatever. They're way better than most people think. The rubbery texture is when you cook it wrong.
There is am lot of badly cook squid / calamari out there...but I agreee...cooked as it should be it's not rubbery at sll.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:42 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
In our home you ate what was put on the table or you did not eat.
We were not allowed to be picky about food.
In our house too. But it isn't as though we were forced to eat anything, there were never any battles, we were just hungry, it was dinnertime, and we ate whatever had been cooked.
I don't get why things have changed so much in the past generation. Especially when so many mothers work outside the home, and time to fix meals is more limited, it seems like there should be less catering to individual whims than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting