Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:19 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times

Advertisements

Ohhhh this made me a bit teary.
First off, congrats on a job well done and as a parent facing the same thing, hugs!

My DS will be completing his Doctorate of Physical Therapy in Dec. when he was in undergrad my job moved us 2000 miles from his University, fortunately he only had a year left and blessings to us, he got into a PT program that was in our new city. Now, graduation is 7 months away and he is considering going into either a traveling PT program or a rural program to help pay down his school loan debt. I am so excited for him but I dread the day he passes his national boards and heads off to Timbuktoo for a year or two.

I know its selfish as a parent but I don't want my kids to move away, I want them near me. They are my life and I cannot imagine only seeing them once or twice a year. That whole thought just makes me very sad. I hope and pray that DS finds a way to stay somewhat close.

Congrats again, job well done Dad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 04:25 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Book you and your spouse a weekend get away or a concert or a play. Something to look forward too and take your mind off of your daughter moving out. I can't tell you not to feel bad because you are going to anyway. It's the perfect time to do something off of your bucket list!

Old 04-17-2015, 05:05 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Definitely natural to be sad especially as a proud parent and obviously loving mother but.... take a bow.... you've done good!

Now... enjoy the rest of your life! Remember... she can always visit you, and vice versa!

Old 04-17-2015, 06:47 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
You can do what my parents did after both my brother and I moved out. They got two dogs, and treat them like they are their new children and spoil them rotten, lol. My brother and I joke that the two dogs are my parents' new favorite children.

I live 6 hours and several states away from my parents, and rarely make it home (maybe 2-3x a year). Luckily they are still close enough where they can come down to the city and visit relatively easily without having to plan some big trip.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
or you could become foster parents or adopt or Big Brother and Big Sister.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:45 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I fully understand. It's a bit of an emotional time when one of them leaves. Our son, the youngest, will be moving in about 6 weeks, 3 time time zones away--Midwest to Southwest. He received a fabulous job offer post college graduation.

Even though while in college he's only been here for one summer, this is big and really, really makes our nest empty. His university is only 30 minutes away so it's been easy to see him.

Our oldest moved about an 1.5 hours away three years ago when she finished college and started working. 1.5 hours is easy. Now, she may also move in about 6 weeks, about 5 hours away. Her long term boyfriend is waiting to hear about two jobs as he finishes his M.A. One is in the city she lives in now. The other is a larger city 5 hours away. She can work from home so will move with him.

The idea of both of them moving farther at once makes me a bit teary eyed and certainly has provided a lot of food for reflective thought on what being a mother has meant to me and what it will mean in the future.

DH and I have been enjoying a practice empty nest for the past three years. It's fun and relaxing, but darn it, I'm going to miss that having that son of ours nearby. (BTW--no pets for this house--it might cut into our ability to be flexible with travel and fun!)

So to all the parents out there prepping for the little birds to really fly the nest--congratulations and hugs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting