Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,233 times

Advertisements

I was having a conversation with someone and he mentioned that his six-year-old daughter was upset she was the only one in class that has not seen The Walking Dead.

Why are children watching this show? I was under the impression its intended audience were adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:13 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
I find that very unlikely. Probably most of them just talk as if they do watch it to impress their friends.

You are right, though, there is nothing about it that is appropriate for kids.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:17 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
If my son says "all the kids in my class" it means "one kid in my class"

Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I was having a conversation with someone and he mentioned that his six-year-old daughter was upset she was the only one in class that has not seen The Walking Dead.

Why are children watching this show? I was under the impression its intended audience were adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
If my son says "all the kids in my class" it means "one kid in my class"
That has happened to me, too. The few times that my kids tried that on me, I actually did a roll call of their class.
"Does Johnny do X?" Long, long pause from child, then a quiet, sheepish "No"
"Does Mary do X?" Long, long pause from child, then a quiet, sheepish "No"
"Does Jose do X?" Long, long pause from child, then a quiet, sheepish "No"

And it usually turned out that "every child in my class" actually was one or two kids, or maybe even no kids at all.

IF a first grader actually watches The Walking Dead it is probably because their parents aren't home or are too drunk or stoned to notice, or care, what their six year old was actually doing.

BTW, I personally know adults who need to close their eyes during the most bloody/grossest scenes or have had nightmare after watching the show. It is certainly not suitable for young children.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-17-2015 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 06:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
I doubt it.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:29 PM

519 posts, read 776,903 times
Sure would. I don't sugarcoat the world for my kids.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
Sure would. I don't sugarcoat the world for my kids.
Yup, six year old children need to be totally prepared to handle a zombie apocalypse, including killing zombies, dealing with all the crazy people, evading cannibals, etc. (sarcasm).

Old 04-17-2015, 10:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
I won't let my 9 year old watch it because she'll have nightmares afterwards.

We've known some kids whose parents let them watch anything they wanted. Some kids can handle it, others can't. My oldest has been drawing zombies and other horror-type images since she was 5 or 6...some of her teachers were concerned in the past, but that's just what she's interested in drawing.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post

As horror shows go it's mild....but it's not for 6 year olds....and I am hardly the Pollyanna when it comes to media. Maybe it works for some families....but I really doubt its that common. It could very well be that the other kids know their parents and older siblings watch it and want to be in on the popularity. They may know, in general the theme....but I have to doubt that everyone watches full episodes each week.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:43 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,310 times
I hear this same thing in my son's school and he is in middle school. Hubby and I love the show. Bribed him to watch the first episode to get over his fear of scary movies. He is almost 13. My poor judgement. Poor kid came into our room and spent the night in my bed. It was way too intense for him. My daughter at 15 loves the show. Others not so much. Watching the show as a 6 year old...no way.

Again you have to know the audience. I loved anything horror, especially comic books, as a kid. Not sure if I could handle a show like the Walking Dead at that age. Recall watching Night of the Living Dead ( the original) in high school and being utterly terrified....back in the 70 s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting