Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times

Advertisements

Celebrities have every right to express their opinions. We can choose to listen or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:15 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I believe that certain vaccines cause autism. So I welcome anyone that tries to protect innocent children from them.
And you are incorrect.

Data - please read the science:

Vaccines and Autism: A Tale of Shifting Hypotheses
http://www.autismsciencefoundation.o...dvaccines.html

Anecdote:

How My Daughter Taught Me that Vaccines Do Not Cause Autism Voices For Vaccines

Because we diagnose behaviorally, it is often difficult to see the signs early, but in many cases, those signs are there at birth or very early.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:49 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
okay well this is how autism got linked to vaccines . Sorry but I don't need some hippy dippy celeb or hippy dippy parent telling me about medical advice or why I should not vaccinate my child . Im glad my kids don't fall into that hippy dippy philosophy of non vaccinating kids . Also I do believe that our government should make a law that if a parent fails to vaccinate their child and they get sick and they pass it to another person , they should be held responsible for that person's medical bills and if they die they should be held responsible to legal ramifications whatever they may be .

Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I am VERY pro-vax. However, as much as I loved reading Kristen Bell's new op-Ed in Huffington Post, it made me wonder if anyone will actually be swayed by this type of article.
Press is press. Those who haven't made much of a decision and like Kristen Bell may take time to read an article. . that they may otherwise ignore. Though I would note that it won't convince any anti-vax nuts. Studies show when confronted with data they dig their heels in deeper. Belief can't be countered with truth or reality.

Celebrities are press. Should John Oliver open everyones eyes to patent reform? why not. . maybe a few more people will pay attention.

Quote:
Do you feel celebrities should be giving parenting advice? I feel as though people should be persuaded by their pediatrician, family medicine doctor, or the smart scientists over at the CDC- not a pretty face in Hollywood. Idk.
as I said. Another touchpoint, another education point. Maybe they haven't been paying attention to their pediatrician but decide to read up on it because of Kirsten Bell.

Quote:
Maybe I am over-analyzing. It just seemed very "Jenny McCarthy" to me.
Well the issue with any source is looking into the data that backs it up. Jenny didn't have any medical literature behind her and she made statements. People paid attention. Its just life.

Though people should take your advice. read the journals, advice from peditrian, etc. But not everyone is that smart.

Should celebrities be listened to? probably not

Will they be? yes. Deal with it.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
And you are incorrect.

Anecdote:

Because we diagnose behaviorally, it is often difficult to see the signs early, but in many cases, those signs are there at birth or very early.
This, exactly.

I read an article the other day that noted that doctors often dismiss the signs reported by parents, even when they are apparent in very young children.

Some Doctors Still Dismiss Parents' Concerns About Autism : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 04-20-2015, 08:57 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
I believe that certain vaccines cause autism. So I welcome anyone that tries to protect innocent children from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
And you are incorrect.

Anecdote:

When confronted with facts and data people of faith become more anchored in their wrong headed belief. Your time is better spent pissing into a fan.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 AM

797 posts, read 1,750,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Press is press. Those who haven't made much of a decision and like Kristen Bell may take time to read an article. . that they may otherwise ignore. Though I would note that it won't convince any anti-vax nuts. Studies show when confronted with data they dig their heels in deeper. Belief can't be countered with truth or reality.

Celebrities are press. Should John Oliver open everyones eyes to patent reform? why not. . maybe a few more people will pay attention.

as I said. Another touchpoint, another education point. Maybe they haven't been paying attention to their pediatrician but decide to read up on it because of Kirsten Bell.

Well the issue with any source is looking into the data that backs it up. Jenny didn't have any medical literature behind her and she made statements. People paid attention. Its just life.

Though people should take your advice. read the journals, advice from peditrian, etc. But not everyone is that smart.

Should celebrities be listened to? probably not

Will they be? yes. Deal with it.

You make very valid points!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay well this is how autism got linked to vaccines . Sorry but I don't need some hippy dippy celeb or hippy dippy parent telling me about medical advice or why I should not vaccinate my child . Im glad my kids don't fall into that hippy dippy philosophy of non vaccinating kids . Also I do believe that our government should make a law that if a parent fails to vaccinate their child and they get sick and they pass it to another person , they should be held responsible for that person's medical bills and if they die they should be held responsible to legal ramifications whatever they may be .

While I am all for mandatory vaccination in schools, and I truly believe that parents should vaccinate their children, I do feel there is a slippery slope when we start holding people accountable for the spread of disease. What if a vaccinated child were to contract a disease and said vaccinated child spreads it to someone else. Can you then sue the vaccinated person? Or does it only become an issue when an unvaccinated person spreads disease? Furthermore, I think a huge problem as to why we have disease outbreaks is because people do not stay home when they are sick. For example I see adults constantly going out in public and going to work while sick. My cousin was just saying the other day how she has the flu and has been at work all week. Some diseases are contagious before you even know you have symptoms. Obviously those we cannot avoid spreading because we simply may not know we're sick. However if you're sick you should stay home. People should wear masks if they have to go out in public. By going out in public while sick I am referring to going to *essential* places such as the doctors office or the pharmacy to pick up medication or a grocery store to pick up food. There's no need to send a sick child to storytime at the library or to the movies. Yet I see it all the time. It is so frustrating and is truly why we have so much spread of disease nowadays. People are careless and selfish, regardless of whether or not they vaccinate. But, you should still vaccinate yourself and your children

Last edited by sunshinelove0000; 04-20-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:

This is NOT a debate forum to debate vaccines and whether or not the cause autism. So you can go over to the politics forum if you care to discuss that. By the way, it's been proven that vaccines do NOT cause autism. Please stop promoting disease by encouraging people to no be vaccinated based on false pretenses. This isn't 1998. Wakefield lied. Please do some sound research

Old 04-20-2015, 09:18 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Well, I found the article interesting. As a soon to be first time parent, I appreciate all the links that it provided. I am very skeptical of pharmaceutical companies and government agencies, but I have felt that vaccination is important. I plan to vaccinate my children.

The part of the article that resonates most with me was this:

"It is heartbreaking to me that the FDA and other government agencies have so eroded any trust that even when they are doing a good job it is overlooked or discredited. These agencies need reform so we can once again feel safe to take them at their word. I am confident that if our families can come together to demand transparency and separation between corporate interests and the safety of our children, we will be able to create the kind of trustworthy oversight we need."

I really agree with that and I honestly find it a little depressing. It takes a lot of time to do your own research on everything and make an informed decision and I personally don't feel that I can trust our government agencies to have my best interests at heart. I spend a ridiculous amount of time researching things these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting