Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:40 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,766,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Also, teenage girls lie or withhold information to their Mom or Dad more often than I would have believed. They have bought into this my body, my business tommyrot.

Then they tell Mom or Dad whatever they want them to know whenever they are ready.
Well, let's be honest....do mom and/or dad need to know about every menstrual cycle their daughter is having?

I NEVER told my dad .... and like I said, it shocked the &*^% out of me when my grandpa asked me and then my mom about it!!

None of their business!!

Just as it was none of my business about my sons' nocturnal emissions, etc. They all did their own laundry, too. Win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 04:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
My girls are careless and not always well prepared. IF they had some reason to hide their cycles from me, I'd know from the dirty underwear.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Non of us knows what other girls tell or don't tell their parents. Some kids are comfortable saying something others are not. It has nothing to do with parents can't keep a secret or other nonsense. It's a personal matter. No need to think too much of it.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 04-19-2015 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 05:53 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Well, let's be honest....do mom and/or dad need to know about every menstrual cycle their daughter is having?

I NEVER told my dad .... and like I said, it shocked the &*^% out of me when my grandpa asked me and then my mom about it!!

None of their business!!

Just as it was none of my business about my sons' nocturnal emissions, etc. They all did their own laundry, too. Win-win.
At least the first one.

I was so sad, I was 11.
I was playing outside and noticed. I cried, I hated it from the very second it started. I finally went into tell her, she gave me a pad and went about her business. I wasnt allowed to use tampons till I was 14. I hated my mom for that too. She had illogical reason as to why I wasn't allowed.

My friend who started at 13 was taken to the store to pick out what brand pads and tampons she wanted to use instead of just using whatever her mom used.

If I have a daughter I'll be doing what my friends mom did. Her parts her choice. Ill educate her on both.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:53 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Non of us knows what other families and other girls tell or don't tell their parents. Some kids are comfortable saying something others are not. It has nothing to do with parents can't keep a secret or other nonsense. It's a personal matter. No need to think too much of it.
I'm just talking about my experience as a pubescent girl. Even if we are shy, we all talk about it together. Some moms joked a lot about it and telling people. Those girls didn't tell their moms for a long time. Some moms treated it with respect. Those girls told their moms right away. I'm sure their shades of grey but that is what I saw growing up.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
At least the first one.

I was so sad, I was 11.
I was playing outside and noticed. I cried, I hated it from the very second it started. I finally went into tell her, she gave me a pad and went about her business. I wasnt allowed to use tampons till I was 14. I hated my mom for that too. She had illogical reason as to why I wasn't allowed.

My friend who started at 13 was taken to the store to pick out what brand pads and tampons she wanted to use instead of just using whatever her mom used.

If I have a daughter I'll be doing what my friends mom did. Her parts her choice. Ill educate her on both.
I let my daughter pick what she wanted, which was tampons right from the beginning. I'm allergic to some tampons so I suggested she stick with the brand that worked for me, at least at first.

Now I'm wishing she'd switch to a cup like I have, so that we wouldn't have the mess in the trash can. She's lazy about emptying the can and I don't really go in her bathroom that much so it gets bad sometimes.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:10 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEcZmT0fiNM

Funny...

Old 04-19-2015, 11:04 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,876 times
Actually, I never fully told my mom. I got my period when I was 13.

My friends gave me supplies, I snuck them from my mom's supplies, or I bought them with my lunch money.

Sometimes, I made pads from toilet paper.

I just wasn't close to my mom at all and didn't want to tell her about it.

I'm assuming she knows now that I'm (almost) 27.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:48 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
I just told my older sister. My mom worked so much she wasn't around much.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:07 AM

509 posts, read 554,465 times
I waited a good 6 months before telling my mom, and only then because she had signed me up for swimming lessons and I didn't have any tampons.
Why?
Because we had/ have a terrible relationship and don't talk about "that type of stuff". It's been almost 40 years and I still have a hard time talking to her about anything that she may consider taboo (sex, childbirth, marriage, women's issues...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting