Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 04:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Old 04-22-2015, 04:13 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Is it just me or did this thread derail into crazy train territory?

Old 04-22-2015, 04:34 PM

111 posts, read 133,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
What's wrong with pink and purple?? Perfectly good colors. Generally, it's the cut and style of clothing which makes it tasteful, or not so much so.

Do you have any idea how many little girls claim pink and/or purple as their favorite colors? Yes, some of it is market-driven - that notorious "pink aisle" in the toy section at all the big box stores illustrates this - but colors in themselves have little to do with inappropriateness of dress.

I've seen photos of Paris Hilton wearing a wide variety of styles over the year. She designs and sells ladies' handbags which are rather nice. So are some of her clothes, while others are not particularly tasteful.

I agree that little girls are not best clad in imitation adult clothing, and should wear age-appropriate garments. Maybe I live a more sheltered life, but I've seen very few little girls who resemble Paris Hilton lately. Now if you want to talk about girls in their early to mid-teens, you might have a point, as what's commercially available for this age group is often far too revealing, imho. Teens have a way of pushing parental buttons, so clothing can become a battleground, no question.

But let's leave pink and purple out of it. Gotta pick your battles for that ground, after all.

I guess there are probably some differences between the U.S. and Germany. Of course here in Germany there are also little girls in pink and purple. But it's really more a lower class thing. Better educated parents would try do avoid those colours or at least they are able to combine those colours so the whole appearance is still nice. I am not sure whether we have such "pink aisles" in our stores. There is only one chain that operates a few big box stores and those stores are mostly attended by lower class people.
In Germany it is very easy to distinguish the people according to their fashion sense. Lower educated people are often shoddy dressed, often in shrill colours. That has nothing to do with a lack of money, it is just a lack of intellectual abilities.

Here is a good example how stupid people are dressed in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXFTNASmxsM

I didn't know that Paris Hilton designs clothes and I also don't know how she looks like. Here in Germany the name Paris Hilton is like a synonym for stupidity, a **** or a hooker. Scum, dregs, trailer trash. If you want to insult a woman call her Paris Hilton. I thought she were seen that way everywhere in the world.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:56 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westphal View Post
I didn't know that Paris Hilton designs clothes and I also don't know how she looks like. Here in Germany the name Paris Hilton is like a synonym for stupidity, a **** or a hooker. Scum, dregs, trailer trash. If you want to insult a woman call her Paris Hilton. I thought she were seen that way everywhere in the world.
I'm not one to say nice things about Paris Hilton, but in the US woman that wealthy might be considered tasteless, over-pampered, and tacky, but the terms "hooker, scum, dregs, trailer trash" would not be applied.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:59 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It didn't derail, it started out off the rails.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westphal View Post
I guess there are probably some differences between the U.S. and Germany. Of course here in Germany there are also little girls in pink and purple. But it's really more a lower class thing. Better educated parents would try do avoid those colours or at least they are able to combine those colours so the whole appearance is still nice. I am not sure whether we have such "pink aisles" in our stores. There is only one chain that operates a few big box stores and those stores are mostly attended by lower class people.
In Germany it is very easy to distinguish the people according to their fashion sense. Lower educated people are often shoddy dressed, often in shrill colours. That has nothing to do with a lack of money, it is just a lack of intellectual abilities.

Here is a good example how stupid people are dressed in Germany:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXFTNASmxsM

LOL. You do realize the woman in the video has on a pink shirt, right.

Here is some upscale German children's clothing.

Girl Archives | Dashin Fashion
plenty of pink and purple for the younger set.

German Pink Panther hoodie
Devilish cool toddlers bomber jacket "Pink Panther" with little Horns

Pink dirndls from Germany some purple, some other colors.
Children Dirndls online - Buy Children Dirndls cheap - online shop for authentic Children Dirndls - traditional german clothes

Old 04-22-2015, 05:09 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankergrun View Post
Do you agree?
No, I do not agree.

I work with a lot of Parents of young/middle school age children at my job. They are doing a great job. They get an A+ from me.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Nah, not just you, but it is amusing.

Germans who hate the names Kevin and Chantal?

The only Chantal, I know, btw, was Chantal Teller, mother of Astro (formerly Eric) Teller who is google's x-man.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-googles-x-man

Quote:
Eric Teller grew up in Evanston. His paternal grandfather was physicist Edward Teller of hydrogen bomb fame. His maternal grandfather was Gerard Debreu, a Nobel economist. Mr. Teller's father, Paul Teller, taught the philosophy of science at the University of Illinois at Chicago. His mother, Chantal DeSoto, was a clothing designer and buyer for Sears Roebuck & Co. and later taught gifted children.
Chantal was extremely bright as were her children, Astro and Alex. Interestingly, I have no idea what Alex is doing now, but I am sure he is successful at whatever he is doing.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
It definitely wins weirdest thread of the day.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:42 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
Ah yes...a pining for the good ol' days of getting up at 4 am to milk the cows, feed the goats, and work in the fields before school. Then walking uphill in snow barefoot to school...both ways. Nothing but bread and water to eat. Gruel on Sundays.

Yep, kids these days are so soft.

OP, how are your kids?

What an odd thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting