Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM

28,075 posts, read 29,920,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
Everyone I talked with personally and who knows us says it was "CREEPY" and "INAPPROPRIATE" except for a few people on here who of course can say so anonymously.
I would think that my explanation would have been helpful and reassuring to you. Apparently you are determined to think the worst, though, so there's probably nothing more I can really say to change your mind.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:53 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,350,417 times
I've raised three without any major mishaps.

I guarantee you that nobody from the LDS church is going to come anywhere near Pammy's house again. Take a deep breath, and relax. No harm done. Somebody played a joke on Pammy's daughter. That's all it was.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:53 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,496,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Excuse me with what is going on in the world today we have to be watching our kids like hawks , how many children have you successfully raised if you don't mind me asking ? seems to me you are very cavalier with your safety and that of children . sorry but that is what I am reading and what the heck has my being catholic got anything to do with the safety of kids ? wow talk about assuming a lot . Paranoid no vigilant yes .
Tell us exactly "what is going on in the world today?" Religious bigotry apparently.

Goodness there are a lot of fragile snowflakes out there.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:58 PM

28,075 posts, read 29,920,119 times
Quote:
Excuse me with what is going on in the world today we have to be watching our kids like hawks , how many children have you successfully raised if you don't mind me asking ?
Two, both now in their 30s.

Quote:
seems to me you are very cavalier with your safety and that of children .
What an odd thing to say. While my children were young, "cavalier" is the last thing I was with regards to the safety of my children. I was probably more vigilant than the average parent.

Quote:
sorry but that is what I am reading and what the heck has my being catholic got anything to do with the safety of kids ? wow talk about assuming a lot . Paranoid no vigilant yes .
I just looked up your profile to see what I could figure out about you. People usually have a reason for responding to posts the way you did. Your post really did sound paranoid to me. Mormons are not dangerous people, and until I read your post, I'd never heard a Catholic make this accusation. As I said before, Mormons and Catholics generally get along very well.

17,183 posts, read 22,890,804 times
Quote:
Excuse me with what is going on in the world today we have to be watching our kids like hawks , how many children have you successfully raised if you don't mind me asking ? seems to me you are very cavalier with your safety and that of children . sorry but that is what I am reading and what the heck has my being catholic got anything to do with the safety of kids ? wow talk about assuming a lot . Paranoid no vigilant yes .
These folks came to your house. You were home. How did that endanger your child? I do think this is a bit paranoid.

We have had Jehovah's Witnesses, Baptist Missionaries and LDS missionaries around and they don't seem to be endangering anyone. I say, "no, thanks," and they leave. My dh had Catholic Missionaries come round when he was in college staying at a Baptist Minister's house for the summer. I think he *endangered* them more than they endangered him as he was Jewish and they said *come back to the faith of your ancestors" so he said "you mean pagan?*

9,891 posts, read 11,752,250 times
Quote:
Most of the missionaries I see now are walking, but I've never seen one driving a car. That would be the only thing that would have really weirded me out.

OP, you are really overreacting here. If she didn't give them her name, most likely a friend did.
Depends on the amount of area they are serving. Some may only be serving their mission within a few blocks in a big city, and others will be serving a 100 square mile area. The ones that only serve a small area, will ride bicycles and sometimes walk. Others would find it impossible to serve their mission, without cars. Women missionaries will be even more apt to be in cars than the young men, due to their being more vulnerable.

And yes, some one gave his daughters name.

Quote:
What kind of parent wouldn't be concerned about strangers coming to the house knowing a minor's name and address (She does not know anyone in that Church nor does she want to), it creeped her out too and she racked her brain trying to think if she had signed anything by accident and she could not.
The odds are, that your daughter knows a number of Mormon young people. They don't go around wearing funny clothes, or carrying signs saying they are Mormon. The odds are, that some of your friends and working acquaintances are Mormons, and you do not know it. They are people, that look like others in their neighborhood, and wear the same type clothes, etc. You have no way of knowing if they are Mormons or not, nor does your daughter.

Mormons have been governors of states, and no one knew it. The former speaker of the house and now Minority leader of the Senate in Washington, is a Mormon. Many top business leaders are Mormons. You have no way of knowing if your insurance agent, or the person that sold you your car, furniture, your groceries, you doctor is a Mormon, unless you know what their religion is or they tell you they are Mormons. The thing about Mormons, the majority of them are better educated, and a larger percentage of them are professionals, than the public at large and many of them are very prominent. You need to understand they are all around you, and are people you are in contact with every day.

Quote:
Everyone I talked with personally and who knows us says it was "CREEPY" and "INAPPROPRIATE" except for a few people on here who of course can say so anonymously.
What is creepy and inappropriate. They would only have your daughters name and address, if your daughter or a friend gave it to them. They would not have any way of knowing she was a young teen. All they would have known, is someone told them your daughter wanted to talk to them so they were in the neighborhood and called on her.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:04 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,495,114 times
Thread is more about a religious denomination than parenting. If you want to discuss Mormonism or any other religion please do a search in the appropriate forum under Religion and Spirituality.

This one is closed, kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.