Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I saved mine for the daughter I never had (three sons). Then I heard about this organization, and it seemed like the perfect place to let it go:

The Angel Gown® Program | NICU Helping Hands
That's just amazingly awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 05:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Most women I know wanted to recreate an aspect of their mother's wedding, but not the whole thing. I had one friend who wore this headpiece, that was passed down, and she and all her sisters wore it with their veils. My mother had a simple wedding in a suit, but she embroidered a simple handkerchief that went into her suit pocket -- that was her blue. We all carried it at our weddings. My sister came closest -- she wore a dress the same color as my mother's suit. She wore a gardenia in her hair, my mother carried a gardenia on her Bible (where she was from women didn't do a bouquet, they carried a Bible with a flower), and her wedding ring was tri-color -- like my mom's... also -- they were both married on a Friday the 13th.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
My mom had hers professionally preserved. (she saves everything) And of course I was too big for it. We sewed a new bodice and attached the skirt. As I recall we had a fight about the pattern I chose for the top. As for the dress, I didn't have strong feelings about it either way, I like vintage stuff. To me, it was just a vintage skirt I could wear and saved a money by doing so. I remade her little hat/veil to wear which I liked

a) my parents did not have a particularly happy marriage
b) my mom was a selfish nincompoop during the 6 months leading up to my wedding and made my life a living hell on a number of issues.

After my wedding, my mom paid to have mine professionally preserved (I don't even know what that entails) and it is in a box in my attic. Then I got divorced, so to me there is no particular luck associated with it. My girls will not be likely to want it, and that is fine with me, since I would probably discourage them from wearing it.

I guess I'll let my little granddaughters play dress up with it someday.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
If you can get $$ I say go for it. Here is something else to consider if you don't want to do that right away...let other people borrow it NOW. A friend of mine got married a year before me and when I was admiring her dress during the reception she told me I could borrow it if I wanted to. I did. But not before someone ELSE wore it too! I don't know how many weddings that dress saw but in the end she did pack it away and even though her daughters didn't wear the dress it had been well loved and well used. I am forever thankful I didn't have to spend money on a dress I wore for 4 hours.

When I wore it I added my own hat, which I didn't bother keeping.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:42 PM

87 posts, read 167,434 times
My mother was kind enough to have my gown preserved for me, as at the time being a young bride I didn't have the money to do that myself. I was married almost 25 years ago and have elementary school aged daughters now. I'm fairly certain it will be WAY out of style by the time they get married.

However, I want them to have that choice. I will not be hurt or offended in the least if they want nothing to do with it, but I want them to have the choice, especially if something should happen to me and I wasn't there for their wedding day.

And many brides choose to not actually wear the dress. They could make a handkerchief from it or sew some of it into the hem of their dress. Probably would mean the most to those girls whose parents are still married when they get married....

Keeping your veil would likely accomplish the same sentiment if you choose not to keep the dress.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:45 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,770 times
I'd sell it and spend the money on something meaningful to you and your daughter (i.e. a cool experience you wouldn't have done otherwise, an heimloom-type item). I wouldn't sell it and just blow the money...even if it's not a lot of money.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:03 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
I am debating if I should sell my wedding dress while I can still make some $$$ off of it seeing as it is still in style. I would keep the veil to pass on to my daughters. I just feel like the minute I sell the dress I will have regret. What if they wanted to at least have the option to wear my dress, you know? On the other hand, my mom sold her dress and I didn't care (it was quite hideous too lol)....

Moms, what are you planning on doing with your dress?

I'm sure your daughter will want to choose her own wedding dress when that day comes.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:24 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
The odds are very low that she'll be close enough in size for it, the style will fit her wedding style, she will actually like the style of the dress. Also, unless you've paid to have it professionally "preserved" it will probably discolor or the fabric will weaken in the 25 years until she'd need it.

If she doesn't want it you'll be disappointed and / or she'll feel bad for disappointing you. Just sell it or give it away to someone who wants it NOW. You have pictures - you don't need the actual dress anymore!

Old 04-26-2015, 07:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Another thing to consider is whether or not you may want to wear your wedding dress at your anniversary celebrations. I know several women who did for their 10th anniversary parties. I thought about doing it for my silver anniversary, but it did not fit well and did not "age well". However, I did display it, as well as the maid of honor dress that my sister wore and the flower girl dress that my niece wore at the wedding.

Heck, my 40th anniversary is coming up. Perhaps, I need to go on a serious diet. LOL

I wore the headpiece that my mother wore at her wedding. My daughter is welcome to wear it, too, if she gets married and if she wants to wear it.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I think brides really want the thrill of choosing their own wedding dress. Some might choose their mother's dress more out of fear of hurting her feelings than for true preference. I personally would sell the dress and keep my memories of my own wonderful wedding. This would be the safest decision all around IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting