Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Most women who do sex work have some daddy issues. If you don't want your daughter to strip, be sure she has a daddy in her life.
Strippers generally get there because they have economic problems. They need the money. Not all young women have parents who can support them, pay their college tuition, etc.

I do know one woman who was fairly wealthy and a nude dancer when she was in her '20s, but she was the exception rather than the rule. Some professional dancers also do stints as exotic dancers because it's the only job they can find. One stage production a year doesn't pay the rent after the show closes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 02:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Do you realize that just on social media sites alone about 1.8 billion photos get shared daily? What do you think the chances are that someone is going to find photos/videos of you in the future?
How are they going to know it's you? Different name, different hair, different makeup, cover up the tats with concealer (or draw temp ones) and you are good to go.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:51 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,429,348 times
I have sons, not daughters. Now if one of my sons became a male stripper, I'd tell him to watch out for the cougars and don't take checks.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:32 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
I've been to my share of strip clubs in my life. From talking to them there are different types - a lot of the girls do it for a few months to a year and never do it again. It's by far the most lucrative thing a young-ish woman can do - what other job can you get without a degree or relevant experience that will pull $3-400 a shift regularly? You can easily work 3 nights a week and make $5K per month.

Some are not that good at it - it does take some skill, another reason some will quit after a few weeks or months.

Those are the normal girls and other than meeting some of the dregs of male society, are not much worse off for the experience.

The other kind... the ones that are veterans... no bueno. I'd say a quite high percentage of the long-term strippers - more than 1 year - do get caught up with drugs... which can lead to prostitution, but the drugs in themselves and resultant addiction are just as serious of a problem.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
As to the OP,
For some families this could be a good economic opportunity. She might even marry somebody in the same occupation. The way this country is going, that might also be seen in a positive light.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:07 PM

31,027 posts, read 22,059,932 times
I don't have children but it would be ok if she brought some friends home

Old 04-28-2015, 04:12 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I'd be concerned about her safety because generally the cretins that go to strip clubs are not the type of people one would want to be associated with. If she needed money that badly I would prefer her to move back in with me until she finds something safer and is back on her feet...but ultimately it would be her decision as an adult, and all I could do is express my concern and try to share my wisdom.
Doctors, lawyers, teachers, police officers, corporate CEOs... These are cretins that people shouldn't associate with? Okay...

When I was younger, I worked as a bouncer in a strip club. You'd be amazed at the number of "ordinary" people who were frequent regulars. On average, the girls that worked there made anywhere from $1500-$2000 on a weekend. I can understand the appeal of that kind of money for a girl in her early twenties. That being said, I'd be less than pleased if my daughter chose stripping as a career...

Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 PM

31,027 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Doctors, lawyers, teachers, police officers, corporate CEOs... These are cretins that people shouldn't associate with? Okay...

When I was younger, I worked as a bouncer in a strip club. You'd be amazed at the number of "ordinary" people who were frequent regulars. On average, the girls that worked there made anywhere from $1500-$2000 on a weekend. I can understand the appeal of that kind of money for a girl in her early twenties. That being said, I'd be less than pleased if my daughter chose stripping as a career...
Yep, all types of men, women, and even wives and girlfriends will go to strip clubs. You know that for all those $1500 to $2000 per week end women there are 10 that barely cover their fee.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
You have no idea what strippers do in the VIP room, do ya?
A consequence of pole dancing being normalized and sold as exercise no doubt. Its not our grandfathers burlesque show anymore.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
If you had a daughter and she got a job stripping how would you feel about it? Would you support her, reject her, go into a depression etc.?

I really don't know how I'd act if mine did, not that she ever would, but I know I would feel pretty disappointed she couldn't do anything else.
As a father I would not support her, nor reject her, nor go into a depression (I don't have any children). I'd definitely like to hear her rationale (and exit plan) and make sure she was aware of all the dangers / pitfalls that may arise due to the choice she makes.

I'd feel like I failed as parent if she ended up being just another piece of flesh on a stage at a young age emoting crass erotic poses. But, if she truly differentiated herself by being an artist of exotic dance / burlesque / belly dance and a master of tease with training toward exceptional body muscle control and really excelled at being a frontline performer - I'd probably feel a small sense of pride in her actually dedicating herself to being the best "Ecdysiast" ever. Especially if she had no other talent than her physical assets. Look out Gypsy Rose Lee! As the prior poster mentioned who studied ballet and then stripped I can see that happening and not being as disappointed as someone who takes the easy way out when they are 20 and never aspires to anything.

While I'm not a customer of strip clubs, I can appreciate someone making the best of what they've got, and contrary to everyone being a 'gifted special flower', there may be an occasional case of - that's what they were best suited for?! Cue the Johnny Kemp song:
"...I bet, you sure look cute, in your birthday suit,
you got your best feature straight from mother nature,
now I bet, you sure look cute, in your birthday suit"

Last edited by ciceropolo; 04-28-2015 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: additional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting