Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I had sex when I was 14. We managed not to get her pregnant. I must have spent half my summer job earnings buying rubbers. She and I continued to have sex on and off through our 20s, but eventually we both moved on to other areas and marriages. We are still friends, and got together for dinner about 5 years ago. It amazes me that people who say that 14 year olds shouldn't have sex don't seem to remember how isolated and alone it you can feel at that age. She and I spent a lot of time having sex, holding each other, having sex, talking to each other, having sex...hey, I was 14. That's how it is at that age. When we dated others and went through the inevitable breakups and personal disasters, we often found solace in each other's arms, where we could talk it out and have sex.

Not all teenagers are fortunate enough to find a lifelong friend like that. It's easy to be cynical and judgmental about teenage relationships, but they are not all bad.
Well the main reason we don't want our teenage kids to have sex so that if they do get pregnant they won't become your responsibility also.

My speech to my son later on is that don't get over-worked being a virgin because when you grow up you will have a lot of sex and it gets better when you're older when you don't have to hide. It's better to wait a little longer. Think of all the people that end up becoming young parents working odd jobs to get by while you can go to college and don't have to worry about dealing with a baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 02:51 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Well the main reason we don't want our teenage kids to have sex so that if they do get pregnant they won't become your responsibility also.

My speech to my son later on is that don't get over-worked being a virgin because when you grow up you will have a lot of sex and it gets better when you're older when you don't have to hide. It's better to wait a little longer. Think of all the people that end up becoming young parents working odd jobs to get by while you can go to college and don't have to worry about dealing with a baby.
I remember once saying to some male friends that the best way to prevent a teenage girl from having sex would be to hand them a vibrator and tell them "no teenage boy can make you feel as good as this."

They laughed uproariously for a few minutes and then conceded that I was probably right.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:55 PM

16 posts, read 16,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
That entire post was dripping with sarcasm. The poster was not at all advocating what you thought it was. Quite the opposite.

Ya think?

Old 05-01-2015, 04:02 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
The situation you describe is HIGHLY unusual. My one ex had sex for the first time at 13. It was an older girl who was clearly disturbed and known to be promiscuous (which probably seemed normal to him at the time, as his mother was like that). His friend went first and my ex waited until she summoned him.

As he put it, he was "NEXT!" It was an experience he clearly regretted 15 years later, and we're talking about a rather hell-bent guy who was never well-acquainted with the concept of regret. He didn't think it should have been magically special, but there was something sordid and awful to him about having sex for the first time as little more than a child with a girl he barely knew behind a tool shed immediately after another boy.
I guess I wasn't clear. Neither the girl or I were virgins the first time we had sex. Both of us had avoided perverts for our first sexual experiences, so we weren't traumatized. I'm sure that made things more pleasant for us.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I guess I wasn't clear. Neither the girl or I were virgins the first time we had sex. Both of us had avoided perverts for our first sexual experiences, so we weren't traumatized. I'm sure that made things more pleasant for us.
Still unusual and very much not the norm.

**shrug**

Old 05-01-2015, 04:49 PM

424 posts, read 381,648 times
Hey, it could be a lot worse:

1. Could have called you from a police station
2. Could have asked you to pick up a pregnancy test
3. Could have called you from an airport in Florida
4. Could have gotten drunk and pooped his pants
5. Could have called you from the back of a strip club

Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
That entire post was dripping with sarcasm. The poster was not at all advocating what you thought it was. Quite the opposite.
Oh....sorry - he should have chosen: or or or to make himself clear.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 PM

756 posts, read 833,879 times
Thumbs down Lol. I Knew it Too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
I want them to go to college because I didn't and now I am stuck working insane hours at a miserable job. I want them to have a better life and more opportunities than me. We make too much to qualify for Pell Grants but the govt doesn't factor in cost of living differences. I make $1500 per week pre tax which would have me living good in West VA or Phoenix but here I struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
The funniest part of this thread is the fact that the entire time i was saying to myself "why do i get the feeling they live in New York"?
Thanks!

Quote:
Because I mentioned it, but why is that relevant? People are the same everywhere
No they are not. And I will prove it. Would you ever consider moving to WV or Phoenix, so that you could have a better quality of life?

Old 05-01-2015, 06:42 PM

756 posts, read 833,879 times
Question ?

Quote:
More I go over this thread the more I feel like a failure. I was a miserable child and I hated my parents who had serious drug issues and got divorced and remarried twice and I moved out into my brothers house with his wife ehen I was 14 before high school. I have tried very hard to give my children a decent life and make them like me and not want nothing to do with me like I felt about my father. I thought I could find a balance and be a good father with successful children and also have them actually LIKE me and enjoy spending time with me/see me as a buddy they want to talk to and hang out with. My oldest reminds me so much of myself when I look at him and I try to act towards him the way 13 year old me wanted my dad to act towards me. They turned out decent so far but j feel like its more in spite of me than because I am a good parent.

Quote:
my parents who had serious drug issues
And you married a woman with serious drug issues?

Old 05-01-2015, 10:42 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's the bigger question to me.. I'd think it'd be more awkward to ask a parent than getting the looks from a clerk at a store.

It could also be a test.. Perhaps he's just doing it to see your reaction to it and whether you were being honest with the "You can talk to me about anything"

But.. Overall.. I wouldn't push too terribly much. And if you want to have a sense of humor about it.. Bring him back a box of smaller sized condoms. http://www.amazon.com/dgp-DP0398-Ext.../dp/B003ZV1YV0
Don't get him small condoms, get a variety of sizes. It has to be the right size or the condom will not be effective. Which defeats the purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting