Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

Your post reminded me of a time we took a long trip via a couple of airplanes when my daughter was not quite 3. We had a long layover in Los Angeles and she was in her "frantic" mode, which usually happened right before a nap. She was happy, but all over the place, walking up and down rows of people and doing her best to stay out of my grasp. I was pretty frazzled at that point and I must have looked it. I told my husband that half of the people were looking at me like, "You need to whack that kid" and the other half were looking at me like, "You better not whack that kid." So, yeah, you can't win.

I'll add though, that after we got off of one plane two men praised us for her behavior. I had a bag of distractions that I got out one at a time and then put back in the bag to keep her busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:43 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I had a bag of distractions that I got out one at a time and then put back in the bag to keep her busy.
Oh yes the bag of distractions is an absolute MUST. Luckily my kids are old enough to carry their own distraction bag now. i used to feel like a pack mule when traveling.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 7,097 times
You just did the right thing. It's you who is responsible for the well being of your children not the other way around. Kudos!

Old 04-30-2015, 02:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
Me, being a smart ass, would have asked the people who were glaring at me on the way out if they would rather have me drop the kids off at their table to babysit so I could go back to my table.

That glare would have probably changed to a deer in the headlights look real quick !

Old 04-30-2015, 03:08 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
I would have done the exact same thing. I'm proud of the way we've raised our kids so far. This is what you have to do, which is exactly what you did.

And it would be a long cold day in hell before i take them out again, and they would know why that is.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
I think you likely interpreted those glares incorrectly. More likely they were glares like...why did she bring those whiney brats in here?

Yes, you definitely won. Mom 1 kids 0. I bet next time you take them out they will act differently.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:28 PM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Lightbulb Sure You Can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Yesterday we went to a busy resturant for dinner. Right away my 8 year old was whining in one ear. My 9 year old thought it was time to then throw a fit about our table (he really wanted to sit in a different place). I warned them both. The 9 year old hit the roof with crying and fussing. Now my kids are usually well mannered in restaurants. They know their restaurant manners!

After he wasn't going to calm down, I told hubby we were going. I had to drag my 9 year old out by the wrist with my 8 year old following crying saying I was mean. Let me say, I don't recall having to do this for years. I know part was he was very hungry. Still, I'm not putting up with it from a boy who insists he is a big boy.

So when we got up and I took him by the wrist I got actual nods of approval from a couple tables. But by the time we got to the front door, I got glares like I was being a bully.

If it wasn't for all the debate on here, I'd never have noticed. But I paid attention this time.

As a parent...you just can't win.
Restaurants.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I would have done the exact same thing. I'm proud of the way we've raised our kids so far. This is what you have to do, which is exactly what you did.

And it would be a long cold day in hell before i take them out again, and they would know why that is.
We actually ended up at a different restaurant not too long later. See, dragging out a punishment doesn't work. Both kids calmed down, genuinely apologized and asked to prove theirselves at a different place. We gave them that chance. And they were perfect little angels. We gave them a chance to redeem themselves, and they did. That's a learning experience.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:55 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,610 times
You did the right thing. Only you are parenting your kids day in and day out and have a complete understanding of their behavior and what is going to work for your family and help shape them for next time. One thing I have FINALLY learned (it has only taken me 10 years) is to pay absolutely NO regard to the glares and opinions of others who know absolutely nothing about your kids or your family or your day or your circumstances. So glad it worked out and they ended up being well behaved for your next dining experience! I will never forget the day I had to drag my middle child at age 4 out of Target when he misbehaved--he was kicking and screaming over a toy he wanted--I am petite and it was an actual physical struggle to carry him out of the store. This lady gave me the look of death, put her hand up in the STOP position as I was struggling my way through the parking lot back to the car and said to me, " Just take a DEEP breath and calm down mama". As if I was going to beat my kid or something. I was so irritated--I looked at her and told her to mind her own business--she had no clue what led up to that event and what I was working on with my child but she was sure quick to judge. He is almost 10 now and I am happy to say we have NEVER had another "Target" incident or anything similar. Taking him out of that store empty handed was a very good decision and that 15 minutes of not giving in and going through heck paid off in years of being able to go into a store and having no mean "no". He still remembers.... and I also remember not to judge other parents when their kids are throwing tantrums.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:53 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
NINE and ten years old? Sugar crash? You stated they didn't USUALLY act this way. That's way too old for whining and being fussy, unless they're well on the way to being borderline diabetic.
Or you can announce that their next restaurant visit will be when they turn 21 and it's their turn to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting