Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:06 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised at that age they are acting up that way, by then they should know better. I can see maybe a 2-6 year old being difficult, but not older kids.

Better get more control now because pretty soon they will be in their teens and you will have a real problem.

But you did the right thing by dragging them out, I would have too, and given them a little love tap on their behinds as well...........but that is just me.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 11:16 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
To those who think it's just not normal for an 8 and 9 year old to have meltdowns, especially when hungry haven't spent a lot of time with 8 and 9 year olds. It's rare, but it happens. Luckily is wasn't nearly as "colorful" as when they were toddlers. But it's not acceptable still.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
NINE and ten years old? Sugar crash? You stated they didn't USUALLY act this way. That's way too old for whining and being fussy, unless they're well on the way to being borderline diabetic.
Or you can announce that their next restaurant visit will be when they turn 21 and it's their turn to buy.
I have an 11 year old and 9 year old. They are still kids and still have their moments especially when tired and hungry.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I have an 11 year old and 9 year old. They are still kids and still have their moments especially when tired and hungry.
I know adults who have their moments when they get hungry lol

Old 05-01-2015, 01:35 PM

546 posts, read 1,818,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I know adults who have their moments when they get hungry lol
Ha ha, so true!!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Ha ha, so true!!
Omg and teenaged girls! The worst!

Old 05-01-2015, 04:08 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Vulcan death grip. All us fathers should learn it.
I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not. Either way, I personally think striking a child physically should be a last resort, but sometimes it's necessary. In my son's case, that happened only twice. By 10 years old, I only needed to glare at him. Broken leg or not, he knew I meant business and that I'd bust his azz. No way in hell is my 10 year old son going to embarrass his mother in a restaurant. Not while I'm there.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I'm not sure if you're being facetious or not. Either way, I personally think striking a child physically should be a last resort, but sometimes it's necessary. In my son's case, that happened only twice. By 10 years old, I only needed to glare at him. Broken leg or not, he knew I meant business and that I'd bust his azz. No way in hell is my 10 year old son going to embarrass his mother in a restaurant. Not while I'm there.
That just isn't the type of father my husband is. And I am ok with it. He works very hard, very long hours. I am on duty much more often. He just isn't the disciplinarian. He would have helped more of he could at the moment. But he supported me the best he could. And later when we were alone he complimented me on how I handled it. That's good enough.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Yesterday we went to a busy resturant for dinner. Right away my 8 year old was whining in one ear. My 9 year old thought it was time to then throw a fit about our table (he really wanted to sit in a different place). I warned them both. The 9 year old hit the roof with crying and fussing. Now my kids are usually well mannered in restaurants. They know their restaurant manners!

After he wasn't going to calm down, I told hubby we were going. I had to drag my 9 year old out by the wrist with my 8 year old following crying saying I was mean. Let me say, I don't recall having to do this for years. I know part was he was very hungry. Still, I'm not putting up with it from a boy who insists he is a big boy.

So when we got up and I took him by the wrist I got actual nods of approval from a couple tables. But by the time we got to the front door, I got glares like I was being a bully.

If it wasn't for all the debate on here, I'd never have noticed. But I paid attention this time.

As a parent...you just can't win.
I learned early about misbehaving when I was kid. At a restaurant I knew they would take turns sitting in car .I just didn't do anything ever again once I tested them. You do what you have to do for your child to learn and to heck with those that disapprove.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:18 PM

500 posts, read 748,403 times
This has happened to me. I'll usually say 'ok, stop, what's really wrong here? We can't stay here like this.' If the problem isn't solvable, then we leave but with an alternative in mind - going to a different place or going home. Not everyone is always happy but there is less upset because they have to stop and think about their behavior and try to solve the problem. I'm talking about older kids though, not toddlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting