Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Does hazel count as "green"? I started off brown (after the normal blue newborn period), then moved to hazel.

Hazel is Hazel and Green is Green.
There is not a "normal blue newborn period", as has been stated numerous times on this thread already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, it is fascinating. The article does say that two blue eyed parents having a brown eyed child is uncommon. But yeah, you don't really know what's in that gene pool till you have your own kids!
I keep thinking that there must be a few freaked out students in high school biology every year who come out of the genetics unit convinced that they must have been adopted because of this unusual occurrence. Poor kids!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:09 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
Quote:
If a parent has one brown-eye gene and one blue-eye gene, s/he will have brown eyes. Brown is dominant over blue. To have blue eyes, one must have two blue eye genes. In fact, brown is dominant over any other color.
I thought for sure I'd have brown eyed kids and that having light color eyed a long shot. Being half Japanese, I have black hair with brown eyes. My 3 girls (1/4 Japanese and pretty white otherwise) are all dark/dirty blonde with light color eyes. It's actually a head scratcher.

Now that I think of it, nobody (including cousins, second cousins, etc) in my husband's family has brown eyes.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:17 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Hazel eyes are a form of heterochromia (i.e., the combination of two colors in the iris), involving green and brown. We refer to my daughter's eyes as hazel, but they are actually a combination of amber and blue and centrally heterochromatic, which means the variation radiates from the pupil. They look green under most conditions, and the amber color probably results from pheomelanin rather than eumelanin, because she is a redhead. Where pigment resides in the layers of the iris can also affect how eye color reads to observers.
Like this? My youngest daughter is 5 months old and was born with dark blue/grey eyes, and now they are what you describe.

This looks pretty identical to her eye color. They appear green in certain lighting conditions.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:20 PM

That's very similar to how my daughter's eyes appear, too, and, yes, that's central heterochromia. Gorgeous!

Old 05-02-2015, 04:40 AM

797 posts, read 1,749,249 times
Quote:
If a parent has one brown-eye gene and one blue-eye gene, s/he will have brown eyes. Brown is dominant over blue. To have blue eyes, one must have two blue eye genes. In fact, brown is dominant over any other color.

Well it depends on the other gene each parent has. If the parent is heterozygous for blue and green, it can't be assumed that the blue would be passed on to the child. The green could be passed on. As explained in the link, if you do a punnet square and look at the statistics, it comes down to more than just being heterozygous for one color.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:47 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,827 times
I have an eye color question.

Every single person in my fiancée's family (mom, dad, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc.) has either steel blue or money green eyes. Most have darker hair with blonde and red streaks while the remaining family members have naturally blonde hair.

My family uniformly has dark eyes with only one relative (great-grandmother) having a different color, gray. What should I expect with our children? I'm expecting dark eyes, but not sure to what extent if we had....say 4 children.

This may or may not matter but I'm 87% west/central African according to DNA testing, 11% northern European with the remainder being some combo of south Asian and Native American. She's 99.8% European.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:55 AM

Brown. There is an infinitesimal chance you could have a light-eyed child due to your g-grandmother's light eyes, but it is vanishingly small. Another possibility for light eyes involves the dominant brown-eyed gene being turned off through a genetic quirk. The possibility for this is also very small, but it can happen, at least according to the article Newenglander linked in an above comment.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-02-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
A boss I formerly worked for had one blue and one green eye. Both were brilliant in color. He was a very handsome man, but his eyes made you go "WHAT?"

I now think it would be cool to be like him! I'd love that novelty.

When you have a baby, you get what you get. They are all pretty!
The link someone posted said that if you have one blue eye and one green eye, you have a genetic disease called Waardenburg syndrome. That can apparently cause other problems.

Waardenburg syndrome - Genetics Home Reference

Quote:
Waardenburg syndrome affects an estimated 1 in 40,000 people. It accounts for 2 to 5 percent of all cases of congenital hearing loss. Types I and II are the most common forms of Waardenburg syndrome, while types III and IV are rare.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:59 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Both my babies were born with gray eyes, but both turned brown later. My son's took the better part of a year to turn, but my daughter's were brown by the time she was a month old. You'll just have to watch and see what happens!

Most babies are born with grey or greyish blue eyes. I should say, most Caucasian babies. My son's eyes changed to light green - but it took two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting