Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm complaining about both. The old dress code allowed for common sense dressing for gym days and the rough and tumble of elementary school. It allowed for a modicum of choice on behalf of the child and parent. Yet it had enough rules where if offensive clothing was worn it could be taken care of. Yet the old dress code wasn't enforced so the district swung the pendulum the other way and now we have a strict dress code that hasn't fixed a thing.
Sounds like an issue with your district, not dress codes in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
God no.
Encouraging all kids to wear jeans and t-shirts is no different to encouraging them to wear polos and khakis.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
We live in our district. That's what I'm concerned about.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Encouraging all kids to wear jeans and t-shirts is no different to encouraging them to wear polos and khakis.
I'm sorry but where did I say all children should be encouraged to wear t-shirts and jeans?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
We live in our district. That's what I'm concerned about.
Then say that instead of going on a tirade about dress codes in general. Not all are bad. Not all are hard to follow. Not all result in wasted time.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have never heard of uniforms being suggested to reduce bullying, perhaps to prevent one upmanship. I wore uniforms and hated them. But now that I have teenagers I see how people don't supervise what their kids wear to school. Skimpy tops, booty shorts, sagging, flip flops at PE, baseball caps, etc. Do you think it should be a free for all?
EXACTLY! My younger daughter was in HS during a particularly s*l*u*t phase of dressing-extremely low cut jeans and skirts with cropped tops, etc. Her school, which was fairly new, started working on a dress code the year she was a senior.

Quote:
No, I think we should go back to common sense. Common sense states that wearing t-shirts and jeans are ok but wearing t-shirts with offensive language is not. We seem to have discarded/lost that ability over the past 15 years or so.
Kibbiekat already said this, but sometimes common sense isn't very common. What is "offensive" language? Who gets to decide?

Old 05-04-2015, 10:06 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
I went to Catholic Elementary school which had a dress code which was completely unsuited to the climate (think wool pants in 100+ temperatures). Over the years I attended, they changed it a little bit. Now, many years later, the dress code is logical, reasonably contemporary, affordable, practical, and a wonderful tool for avoiding the "what do I wear today" frustrations that particularly plague image conscious middle and high schoolers. I support dress codes that are grounded in reality and practicality.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I read the dress code. It is very, very similar to the uniform codes in FL schools. The only difference is that colors were limited to 3 with the uniform, and the shirts had the school emblem on them.

I honestly don't see what the issue is with denim or cargo pants (except they have fallen out of style). So basically you have a strict, easy to understand dress code, which is far less likely to cause confusion for parents and administrators. If kids still show up wearing jeans, that's on the parents, not the school.

If you don't like the rules, form a parent committee and work to change them.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:08 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Agreed. I think my son's dress code has worked quite well. And it's made my life much easier. I am very much in favor of it. But it is far less extreme and draconian.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:18 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
http://www.wbcitizensvoice.com/pdfs/wb_dress.pdf

This is our current dress code. Its such a pain in the ass. Especially considering the kids can't wear other clothes on gym days or during field trips. Also, its a pain in the butt when they are out for recess jumping, running, skinning knees and the dockers get ruined.
This is no different than my kids old school and many other school dress codes I have seen. What's so difficult? Solid color pants and shirts (colors provided), no sagging pants, not super short skirts, no shoes that are going to go flying off on the playground. Sounds pretty basic to me?

As far as kids ripping their pants and whatnot, that's going to happen sometimes. That's why you get more than one pair of pants/shorts - just like your kid would have more than one pair of jeans to wear if they got ripped, correct?

Honestly I found uniforms so much easier - no having to buy trendy clothes for every day wear, no worrying about how many times she wore this outfit and might get teased, and it cut way down on laundry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting