Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:34 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

I have children in an elementary school with a dress code. You know what? The super strict dress code does absolutely nothing to deter bullying. The kids still bully the other ones over the sameModerator cut: edit they did 5 years ago, before the dress code changed. It isn't helpful to parents who can't afford clothes because now the kids are going out to recess and gym and ripping their Dockers up and putting sweat stains in their polos.

School secretaries now have to keep a log book of every dress code violation. Kids are sitting in the office because they wore the wrong sized pants or wrong color shirt. Teachers get in trouble if they don't enforce the dress code in favor of allowing a child to stay in class and learn.

Its all a bunch of bullModerator cut: delete. Its a non-fix that placates the masses and goads them into thinking something was actually accomplished.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-05-2015 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: language filter. There is no way around it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 08:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Are you a parent or a school employee?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:45 PM

I'm a parent.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I have children in an elementary school with a dress code. You know what? The super strict dress code does absolutely nothing to deter bullying. The kids still bully the other ones over the same they did 5 years ago, before the dress code changed. It isn't helpful to parents who can't afford clothes because now the kids are going out to recess and gym and ripping their Dockers up and putting sweat stains in their polos.

School secretaries now have to keep a log book of every dress code violation. Kids are sitting in the office because they wore the wrong sized pants or wrong color shirt. Teachers get in trouble if they don't enforce the dress code in favor of allowing a child to stay in class and learn.

Its all a bunch of bul. Its a non-fix that placates the masses and goads them into thinking something was actually accomplished.
I have never heard of uniforms being suggested to reduce bullying, perhaps to prevent one upmanship. I wore uniforms and hated them. But now that I have teenagers I see how people don't supervise what their kids wear to school. Skimpy tops, booty shorts, sagging, flip flops at PE, baseball caps, etc. Do you think it should be a free for all?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-05-2015 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 08:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Then how do you know how many kids sit in the office and for how long? How do you know there isn't a benefit that the school personnel are seeing that you aren't privy to?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I have never heard of uniforms being suggested to reduce bullying, perhaps to prevent one upmanship. I wore uniforms and hated them. But now that I have teenagers I see how people don't supervise what their kids wear to school. Skimpy tops, booty shorts, sagging, flip flops at PE, baseball caps, etc. Do you think it should be a free for all?
No, I think we should go back to common sense. Common sense states that wearing t-shirts and jeans are ok but wearing t-shirts with offensive language is not. We seem to have discarded/lost that ability over the past 15 years or so.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, I think we should go back to common sense. Common sense states that wearing t-shirts and jeans are ok but wearing t-shirts with offensive language is not. We seem to have discarded/lost that ability over the past 15 years or so.
So you are saying dress code should be enforced?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Then how do you know how many kids sit in the office and for how long? How do you know there isn't a benefit that the school personnel are seeing that you aren't privy to?
I volunteer at my children's school quite a bit. I was there last week dropping my child off after a doctor's appointment. A little girl came in with jeans on and the secretary pulled out a log book to write down the little girl's "indiscretion." Waste of time for all involved.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So you are saying dress code should be enforced?
The one that made sense and that was around for the better part of four decades, yes. The one that none of the board or administrators wanted to enforce, yes. The one that actually would have solved a lot of the issues we saw, yes. This one? No.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:53 PM

http://www.wbcitizensvoice.com/pdfs/wb_dress.pdf

This is our current dress code. Its such a pain in the ass. Especially considering the kids can't wear other clothes on gym days or during field trips. Also, its a pain in the butt when they are out for recess jumping, running, skinning knees and the dockers get ruined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting