Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
I feel so guilty. My son talks so much non stop after about 20 mins with no break I fade out and don't really hear him anymore. I also feel sometimes he goes out his way to irritate me. Like I was sleeping and he rubbed his wet hand from god knows where on my face. Or poke me ect. It like he knows it drives me nuts. I don't get it he is only 5. He does none of those things to his father or anyone else. How can I stop this?
How about discipline?
Teach him it is not appropriate to do these things and there are consequences if he continues to do them.
Teach him that there are times to talk and times to sit quietly and play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 03:20 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Ok I am in Grad school so I have to study early in the morning or late at night when he is sleep because he wont give me peace. His dad bought him the skylanders video game for his 5th birthday so he talks about that or dinosaurs all day. I mean ALL DAY. I will have to find more from him to do. The minute he is home from school its like open season to bother me. He was off from school today for (w.e reason maybe a catholic holiday) while I am my desk he just sat behind me breathing on my neck. I really tried to ignore it and when I began to say something he would run away a come right back breath loudly on my neck again. I put him on time out but for not listening. What I don't get is why he bothers me and not my husband? He talks a lot with every;but, not trying to irritate him. He doesn't poke him, lick him, shake water on him when ever he uses the bathroom ect.
You know the saying - negative attention is better than no attention. I'm not saying you're not paying attention to him, but he's trying to get more. Make sure to take the time to engage with him, not simply trying to keep him busy (although that's a valid strategy also).

Old 05-07-2015, 03:57 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
My kid is 4 - of course she irritates me! Doesn't stop talking, doesn't stop asking questions but lately she's been spending almost all her free time with her friends and I'm already missing that irritating little brat!

Old 05-07-2015, 05:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
I feel so guilty. My son talks so much non stop after about 20 mins with no break I fade out and don't really hear him anymore. I also feel sometimes he goes out his way to irritate me. Like I was sleeping and he rubbed his wet hand from god knows where on my face. Or poke me ect. It like he knows it drives me nuts. I don't get it he is only 5. He does none of those things to his father or anyone else. How can I stop this?
5 year olds are annoying. Cute but annoying. The good news is that he will grow out of it. I have three older sons (21, 18, 16) and they were all annoying at 5. They are still annoying at times but not as often as they were when they were 5.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:32 AM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
Quote:
He's anxious.

They get scared at that age when their main "protector" is asleep. The result is to poke you, wake you up. They'd rather you be awake and mad than the feeling that they are unprotected.

Some kids are clingy, but you can google kind ways to stop clinging.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:19 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
It like he knows it drives me nuts. I don't get it he is only 5.
LOL Wait til he's a teenager.

Of course by then he won't talk to you, so you might want to enjoy the talking now.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
My three year old never annoys me.

My 9 month old is annoying when she cries.
But baby crying (take that back - any crying) is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Plus I can't really hold it against her bc how else can she communicate? Besides pointing.

So, so far, aside from the baby stage, no...my kids have failed to annoy me or make me want to get away from them, etc.

I await the teen years.
I don't like teens.
I didn't like most of them when I was one.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:10 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
My sons annoyed me and now my grandchildren annoy me... They are 5, 7 & 8 and I KNOW their main job is to see how much of my hair is left at the end of each day....

Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 AM

649 posts, read 570,591 times
My theory is that if you don't find your kids annoying at some point than your probably not spending enough time with them (or you have the patience of a saint.)

I actually find little kids more annoying than teenagers. At least with a teen you can get away from them easier.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:28 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Feel like?

We once paid our youngest daughter a nickel a mile to not talk when we were on a trip. She was 4 or 5. Twenty years later and she still won't just shut the **** up sometimes.
Ha-ha! I feel that way about my daughter too. After several minutes of nonstop blather, I tune her out (just as I did when she was younger) and nod my head from time to time and go "uh-huh" so she thinks I'm really listening. She's 22 and a graduate student and thinks she knows everything!

Last edited by Praline; 05-07-2015 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting