Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Just wondering, how old were your kids when you first let them mow the lawn?
I think my son was 11.
I think I was 10- but always needed somebody to start it for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Closed shoes, and safety goggles are a must, but 16 as a minimum age is silly. Many, if not most, kids are quite capable of operating a lawn mower well before that. Parents should oversee the first time or two, then let them go. Farm kids have been operating equipment for eons. Accidents happen, but training and acknowledging the maturity of your kids can alleviate the bulk of the risk.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:36 PM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Soon as he was old enough to push it. Good for 'em. Puts hair on their chest.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:03 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
I ran crews for large landscape company when I was much younger, I think we had 5 maintenance crews on the road and 2 development crews and about 20 drivers/machines on hire. and a number of FTEs at the base.

I started as a grass cutter and moved up to managing most of the workers/ dealing with clients.

Here is my viewpoint.

Lawn mowers remove the toes and fingers of children.

Those letting a 10-14 year old use a gasoline powered mower are doing so from ignorance.

I have seen plenty fingers and feet damaged. I have had people manage to set fire to both machine and man.

I have more enough stupid stories of grown men and woman getting themselves injured while using everyday machinery; and that was with safety equipment and training.

The safety gear that matters is steel capped boots, and steel capped boots along with steel capped boots. I cant tell you how many toes have been saved by steel capped boots.

Impact sun glasses are great in that they work, and people will actually wear them all the time.

If you think your 10 year old or 12 Year old is ready to mow the lawn with a gasoline powered mower, you are either poorly informed, stupid or have an exceptionally large and mature child.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post

If you think your 10 year old or 12 Year old is ready to mow the lawn with a gasoline powered mower, you are either poorly informed, stupid or have an exceptionally large and mature child.
I have no doubt that some 12 yr olds are more mature than some 20 yr olds who are cutting lawns for a living at that point.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:26 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
I was using a gas mower at the age of 9, I had a job on a farm when I was 14 and drove a tractor on a state highway.

My daughter tried to mow once when she was 14, but the mower I have was too heavy for her to push.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:38 PM

625 posts, read 624,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have no doubt that some 12 yr olds are more mature than some 20 yr olds who are cutting lawns for a living at that point.
True, however, I was being snarky. I don't believe children should be using power equipment due to possible injuries (fingers, toes, feet, eyes, etc. - as previous posts have outlined). That said, anyone operating that equipment (adults included) should be wearing appropriate protective gear. Whenever I see someone wearing flip flops or worse mowing bare-footed (and yes, I've really seen this), I just cringe!

Old 05-07-2015, 02:55 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,286 times
I started mowing around age 11 I think, only the backyard which was flat except for a slight slope at very back. Our front yard was on a steeper slope and my older brother typically did it. He basically graduated from the backyard to the front yard. It was self propelled mower. I was supervised the first few times but after that I was pretty much on my own, though sometimes I needed help getting it started.

Most if not all mowers now have safety features that make it pretty hard to get a foot under it. A handle that has to be held to engage the blade and sometimes the engine.

I don't think there is a magic number. Its going depend on mower type, the kid's strength and the yard itself. I don't expect to be in my current house when my sons reach mowing age, but I would definitely wait til they were 13 or 14. The backyard has pretty steep slope to it and the front has a mess of above ground tree roots.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:00 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I URGE YOU TO NOT LET THEM MOW until 16 at the earliest. ER doctors agree.

Don't gamble with your kid's feet. Amputation is forever. Kids pull back a running mower. They lack the coordination to do this. Or they turn the powered forward-movement mower and get toes, feet, amputated.

There are other jobs they could do, that don't carry that risk.
I grew up in the country where kids were routinely expected to help out with chores around the farm such as mowing, bush-hogging, and splitting wood. I have literally never met one single person who lost a toe, a finger, a foot, a hand, or any other body part to a lawn mower as a child. I have met a few adults who went to the stupid side and amputated something, but never a child. While I do feel that safety should be the first priority, people saying that children shouldn't do anything dangerous is a large part of why the millennial generation are getting a bad rap nowadays. It seems that sometime in the 90s young parents started listening to these morons spouting off about how children shouldn't do anything that is too difficult for them and should always be able to see themselves as winners - and now we have a generation who, for the most part, don't understand what "winning" is and don't want to do anything that requires effort.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:25 PM

424 posts, read 381,817 times
As so as they can walk they can push a $$$$$$$ mower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting