Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 10:28 AM

676 posts, read 725,329 times

Advertisements

While I know it may not seem ideal, a lot of kids are allowed by their parents to smoke or drink at their own discression around their parents before the legal age. I was just wondering if you let your kid do it, and at what age.

When I was 15 I was allowed to smoke cigarettes but I couldn't do anything else infront of my parents. I had friends that could smoke weed, cigarettes, drink at about 14. I had a couple buddies that I could buy weed off their parents at that age. My best friends parents would let us smoke cigarettes only in the house at around 14 years old. really out of all the kids I hung around in the neighborhood, my parents were the only ones to restrict us on everything except ccigarettes.

In my sons case he wont be allowed to smoke cigarettes untill he is 17 or 18 if he decides to and he can drink at 18 since he wiI be an adult by then. I'd feel more comfortable with him smoking weed than cigarettes honestly.

So what are the ages you chose it will choose for your kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I let my kids have a taste of alcohol when I'm cooking with it. One of the kids is a pretty good cook and it's hard to understand how something will change the flavor of a dish unless you know what it tastes like. I've told both kids they can drink at 18 as long as they don't go anywhere until they're sober.

Smoking...that's a different thing to me because it's so addictive, expensive and dangerous. I don't think it's possible to just smoke a little bit socially, like it's possible to have a drink now and then. My husband and I both smoked and it was difficult to quit and sometimes the craving is there even though it's been years. It would be much easier to never start than to have to beat an addiction.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:49 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Never. Cigarettes? Never and never, they certainly were never near my house when I was growing up.

I certainly wasn't drinking alcohol around my parents growing up either.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:12 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Our older kids got to drink beer or wine at holiday dinners at about 18/19. They were off in college so only home part of summer and on holidays. So we allowed it.

They don't smoke.

I could smoke around my mom when I was 12. She smoked. I quit as a young adult.

I don't think I drank in front of my mom, but she knew I did and didn't seem to care from an early age.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:13 AM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
There is no age that I would allow my children to smoke or drink in front of me or even behind my back.

I am not a prude but it isn't right for them.

When I was growing up I started smoking at 15 and it was best to be open about it and not try to hide it. My mom didn't like it but she had such huge fights with her mom about that so she didn't want to fight about whether I would sneak or hide. I wasn't allowed to drink at all but I frequently did without consent. I tried not to get caught, but I usually was, but that was after the party, not before. I was no angel but those were party days, and it was the culture of the times.

Drugs were not even discussed and alcohol wasn't openly permitted, but I was on my own very early with no parental supervision and I learned a few lessons the hard way, but I learned them early.

The culture that I grew up with was different. What was acceptable then is not acceptable now. I guess if it was an issue then I would be forced to accept it but the laws are stricter and there are criminal consequences for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. I wouldn't allow a minor to do anything illegal in my presence. I would do the 'don't ask, don't tell' but with safety measures intact. I don't see another option that would work.

Last edited by Veronicka; 09-21-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 11:39 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
I didn't let my parents even know I smoked until I was 25 (I started at 16) and my mother was a smoker herself.

My children don't smoke but if they did, they probably wouldn't have let me know and I probably would prefer that they didn't smoke in front of me until they were 18. I'm a smoker so I am glad they never took up the nasty habit.

I knew my kids would drink once in a while before they were legal age, but they never did it in front of me. Now, in their mid-20s, they do drink in front of me but I don't see it very often because neither one is a big drinker (I've drank with them at football games, weddings, etc.)

I don't believe either smoke weed (they are pretty open about that kind of stuff and I do know they have tried it). I don't think I would've let them smoke in front of me because it is just something me and my SO don't do.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:41 AM

22,559 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Never as children.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I will never give my kids permission to smoke. Drink... depends. I'll just go with 21.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:14 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Smoke- never.
Drink- well, when we were in Germany they drank at 18, 17, and 16...

Old 09-21-2016, 12:49 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Smoke...never for cigarettes. Depends on what becomes legal for marijuana - if it's legal maybe 18.
Drink...a glass of wine on a holiday with dinner, sure. But drinking in the way I think you mean probably 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting