Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age would you MAKE your child get a job?
15-17 74 50.34%
18-21 46 31.29%
22-25 19 12.93%
26+ 8 5.44%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 03:29 PM

284 posts, read 362,352 times

Advertisements

My 19 daughter attends a community college and is living at home until she enrolls in a state university next fall. She began working last summer at a retail store in our local mall and typically works 10 - 12 hours a week. When school let out for the summer, she picked up a 2nd job waitressing. Working has been a very positive thing for her in that she's gained significantly more poise and confidence in dealing with people, plus it gives her some extra spending money. The other day she paid me a pretty great compliment by saying that she's really glad I instilled a good work ethic in her. That made me a proud mom!

So yes, kids should work, especially when school demands aren't too great, for not only the money but also for the character building experience it provides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 05:14 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySonsDad View Post
"He refuses to pump into a rotten system that guarantees a horrible quality of life just to maintain some artificial standards of living for himself all while fattening other people's pockets."

Wow. So , basically the 90% of the population is doing it wrong? There is a reason why most of us work our buts off...,
I know, this would be impossible. :-)
Yes, there is a reason. It's called being a docile drone.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by field l0ver View Post
I guess my message here to the OP or any1 else is... if you have a child you shouldn't encourage them to be a pawn in competitive society...you should encourage them to step outside of that competitive culture, because it is not a measure of health to be well adjusted in a sick, unwell competitive society.
So did your parents encourage you to use them so you could sit around all day (until that all-important nap time comes)...... or did you decide all by yourself that you were going to use them (so you could avoid.... whatever you don't like) right up to the moment they drop dead?

Old 05-28-2015, 05:41 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So did your parents encourage you to use them so you could sit around all day (until that all-important nap time comes)...... or did you decide all by yourself that you were going to use them (so you could avoid.... whatever you don't like) right up to the moment they drop dead?
Good question.:-)
I think it's no 2 BC he said he doesn't like his family.

Ahh....the risks of parenthood....:-)

Old 05-28-2015, 09:15 PM

465 posts, read 613,721 times
I started babysitting at 12. Lifeguard at 15 during the summers. 17 I worked in the Movie Rental dept in a chain grocery store. During the summers in college I waited tables. I was not allowed to work during the school year unless it was babysitting. I will encourage my children to do the same during the summer. Its a great way to learn work ethic and for them to have their own money to spend how they want.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:08 PM

60 posts, read 142,915 times
I babysat in high school but I didnt have a real job until I came to college. I worked part time over the summers for the first three years. Now I work once in a while as an aide in the hospital. I earned a full scholarshop with a stipend for school so I don't have to work a lot, but if I had to, I would have no problem doing it. I haven't asked my parents for money since I've been at college. They voluntarily pay my phone bill some months or send me a gift card to have dinner at a restaurant but they choose to, I don't need or ask them to. I have two credit cards that I use to start building my credit and they're payed off in full every month because I don't buy anything I don't have the money for. I have good time management, good organization skills, and I'm dependable.
In high school. I lived in a small town and didn't have a car so I wouldn't have had a way to get to a job in high school even if I had one. I had chores though and I was expected to help care for my siblings. I was also expected to bring home straight A's and participate in band or a sport. I would expect the same from my kids and wouldn't expect them to work unless they weren't performing well in school or helping around the house.
Let kids enjoy the few years of life they don't have to work. There's plenty of work to do after graduation.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:57 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I got a job immediately at age 16 which was legal working age in my state. Worked up to 25 hours per week from 10th grade through most of college. I worked with multiple 14-15 y.o.s who used older siblings' birth certificates.

I never got an allowance, paid for my own education, car and insurance, etc. No one "made" me get a job but I wanted a car and needed escape from my abusive family. My then boyfriend's dad drove me until I got a car.

In fact, my mother would threaten to make me QUIT when she was upset with me. It never negatively impacted my A/B grades but I did need to quit drama club because I had no time. That was a bummer.

Most of my friends got jobs a bit later in teens and worked much less. (But they also had their education and transportation covered by parents.)

This was the late 90s and I worked with a lot of Portuguese immigrants with very strong blue collar work ethics. (I'm not an immigrant but I worked like one.) One girl's house burned down and she came to work the same day.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
what state do you live in? there is typically cash assistance in some states...and well you can get it without paying in...you just have to be deemed unemployable and apply for SSI. Now...in other EU countries, you could just get money without all that. But we live in a competitive society and you need some paperwork in order to get paper. But its stupid. There should be a general blanket of cash assistance regardless of how unemployable you are. Thats how Canada has it
Quote:
by aliens? my assumption was that they were funded by the wealthy folks of a distant galaxy...um thats what my parents told me. Did they lie to me? because if they lied to me then...then that is not okay
This train of thought will work nicely when you try and apply for SSI because of debilitating yet malingering schizophrenia.

I hope that you live in a low COL state because these benefits max out at about $800 a month.

Honestly, I know some guys like you who come from money. Mommy and daddy are fine helping them financially each month while the tax payers contribute as much as they can get.

Uncool brah. And shame on your parents for raising you with such entitlement. Not surprising though since your parents are entitled too if they help you get any "social security."

Old 05-29-2015, 07:17 AM

625 posts, read 624,134 times
I started babysitting when I was 12 or 13.

First "real job" when I was 15.

I think it's good for all kids. Most kids are spoiled now and have a sense of entitlement that's rather nauseating.

I worked all through high school and kept a high GPA (National Honor Society) and worked in college. Unlike lots of brats now who shriek at the idea of working and going to school too. Oh the horror! Sheesh!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
I would not tell my kids when to get a job but would leave it up to them when they're ready. What I would not do is to fund their laziness--when my younger dd drug her feet about getting a job I told her that's fine, I'll still pay for basic necessities, but don't expect to go to the movies on my dime, or buy those crazy jeans that you'll be ashamed of later. She also drug her feet about getting a driver's license and at 20 she still doesn't have it, so I told her I"d not be giving her rides. She did go out and get a job at 16 I think and ended up riding the bus to work every day and I was proud of her for that. She has gotten to be quite an expert on taking public transportation and that's fine. She's at college now and making straight A's and has a job, so I guess it's good that she's not driving b/c it gives her more time to study lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting