Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

My 18 year old daughter is very reluctant to get her drivers license,
We put her through driving school a few years ago she then went to do her driving test and failed,its been 2 years now and she has absolutely refused to redo the test,i suspect flunking the test has somehow shattered her confidence. Lately she is coming to realize the handicap she is putting herself under by not having a drivers license and its relationship to the job market,problem is she now insists she has to do the driving test over again which will cost me another $500 , on the one hand i feel like telling her we already spent substantial money on your previous efforts to get a license just go take the test again,on the other hand if she has no confidence in her driving abilities is it worth the extra dollars to at least get her a refresher course before taking the test again?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My 18 year old daughter is very reluctant to get her drivers license,
We put her through driving school a few years ago she then went to do her driving test and failed,its been 2 years now and she has absolutely refused to redo the test,i suspect flunking the test has somehow shattered her confidence. Lately she is coming to realize the handicap she is putting herself under by not having a drivers license and its relationship to the job market,problem is she now insists she has to do the driving test over again which will cost me another $500 , on the one hand i feel like telling her we already spent substantial money on your previous efforts to get a license just go take the test again,on the other hand if she has no confidence in her driving abilities is it worth the extra dollars to at least get her a refresher course before taking the test again?.
Where do you live that the driver's test is $500 YIKES!!!!!

If there are fees involved, SHE should pay them the second time around....

Old 05-27-2015, 08:39 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
$500 fee for driving test???

I agree, second time around she can pay for it. She's 18 now. Time to shift the burden of financial responsibility and consequences

Old 05-27-2015, 08:45 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
if you are able to help then help to get it, as you say 2 years ago she was 16,in that age quiet possible lost confidence after failing a test. Because in that age she goes to the test with over the moon high hopes. If I were you I encourage and give her moral support as a parent.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:54 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
Is the $ 500 for a refresher course at a driving school ? If she has a learner's permit, why don't you take her out for lessons. As licensed drivers, couldn't you and your spouse give her a refresher course ?

Old 05-27-2015, 10:03 AM

We live in Quebec and drivers courses are a mandatory requirement to getting your drivers license , actually the first full drivers school cost close to $1000,this refresher course will set me back around $500.Plenty of driving schools around town heres one that has a school close by, you can check the prices for the different options the federal and provincial sales taxes arent included in those prices so add another 15%=
Omega driving school : Programs & Services, Listing of our available driving lessons and programs
I told her pick the program you feel you need and i'll cover it.
This Dad is just too much of a big softy.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
We live in Quebec and drivers courses are a mandatory requirement to getting your drivers license , actually the first full drivers school cost close to $1000,this refresher course will set me back around $500.Plenty of driving schools around town heres one that has a school close by, you can check the prices for the different options the federal and provincial sales taxes arent included in those prices so add another 15%=
Omega driving school : Programs & Services, Listing of our available driving lessons and programs
I told her pick the program you feel you need and i'll cover it.
This Dad is just too much of a big softy.
Time to play hardball, Dad. This really will handicap her.

Tell her you aren't paying for university until she gets her license.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Time to play hardball, Dad. This really will handicap her.

Tell her you aren't paying for university until she gets her license.
University is already bought and paid for,She is about to finish her last year in geology,my thinking is a geologist will often need to drive to sites where theres probably no public transportation,i think its finally dawned on her she might need that drivers license after all..

Old 05-27-2015, 01:36 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
She is about to finish her last year in geology,my thinking is a geologist will often need to drive to sites where theres probably no public transportation,i think its finally dawned on her she might need that drivers license after all..
Finishing university at age 18... that's amazing!
Passing a driver's test should be a breeze for her.

Personally, I would have her pay at least half the cost.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
University is already bought and paid for....
Of course it is.

You'll have to cut off the funds at some point in order to motivate her, dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting