Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 03:18 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
T

I am seriously amazed at all the folks who think it's okay for an adult to throw a tantrum but that a toddler should act completely mature. How do people get it so backwards!
What folks would that be?

Oh, yeah... no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 03:27 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Toddlers can't control their outbursts. Grown men can.

Disney movies are geared towards children. This was not a dinner at a fancy restaurant, or an evening at the improv. This was a Disney movie matinee.

What the guy probably should have done was let the kid enjoy the entertainment that was meant for him, and go enjoy an adult movie. Or if he insisted on intruding into the kids movie, he should have controlled his own behavior, like an adult, and not made an outburst.

I am seriously amazed at all the folks who think it's okay for an adult to throw a tantrum but that a toddler should act completely mature. How do people get it so backwards!
You're right. Toddlers cannot control their outbursts but their parents can make decisions that are respectful of the other people in the theater.

Even if it's a Disney matinee, the man who spoke up might have paid $50 to sit there with his family and enjoy a movie. He had a right to enjoy it.

I never said an adult should be able to throw a tantrum. To the contrary, I said the man should have spoken to a theater employee who could have quietly and politely asked the woman to do something.

I am completely amazed that you think it's all right for a parent to allow her child to disturb a movie theater full of people.

When my daughter was a toddler, if we thought she was even remotely bothering someone in a public place, we left. My heart goes out to Vito and his mother, but they don't get a pass to disturb people because the little guy is sick.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:28 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Literally no one here has said that.
I'm sorry, perhaps you didn't get to read the thread? Many folks on this thread have said that. Here are some quotes:

"I can't say I blame the man."

"Sure he was... perfectly justified to expect to be able to watch a movie without obtrusive behavior. "

"Making this comment towards her disabled son is heart wrenching but not unexpected. If he was excessively loud, the other patrons do gave a point."

"I probably would have said something myself if I was trying to watch a Movie I paid a ticket price for."

"I'm on the dude's side on this one."

"I don't blame the man at all. I am sorry, but as a customer at a movie theater, I have a reasonable expectation of watching a movie in peace."

"If you can't, then people are totally in their right to pitch a fit--and yes, that includes yelling out "control your child already" or whatever, most definitely."

Old 05-29-2015, 03:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, perhaps you didn't get to read the thread? Many folks on this thread have said that. Here are some quotes:

"I can't say I blame the man."

"Sure he was... perfectly justified to expect to be able to watch a movie without obtrusive behavior. "

"Making this comment towards her disabled son is heart wrenching but not unexpected. If he was excessively loud, the other patrons do gave a point."

"I probably would have said something myself if I was trying to watch a Movie I paid a ticket price for."

"I'm on the dude's side on this one."

"I don't blame the man at all. I am sorry, but as a customer at a movie theater, I have a reasonable expectation of watching a movie in peace."

"If you can't, then people are totally in their right to pitch a fit--and yes, that includes yelling out "control your child already" or whatever, most definitely."
I did read the whole thread, unfortunately. Your posts are ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:34 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
He had no way of knowing that Vito had cancer. All he knew was that there was a child making noise who was disturbing him. It's possible that the sounds Vito makes are happy shrieks. But that's still annoying and distracting to a person trying to watch a movie.

What the guy probably should have done was gotten up and told a movie employee to address the woman quietly and politely, rather than yell in the theater.

Still, if that mother went home and cried until her pillow was soaked over a stranger telling her to make her kid be quiet in a movie theater, she needs to get a grip.
He didn't have to know Vito had cancer. Unless he was yelling at all the parents to remove all of the toddlers and babies, then he was discriminating against this particular child who sounded different. The reason he sounded different isn't the issue.

And as others have stated, this was a child's movie, and there were many other children in the theater. If he expected peace and quiet, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time to get it.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Let's be clear NO theatre entertainment is made for 20 month old children. It is a rare child under 4 or 5 that actually gets much out of a theatre movie.

This is not an 8 year old wanting to enjoy the same movie their 8 year old classmates are talking about, its a BABY. Disney movies recently are far more targeted at adults than BABIES
It's a toddler.

Maybe you don't have a toddler?

Go look in the toddler clothing section of your local Target or Walmart. Half of it is Disney (or similar) paraphernalia. Disney absolutely targets that age range.

Theater entertainment is made for those who pay and those who the theater agree to let in to see the movie. The theater establishment makes the rules, not you. They get to let in whoever they want. Including 20 month old children. If you don't like it, don't go. Or start your own movie theater that prohibits children under the age of 5. You are free to do so.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:35 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

And as others have stated, this was a child's movie
Tomorrowland's target audience is NOT a 20 month old. He should not have been there, period.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
He didn't have to know Vito had cancer. Unless he was yelling at all the parents to remove all of the toddlers and babies, then he was discriminating against this particular child who sounded different. The reason he sounded different isn't the issue.

And as others have stated, this was a child's movie, and there were many other children in the theater. If he expected peace and quiet, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time to get it.
You're right. He was discriminating against the LOUD child--the one who was bothering him. The mom knew he was talking to her, so she must have realized that her child was louder than the others. He had no reason to talk to the other parents because their children weren't bothering him.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
It's a toddler.

Maybe you don't have a toddler?

Go look in the toddler clothing section of your local Target or Walmart. Half of it is Disney (or similar) paraphernalia. Disney absolutely targets that age range.

Theater entertainment is made for those who pay and those who the theater agree to let in to see the movie. The theater establishment makes the rules, not you. They get to let in whoever they want. Including 20 month old children. If you don't like it, don't go. Or start your own movie theater that prohibits children under the age of 5. You are free to do so.
The babies aren't picking the clothes--their parents are. Just like the baby isn't at fault for squealing in the theater--his mother is at fault for taking him there.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
If the child was that ill, taking him to a real movie theater will a bunch of other children would be incredibly risky. But if I wanted to do that, I'd probably talk with the theater management and arrange something fitting the awesomeness of seeing a Disney movie on the big screen.

And, if it were my child, there would be a whole host of things I'd rather do in that short amount of time.
I would do the same as you. But I am not this mom to this child. Short of abuse, she gets to parent as she sees fit. It is none of my business. And I don't have the right to yell at her or her child for making noise in a children's movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting