Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:53 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,969 times

Advertisements

I also wouldn't waste my time picking battles on the internet though. The original point still stands, this child was too young to be in a theatre, was making noise, patrons objected and she made a huge deal on the internet.

I'm very sorry about her sons health condition and his passing, the fact is that while that may help explain her lack of judgment in bringing him, it doesn't change the fact that whatever we're going through in our own lives doesn't give us permission to disregard others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 03:07 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I am just happy that the child was able to enjoy as many wonderful and laugh-filled moments as he could, and I can only shake my head at those who STILL insist that the comfort and enjoyment of themselves and other is more important than that of a child who has only six more months to live.

(And, btw, I am not addressing the above comment to anyone who complains about an "obnoxious" child, without knowing that he or she has only a few more months of life left. It is addressed only to those who STILL insist that Vito's mother was wrong in denying her child any happiness he could have in his too short life.)

Old 12-08-2015, 03:41 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
I understand the mother's bringing her baby, and even understand her overly dramatic and emotional response to the man yelling. Still, that man had absolutely no way of knowing that giggling child would soon pass away. All he knew is he couldn't hear and enjoy the movie.

Anybody could have a tragic story. But they can't possibly expect people just to know and treat them accordingly. How does that mother not know the man wasn't treating HIS dying child to their last movie, and HER child kept them from enjoying it? How does she know he didn't just bury someone he loved and was trying to get his mind off it by watching a movie? How does she know his "yelling" didn't come from a place of pain and despair, like her response? How would she respond if she read HIS blog about the rude and inconsiderate mother who ruined his child's dying wish with her loud baby?

That's why these types of stories are annoying. They show one side of the story, an often overdramatic, self serving version of it. I feel bad for the mother and I'm very sorry her baby passed, but I think her anger and hurt over the yelling man in the movies was more a manifestation of her grief and agony over her child's condition, not so much the man being a "coward" or a jerk.

Last edited by AnnaNomus; 12-08-2015 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-08-2015, 03:55 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I understand the mother's bringing her baby, and even understand her overly dramatic and emotional response to the man yelling. Still, that man had absolutely know that giggling child would soon pass away. All he knew is he couldn't hear and enjoy the movie.

Anybody could have a tragic story. But they can't possibly expect people just to know and treat them accordingly. How does that mother not know the man wasn't treating HIS dying child to their last movie, and HER child kept them from enjoying it? How does she know he didn't just bury someone he loved and was trying to get his mind off it by watching a movie? How does she know his "yelling" didn't come from a place of pain and despair, like her response? How would she respond if she read HIS blog about the rude and inconsiderate mother who ruined his child's dying wish with her loud baby?

That's why these types of stories are annoying. They show one side of the story, an often overdramatic, self serving version of it. I feel bad for the mother and I'm very sorry her baby passed, but I think her anger and hurt over the yelling man in the movies was more a manifestation of her grief and agony over her child's condition, not so much the man being a "coward" or a jerk.
I agree with almost all the above, although I still think the guy was a jerk for yelling (if that is indeed what happened), so I suppose the only solution to having a movie-going experience that is 100% to one's liking is to wait for the movie to come out on DVD and enjoy it at home -- or if someone's idea of an ideal movie theater experience is absolute audience quiet, to go to an Alamo Drafthouse if there is one in the neighborhood! In fact, except for movies that are obviously geared to children, they don't even allow children under 18!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVz-...ZtXnSmpBQEDbWe

Anyway, maybe it would be to the benefit of everyone including ourselves to give people the benefit of the doubt in very trying circumstances.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-08-2015 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-08-2015, 04:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I agree with almost all the above, although I still think the guy was a jerk for yelling (if that is indeed what happened), so I suppose the only solution is to having a movie-going experience that is 100% to one's liking is to wait for the movie to come out on DVD and enjoy it at home -- or if someone's idea of an ideal movie theater experience is absolute quiet, to go to an Alamo Drafthouse if there is one in the neighborhood! In fact, except for movies that are obviously geared to children, they don't even allow children under 18!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVz-...ZtXnSmpBQEDbWe

Anyway, maybe it would be to the benefit of everyone including ourselves to give people the benefit of the doubt in very trying circumstances.

That would be great if everyone did that.

But people are human. They're going to get frustrated, be inconsiderate, or get fed up. I can't help but get annoyed when someone's kid is running wild or screaming, but I've never been moved to complain, or yell. I understand the man's aggravation, but I agree that he shouldn't have yelled. He should have taken his complaint to the manager and let them handle it.

However, as I said earlier in this thread, I have a feeling this mother would have been just as hurt and devastated over an employee telling her to quiet her child as she was about the man yelling. She was heartbroken over her child, understandably. She was ready to lash out for any reason, as evidenced by her long blog and her "crying into her pillow" for half the night over this. But I've seen blogs and media reports over dumber and lesser slights where some outraged parent was incensed over someone pointing out their little angel's behavior. I think a lot of people felt this was just another one of those kinds of stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting