Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 03:10 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,039,852 times

Advertisements

A 20-month old on a Saturday matinee, at a Disney movie, with two older siblings. Doesn't really seem like an unusual or outrageous situation. I see lots of little kids at those types of movies, and they're not sitting there quietly during most of it.

If you believe the mom's version, which is that she removed him when he was upset/crying but let him stay when he was laughing, and it was the different-sounding laughter that prompted the man's comment to her, then I'd say she was right to be angry.

It might be interesting to hear the story from the point of view of the man who called out to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 03:10 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
20 months then, still same issue. 36 months, minimum, for most kids to sit through an entire movie.

Of course this man wasn't right in his decision. I wouldn't of even supported him talking to the mom. Take your concerns to the theater. If they don't fix it. . .ask for your money back. There is never any excuse to yell at someone.
I agree with all of this, especially to take the complaints to the theater manager. A certain level of noise is to be expected at any movie geared towards children, and it may just be that this mother was trying to do something nice for a nine year old who had been dealing with the young sibling's illness. But the other paying patrons should be able to hear the movie.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:25 PM

687 posts, read 912,739 times
I worked at a theatre when I was in high school and was often an "usher". It's very difficult to explain to some mother that she and her child are being disruptive.

In this day and age people are more likely to lash out at some poor teenager working a crummy job than they are to just be respectful to others and follow both the written rules the establishment posts, as well as the unwritten rules of society.

Somewhere in this day and age respect got tossed out the window.

If you want to take kids to the movies, do it on weekday mornings (or early afternoons depending on when they open) and only see 'G' rated movies. Kids can be kids there all they want under those circumstances, and many theatres even offer discout tickets during those hours. Lots of daycares do field trips during summers this way.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:29 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,545,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
How far do you take this? If my son is autistic or has brain cancer, can I take him to the opera? Can I bring him into a courtroom?
Better yet, can I bring my service dog to a Benji film marathon? He's very well trained. Really.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:38 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
I am pretty tolerant about stores and places parents sometimes have to go with their kids. Movies, no. I am tolerant and understanding for the one or two minutes it takes to gather up their kid(s) and go. The parent should be able to talk to a manager and get tickets to come back alone another time.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:42 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,824,021 times
A 20 month old is too young to be at the movies. Cancer or not, mom dropped the ball on this one. Babies belong at home, not at the movies.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:42 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times
I get why the mom feels this way. Its hard being different. And its new to her. But he was too young. 4 is pretty much as early as we took them...something close to that. And we didn't make it through a whole movie for a while (my daughter would get scared and start crying). So we would wait 6 months and try again.

I think the person who shouted was an idiot though.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:48 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,338,815 times
I don't agree with these parents, who bring their babies and toddlers to such a setting, seemingly clueless to how much the noise their kid makes disrupts others. Movie theaters simply shouldn't allow them in. If you bring your kid in and the kid makes noise which disrupts others, you and your kid should be asked to leave....same for teenagers too.

Frankly, some adults need to stay home too.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:52 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,829,033 times
Disney matinee or not, disabled or not, I wouldn't take a kid under the age of 2 to the movies.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:58 PM

11,046 posts, read 9,684,120 times
She is not a first time mom, since she has a 9 year old. She was just not willing or able to get a sitter for her son. She knows kids this age are not able to do a movie and it's not appropriate to subject others to the noise. On the other hand, dude is at a Disney movie, what the heck did he expect? I haven't watched a Disney movie in the theatre for the last 25 years because little kids in the theatre are obnoxious even if the movie is for them. If I have the desire to see Disney (I don't) I would rent it. That's what this lady should have done, or hired a sitter for the little guy. Cancer has absolutely nothing to do with this situation, other than her trying to use it as a universal excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting