Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:13 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

there were saying this same thing 35 yrs ago when my kids were born and let me tell you like I told my mother in law about those so called peds drs who think the same thing ...Those drs are not here listening to those babies screaming their head off cause they are not getting enough out of the formula or breastmilk . I started cereal at 5.5 months and then veggies and then fruits and lastly meats and by the time my kids were 1 .5 yrs old they were eating toddler sized meals and most of my babies had almost a full set of teeth by the time they were 2 and I was also teaching them to brush their teeth another very important thing they need to learn while still little .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:00 AM

264 posts, read 229,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Really?? That seems kind of silly. We continue to do studies to evolve and improve parenting and childcare. Doctors and scientists aren't just making this stuff up as the go; it's based on research and results.

Yes, things change, but that's because we are learning. It used to be you put babies to sleep on their bellies, but we learned sleeping on their backs is best to prevent SIDS. We used to forward face babies in car seats, but have learned rear facing is much safer because of their weak spines and heavy heads. We used to provide solids earlier, but we have learned that breast milk or formula provides adequate nutrition and that giving solids too soon is damaging to the gut.

To put your baby at risk simply because the recommendations have evolved and are different than what you are used to is just...ridiculous.
I think someone is being a little too pretentious. Just because you follow one way doesn't make everyone else's way bad. I have a 10 and 11 year old and I started both on solids at 4 months (cereal) and kept adding from there. Both my kids are ridiculously healthy and you know what, I would do it all over again. And guess what else.....I let them both sleep on their stomachs! Oh, the horror!

Old 06-01-2015, 11:05 AM

Every month, there's a new "study" out telling us that the previous study was wrong and that we should change everything we do to fit the new standards....and 6 months later, we're back to the original study. It's ludicrous. Do what works for YOU. If I listened to every study and book and blah, blah, I'd be a helicopter parent who's kids won't leave the house until they're 40. My kids ate solids at 4 months, slept on their stomachs, sat in front facing seats after a year old and watched too much Teletubbies and Caiyou as babies. They are happy and healthy these days and I don't regret a thing!

Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotterfan77 View Post
I think someone is being a little too pretentious. Just because you follow one way doesn't make everyone else's way bad. I have a 10 and 11 year old and I started both on solids at 4 months (cereal) and kept adding from there. Both my kids are ridiculously healthy and you know what, I would do it all over again. And guess what else.....I let them both sleep on their stomachs! Oh, the horror!
No need to name call, firstly. Secondly following what is recommended at the time is the right thing to do, because that is what the most current research suggests. I doubt they will go back to prior to six months, because studies strongly support waiting until 6 months. If anything, they would probably push up more to 7 or 8 months.

"1. It's recommended by the World Health Organization, UNICEF, The American Academy of Family Physicians, National Health & Medical Research Council, and many prominent pediatricians. The lower range numbers, and many of the reasons along with it, have been outdated for quite awhile.

2. Waiting until the cells lining the baby's gut have closed helps prevent many allergies, gas, rashes, and medical issues."

Please actually read this short article in it's entirety before replying.

10 Reasons to Delay Solids Until at Least 6 Months | The Stir

There are many things that parents can choose and be flexible on, but ignoring very strong research and guidelines based on years of study which could possibly have negative effects on your children throughout their lives if ignored just so you can "decide for yourself," is pretty silly. But it's your kids, so go ahead.

My babies napped on their backs on occasion, but not at night. I'm sure we slept on our bellies as babies too.

I'll probably start another thread about why forward facing in car seats is extremely dangerous and wrong, wrong wrong!!

Quote:
Every month, there's a new "study" out telling us that the previous study was wrong and that we should change everything we do to fit the new standards....and 6 months later, we're back to the original study. It's ludicrous. Do what works for YOU. If I listened to every study and book and blah, blah, I'd be a helicopter parent who's kids won't leave the house until they're 40. My kids ate solids at 4 months, slept on their stomachs, sat in front facing seats after a year old and watched too much Teletubbies and Caiyou as babies. They are happy and healthy these days and I don't regret a thing!
I don't listen to every word my pediatrician says and I wouldn't advise anyone blindly follow their doctor either. I do a lot of my own research. I read a lot from various sources and combine that information with my doctor's guidance to make an INFORMED decision. Not a well "my mommy did it that way, so I'm going to also" decision.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:05 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Omg...not solids before 6mths old!

Really? This is what keeps you up at night? So many better fights to fight.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
No need to name call, firstly. Secondly following what is recommended at the time is the right thing to do, because that is what the most current research suggests. I doubt they will go back to prior to six months, because studies strongly support waiting until 6 months. If anything, they would probably push up more to 7 or 8 months.

"1. It's recommended by the World Health Organization, UNICEF, The American Academy of Family Physicians, National Health & Medical Research Council, and many prominent pediatricians. The lower range numbers, and many of the reasons along with it, have been outdated for quite awhile.

2. Waiting until the cells lining the baby's gut have closed helps prevent many allergies, gas, rashes, and medical issues."

Please actually read this short article in it's entirety before replying.

10 Reasons to Delay Solids Until at Least 6 Months | The Stir

There are many things that parents can choose and be flexible on, but ignoring very strong research and guidelines based on years of study which could possibly have negative effects on your children throughout their lives if ignored just so you can "decide for yourself," is pretty silly. But it's your kids, so go ahead.

My babies napped on their backs on occasion, but not at night. I'm sure we slept on our bellies as babies too.

I'll probably start another thread about why forward facing in car seats is extremely dangerous and wrong, wrong wrong!!

I don't listen to every word my pediatrician says and I wouldn't advise anyone blindly follow their doctor either. I do a lot of my own research. I read a lot from various sources and combine that information with my doctor's guidance to make an INFORMED decision. Not a well "my mommy did it that way, so I'm going to also" decision.
For the record, I wasn't name calling...just stating a frame of mind. You just sound like one of those helicopter parents I loathe. Personally, I think kids have more allergies, gas, rashes etc BECAUSE parents follow stupid studies and should just go with their gut more of the time. My kids are healthy and allergy free and have never had any issues. There's no more research in these latest studies...just the same research that some company is getting federal money to do but amazingly comes out with different results every year or so. Give me a break. You sound like a mom who can't think for herself and spends way too much time on mommy and me blogs.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Omg...not solids before 6mths old!

Really? This is what keeps you up at night? So many better fights to fight.
I'm not fighting with anyone. I just shared information backed by studies that strongly support waiting until 6+ months and people take it as an attack, because that is not what they did. It's not an attack or calling you a bad parent. It's SHARING INFORMATION. How are we supposed to learn if we don't open our minds and see what is out there?

Old 06-01-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
For the record, I wasn't name calling...just stating a frame of mind. You just sound like one of those helicopter parents I loathe. Personally, I think kids have more allergies, gas, rashes etc BECAUSE parents follow stupid studies and should just go with their gut more of the time. My kids are healthy and allergy free and have never had any issues. There's no more research in these latest studies...just the same research that some company is getting federal money to do but amazingly comes out with different results every year or so. Give me a break. You sound like a mom who can't think for herself and spends way too much time on mommy and me blogs.
Gee somebody is wound up. I am not a "helicopter" parent and thanks for loathing me over sharing some information. Give ME a freaking break .

Your "personal" feelings don't have much scientific data to back them up. These aren't MY personal feelings like people like you keep suggesting. This is researched information. I have already provided four links that back this up. Maybe read them? My kids have no rashes, allergies or intestinal problems from following current guidelines.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Gee somebody is wound up. I am not a "helicopter" parent and thanks for loathing me over sharing some information. Give ME a freaking break .

Your "personal" feelings don't have much scientific data to back them up. These aren't MY personal feelings like people like you keep suggesting. This is researched information. I have already provided four links that back this up. Maybe read them? My kids have no rashes, allergies or intestinal problems from following current guidelines.
Drives me nuts when people argue science.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:35 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
T
Quote:

My kids don't either and they spent their first year of life in an orphanage in Asia being fed puréed stew and caffeinated tea in a bottle. Both are honor students with zero health issues. Naturally I wouldn't have planned their infancy or anyone else's that way.

Is waiting until 6mths better for solids. Maybe it is. Maybe someone who doesn't talk to their doctor (but frequents parenting boards?) about these things is grateful to you for sharing your extensive knowledge. Does it really matter in the grand scheme of child raising? Are there better more important issues to be riled up about? Life is pretty sweet if we think this is a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting