Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I love all the people on here with their Holier Than Thou attitudes.. WOW!!! Just imagine if we held our highest offices and their people to the rules... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, she broke the dress code.. No, it really wasn't a big deal.. Yes, it was a stupid rule.... No, she isn't undeserving of the status... Yes, all the people on here who think it is a HUGE deal are screwy....
If we held everyone to the same rules? Might be nifty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 07:21 PM

424 posts, read 381,756 times
Wow, all you people on here and the school are *******s...... she worked that hard and was stripped because of some stupid dress code? This is just outrageous..... so for people that don't make it high school they are either thrown on the street on into a minimum wage job, while those successful no longer even get recognized for it?.......

Old 06-01-2015, 09:33 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
She didn't appear to be all that upset - spent most of the interview on her phone.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:53 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
Wow, all you people on here and the school are *******s...... she worked that hard and was stripped because of some stupid dress code? This is just outrageous..... so for people that don't make it high school they are either thrown on the street on into a minimum wage job, while those successful no longer even get recognized for it?.......
This.

Seemed to me like it was an honest mistake, and not anything she did deliberately.

A fair, and maybe a stern warning would have more than sufficed as far as I'm concerned.

Sometimes, they're just way too strict and out of line.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
She wouldn't wear her basketball uniform to graduation.
Dress for success for the occasion.
Graduation? What are you talking about? She's not graduating; she's a junior. Read much?

If shoulders are acceptable in part of the building, what's wrong with them in the other?

Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
School dress codes exist for anytime you are representing the school, participating in school functions, etc. And that dress code will sometimes be more strict sometimes less.

And here is the dress code if you care for facts

This is the dress code from where?

"The purpose of the Dress Code is to encourage students to focus on the learning process without the distractions of unsuitable dress and grooming. Students shall maintain a clean, orderly appearance at all times.
The responsibility for the personal appearance of the student rests with the parent/guardian and the student. Personal appearance shall not disrupt the educational process. A student who is dressed appropriately is demonstrating a respect for self and others, as well as contributing to a safe and orderly learning environment. The following establishes the minimum acceptable standards for student dress to be interpreted and enforced by the principal or designee. Each principal has the authority with his or her staff and community, as permitted by School Board policy, to establish additional standards at individual schools."

These are likely the relevant rules (note the principal can establish additional standards)

"1. Apparel shall be adequate in both length and coverage to be considered appropriate for school.

Why is this so vague? Who decides what is appropriate? It looks okay to me.

5. Clothing that exposes underwear or body parts in an indecent or vulgar manner is prohibited.

So now shoulders are "indecent or vulgar?" What is this 1915 or 2015?

6. Transparent or see-through tops, bare midriff, strapless, low-cut clothing, or tops and outfits that provide
minimum coverage or are of a suggestive nature are prohibited; halters, backless dresses or tops, tube tops, tank tops, muscle shirts, or any clothing which may be distracting are prohibited."

Who finds this distracting? Perhaps attention would be better directed towards them.

Now for the record, I am not a huge dress code enthusiast but the dress code isn't the point. She was trying to be the NHS president. She did not uphold the NHS four core values while at an NHS event. So NHS removed her from their membership.
She was not trying for NHS president. What are the four core values she failed to uphold?

Old 06-02-2015, 01:12 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Graduation? What are you talking about? She's not graduating; she's a junior. Read much?

If shoulders are acceptable in part of the building, what's wrong with them in the other?
No need to be so snarky.
I was using graduation as an example, not saying she was going to graduate.
I used to explain to my sons if is okay to dress down for a baseball game, not okay to dress the same way for a formal event. Dress for the occasion.

In this case it does not matter if they are acceptable in other parts of the building.
I am all for following rules (it makes life a lot simpler), and if you don't like the rules then do something about trying to change them. Maybe some rules are outdated and need to be changed. Growing up means you learn how to deal with what you think is unfair and decide if there is a way to change the rule.

I used to also have my sons write me a persuasive letter if they didn't agree with a rule at home. Every so often I find one, cracks me up. They were funny and excellent--helped teach them how to deal calmly with things they did not find fair. Often they were rewarded for their efforts and something was changed.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I think the dress code rules are pretty subjective. Now if they said "no sundresses ever," then i would probably side with the school. They don't so i side w the kid and her statement:

“Shoulders are a common sight in southwest Florida,” Boland told the New York Daily News. “She put it best by saying, ‘What everyone is showing me here is my shoulders are more valued than my brain.’”

All this focus on the female form is BS. I feel like the real message they are sending is "you can't be smart and sexy at the same time."

And yes, i did say "sexy" as opposed to "pretty" because that is what the school seems to be focusing on.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:32 AM

3,866 posts, read 3,143,889 times
With all these dress codes in schools nowadays the message is being bred and conditioned in students is that conformity, strict obedience and blind submission to authority is needed if you want to achieve success. Deviate and the system will come down on you like a sack of bricks. That way there will be an abundant supply of a compliant meek obedient populace to provide a workforce willing to accept whatever is dictated to them from up high regardless of how arbitrary or ridiculous the rules and policies are.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:40 AM

745 posts, read 801,151 times
So there's a rule about it... she knew and broke the rule willingly, so let her learn a life lesson and live with the consequences

Kids today so often have no consequences and I think it's refreshing to see them take a stand on this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting