Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,254,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post

Another friend from those days gave all her kids average names except the youngest. His name was spelled Jerome, but it was pronounced "Her-rome-ay."

Interesting that they would pronounce "Jerome" in a Spanish fashion, rather than naming the child Jeronimo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:40 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
And I would agree. If Prince were to complain, then you'd be free to call him out on it. Personally, I think the griping needs to stop on both sides--the bearers of the unusual names/spellings need to accept they'll be asked repeatedly, others around them need to accept that they'll have to take two minutes to learn something new.

Given that my name, "Shannon", is technically a man's name and I'm female....you can imagine the lack of sympathy you're gonna get from me on that score. (Now cue the inevitable number of people who will say, "What do you mean it's a man's name? The only Shannons I know are all women!")

Sorry, but I'm not with you on regulating names. I agree this leads to what I might find to be stupid choices, but I prefer to err on the side of giving people too much freedom on something this personal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That group probably believes Kelly is a female name, too.

Marriage can create some very interesting combinations for young women who choose to adopt a husband's surname.
I know both a male Shannon and a male Kelly!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:45 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My last name is easy, but very rare. I ALWAYS have to spell it. And people want to stick extra letters there to make like the ones they know.

And my husband's last name is Campbell... and people screw that up. My first name is Jean. You can't BELIEVE what people do to that.

So spelling out names isn't a good reason not to give them an unusual name.

Regarding the sameness of names.... I do genealogy, and one many greated grandmother named Anna had three sons who then married and named every daughter they had Anna something. add to that they were German, and followed the German custom of when they lost a child the next child of the same sex was named the same name.... so you can have 8 Anna Elizabeths....
The Dutch did the same thing. My grandmother's sister Maria died when she was six years old, and the next baby was a boy, so I had a great-uncle Marinus. Vincent Van Gogh grew up going out to the cemetery every Sunday with his parents to pray at the grave of his brother who died before he was born--so every week he got to stare at a headstone with the name Vincent Van Gogh engraved upon it. Maybe that contributed to his mental state.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Oh, this brings up the ethnic subject- a long time ago there was an Irish (or Irish-American) couple who gave all their kids Irish names, and one was Liam. Their daughter's name was unusual for that period of time, but has become more popular in recent years- I actually had to Google to find out how the name SIOBHAN is pronounced! Would anyone who's not familiar with that name know it's pronounced 'Sha-vaun'?

And when I was a young parent, I had neighbors who named their son Ian- but insisted on pronouncing it "Eye-an" instead of "EE-an." The little boy wasn't yet in kindergarten before they started wondering if they'd made a mistake, because nobody but their family and close friends knew it wasn't pronounced the usual way.

Another friend from those days gave all her kids average names except the youngest. His name was spelled Jerome, but it was pronounced "Her-rome-ay."

I think weird spellings or weird pronunciations give kids a strike against them from the beginning because they and/or their parents always have to explain it.
Parents like those of "EYE-an" and "Her-rome-ay" are very short-sighted. Choosing an unconventional spelling or pronunciation for a name that is nearly always spelled or pronounced a certain other way is doing nothing but setting their kids up for a lifetime of frustration, having to "correct" people about their name when they're the ones whose names were spelled or pronounced "wrong" in the first place. Right or wrong, but some people will even go so far as to dislike the folks with "unusual" names. Why would you want to set your own kid up for that kind of frustration, right from the get-go?

As for Siobhan, she will be doomed to a lifetime of "It's spelled S-I-O-B-H-A-N" and "It's pronounced 'Sha-vaun'," depending on whether she's spelling it for someone who has heard it pronounced or pronouncing it for someone who has seen it spelled.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
I actually did know the pronunciation of Siobhan, but only because I'm a fan of BBC television. Honestly, though, anyone named Siobhan in the U.S. is likely to have an Irish brogue, so she'd probably be asked to repeat herself no matter what. It's not exactly a common name here in the Americas.

I also knew an "Eye-an" growing up, so that one doesn't raise an eyebrow for me.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-08-2015 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Our neighbors' girls are Siobhan and Saoirse.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:22 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Interesting that they would pronounce "Jerome" in a Spanish fashion, rather than naming the child Jeronimo.
I thought it was unusual because they weren't Spanish/Hispanic.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:31 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Are the parents Irish?

Old 06-08-2015, 09:56 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My friend's daughter is Saoirse (I had to ask about the pronunciation). Her brother is Dylan.
Their grandparents live in Ireland. I see no problem with the names although I am sure that Saoirse will be having to spell and pronounce her name in the US. They visit Ireland for several weeks every summer to see the grandparents and no one there has a problem with her name.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Are the parents Irish?
I don't know, butt their surname isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting