Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 12:04 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
I think "older" more traditional names are starting to make a real comeback... And then there are timeless names you'll see in every generation (Michael, William, Emily, Elizabeth, etc).

Actually, all of those names have already made their come back. That happened in the 1980s with the release of "Beyond Jennifer and Jason".

They were branded "Nouveau Conservatif" names, in the first edition of the book.
Yes. You will see them in every generation. However, I think there are other more interesting options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:23 PM

19 posts, read 21,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That group probably believes Kelly is a female name, too.

Marriage can create some very interesting combinations for young women who choose to adopt a husband's surname.
There are a few men who are named Kelly like surfer Kelly Slater, for example. And there are a few women named Chris (usually short for Christine) such as tennis player Chris Evert but it's much more common for men (short for Christopher). And I also noticed that Kris used to be common for women (short for Kristina or Kristine) but today is much more common for men (short for Kristopher) nowadays. Thoughts?

Old 06-09-2015, 12:24 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Actually, all of those names have already made their come back. That happened in the 1980s with the release of "Beyond Jennifer and Jason".

They were branded "Nouveau Conservatif" names, in the first edition of the book.
Yes. You will see them in every generation. However, I think there are other more interesting options.
Indeed, the 80s is also when you started seeing names like Madison and McKenzie popping up for the first time. Though it really accelerated after 1993-94 or so.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
On another note, there was reference earlier to Jennifer, which made me think of another name besides that is sometimes nicknamed Jenny: Genevieve. I have an ancestor named Genevieve, probably pronounced the American way, since they were of British not French extraction.
The English name that was traditionally nicknamed Jenny or Jennie is JANE.

Quote:
I think Marlyn is ripe for a comeback. It has all the right feminine cues.
It's still too soon for Marilyn. It's true that it reached a peak in the 1930s, but it was quite popular into the early 1960s, which means there are plenty of Marilyns out there who are still in their 50s. Young people aren't usually attracted by the names of their parents and grandparents. They bring back the names that were popular so long ago that they never actually knew anyone with them. Hence Hazel, Mabel, Olive...all most frequently used around 1900.

The world is not ready yet for a recurrence of 1950's-60's names like Sharon, Barbara, Donna, and Carol.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Yet "Caroline" never really left.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:49 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yet "Caroline" never really left.
Caroline has never been trendy. I don't think it's ever cracked the top 100 in the US since records have been kept (1880). It's the trendy top-10 and top-20 names that crash and burn.

My own name is one of the more consistently moderately-used female names. It's always been in the top 1000, but never higher than about #120.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:53 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
I have an old family name of Kunigunda (Kuni for short.) My great great Grandmother, I think. I keep telling my GF if we have kids and one is a daughter that I want to continue the family name, but needless to say, she is resistant.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:54 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
One of my great-grandmothers was named Edith. I always thought of it as a permanently old-lady name, but now that I think about it, I bet there are some little Ediths running around.

Another great-grandmother was Verna. I can't picture that on a little girl yet.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:15 PM

371 posts, read 494,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man
Aw, come on, don't keep us in suspense; tell us what that name is!

This is how I feel about the name Dylan. For some reason, it seems like whenever I hear that name, it's in the context of something bad. (As an extreme example, one of the Columbine killers bore that name.) So to me, it's always been a "troublemaker" name.

Wow, LLN. Out of all the names out there bus man just happened to pick the one you were talking about? Well, o.k. then.
It was trouble name long before Columbine. See: Dylan McKay from "Beverly Hills 90210."

And, honestly, as someone who grew up around Dylan's, every one I've ever met was a jerk. Brandon's always tend to be terrible people too.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:17 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
I could not actually bring myself to name a child after a fish. Marlon as in Brando? Yeah, I could do that. No Merlins. My daughter and her friends are obsessed with the television show!

On another note, there was reference earlier to Jennifer, which made me think of another name besides that is sometimes nicknamed Jenny: Genevieve. I have an ancestor named Genevieve, probably pronounced the American way, since they were of British not French extraction.
I had a friend named Genevieve. That family had some odd names, one boy was named Elgan, another Cai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting