Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 01:20 PM

186 posts, read 158,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I have an immense dislike for trendeigh, ukneeque baby names. Misspelled, as a poor attempt to be creative, is just sad.

I changed my given name because it's a total trendy early 80's name that does not pass the Supreme Court Justice test. It isn't the type of name that grows with a person. Just not my style once I made it into early adulthood. Family still uses my given nickname, which is fine, but socially and professionally, nope.

I gave my kids awesome, classic names. I adore their names: Grace, Evangeline, Duncan, Henry, and Ruby.
Grace is pretty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:29 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
It was trouble name long before Columbine. See: Dylan McKay from "Beverly Hills 90210."

And, honestly, as someone who grew up around Dylan's, every one I've ever met was a jerk. Brandon's always tend to be terrible people too.
I totally agree about Brandon (and of course, about Dylan). And yet, change just two letters and make it Brendan, and now I'm picturing someone who's friendly and basically harmless. Go figure.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
There was a little girl at my school named after her mother, Ursula. I always thought it was the ugliest name I ever heard, and can't think of any "U" names I do like.

One of the biggest differences I have noticed over the years is that kids don't use nicknames anymore. Thomas, Michael, Catherine, etc, are no longer Tommy, Mike and Cathy.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:54 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
There was a little girl at my school named after her mother, Ursula. I always thought it was the ugliest name I ever heard, and can't think of any "U" names I do like.

One of the biggest differences I have noticed over the years is that kids don't use nicknames anymore. Thomas, Michael, Catherine, etc, are no longer Tommy, Mike and Cathy.
Yes because Ursula Andres certainly lives up to that.....

You right about the use of diminutives has decreased. If people want to want to name their child Cathy for example they name her Cathy.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:58 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,713,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I had a friend named Genevieve. That family had some odd names, one boy was named Elgan, another Cai.
I think Cai and Elgan might be Welsh names.....

Old 06-09-2015, 05:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The English name that was traditionally nicknamed Jenny or Jennie is JANE.
Well then my English ancestors were weird, because the girls named Genevieve were often referred to as Jenny. When I looked it up just a bit ago, I learned that the names Jennifer and Guinevere are related. I had no idea. I learn something new every day.

My daughter's name is a modern American interpretation of a Celtic name. It rose in popularity briefly in the '90s, but never broke the top 200. We always thought she'd be the only one in her class, but we know three girls with the same name here in Colorado. My oldest son and youngest son have extremely popular and classic names. Strangely, the youngest has never been in a class with a boy who has the same name despite it being in the top ten for many years.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:49 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Well then my English ancestors were weird, because the girls named Genevieve were often referred to as Jenny.
No, not weird, but Jane > Jenny is a factoid that most people don't know, as they assume that Jenny comes only from Jennifer. And then they find it strange that "Jennie" was so popular in the 19th c. when Jennifer was virtually unknown.

Incidentally, my grandmother had a friend named Genevieve, born around 1910, who went by Gennie.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Yes because Ursula Andres certainly lives up to that.....

You right about the use of diminutives has decreased. If people want to want to name their child Cathy for example they name her Cathy.
I never said the girl was ugly, I said the name was, IMO. Ursula Andress is Swiss. It may be a very common name there, but it certainly isn't here.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:10 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Ok, I didn't make it through all 24 pages, but in case no one linked this already:

How to Name a Baby | Wait But Why

Baby Names Popularity - NameVoyager: Baby Name Wizard Graph of Most Popular Baby Names | Baby Name Wizard

Best article and best baby name sites I've seen on the topic.

Husband's name was the 4th most popular boy's name in the 70s. Mine doesn't even make the top 1000 list. I'm not even on the chart. I love having a unique name. Having to spell it out is far outweighed by not have 4 Chris's (Christopher, Christina, Christine, Cristy, Cristian, etc) in every single class or at work for my entire life.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My daughter's name is a modern American interpretation of a Celtic name. It rose in popularity briefly in the '90s, but never broke the top 200. We always thought she'd be the only one in her class, but we know three girls with the same name here in Colorado. My oldest son and youngest son have extremely popular and classic names. Strangely, the youngest has never been in a class with a boy who has the same name despite it being in the top ten for many years.
My name was in the top 15 for the year I was born, yet I've never met another person in my age group with my name. I actually only know two other people with my name, one is about 15 years older then me and the other is 30 years older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting