Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 01:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Linda was popular in the mid-1950s. My sister had 3 Lindas in her kindergarten class. We had a friend named Donna as well. Lisa was very popular in the early 1960s.

Here are the top 5 names in the past 100 years.

Top 5 Names in Each of the Last 100 Years
Yep, I think Madison is the new Linda. Here for a generation and then gone again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Zappa's daughter is Moon Unit, and his son is Dweezel.
People made a HUGE deal out of those names and said the kids would be held up for ridicule and become victims of bullying. Doom was predicted. Between the names and having Frank for a dad people said they'd never be "normal". I know someone who is very close to the Zappa family. He says they're all very normal, well-adjusted, nice and have a strong work-ethic. Just like their parents. (Frank was, apparently, very grounded.)

Old 06-04-2015, 01:57 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I think every generation comes up with names that make older generations cringe.

I'm 46, so people my age are already becoming grandparents. It's intriguing to me to hear teens and young adults talking about names. For instance, Olive. No one in my generation would have even given this name one second thought, but I have heard of several baby Olives recently. And then there's Matilda. I have to fight the urge to say "MATILDA, really?!" Hazel, yes, lots of them, and Cora, Nora, and Violet. For boys, Oscar, Jasper, Oliver, Henry. I'm trying to get with the program but all these names still scream "old" to me.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyRhodesDiva View Post

Fast forward to the 1970s to 1990s, baby names have changed dramatically as conformity shifted to uniqueness. For boys, it was Michael (Mike), Christopher/Kristopher (Chris/Kris), Joshua (Josh), Brandon, John, Adam, Jordan, Andrew, Jason, and Patrick (Pat)
None of those names are unique. Most are even biblical names.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think every generation comes up with names that make older generations cringe.

I'm 46, so people my age are already becoming grandparents. It's intriguing to me to hear teens and young adults talking about names. For instance, Olive. No one in my generation would have even given this name one second thought, but I have heard of several baby Olives recently. And then there's Matilda. I have to fight the urge to say "MATILDA, really?!" Hazel, yes, lots of them, and Cora, Nora, and Violet. For boys, Oscar, Jasper, Oliver, Henry. I'm trying to get with the program but all these names still scream "old" to me.
I confess, I like Hazel. Maybe as a middle name.

Olive will always be Olive Oyl. Olivia, I like.

Matilda could be Tillie or Mattie. Maybe someone's grandma was a Matilda? It's not bad. Better than Clothilde or Hortense or Delores.

I like all the others, particularly Violet (we had an Aunt Vi) and Henry (considered that one for our son).

Old 06-04-2015, 02:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Did you make that up, or is it a different language?
No, I didn't make it up. It's the original Dutch spelling of Brooklyn, New York. BTW, my first name is Dutch, although most people would not recognize it as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
A lot of that increased diversity is just alternate spellings, though. I think if you combined all the forms of Catherine/Katie together they would probably exceed the number of Jessicas and Ashleys in the 1980s/1990s, for example.
Bingo!

Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:

That might come from the Roald Dahl book and then film, which was huge for my generation and I bet before as well.

Oliver was my best friend's name. I love it as a name for a boy and if I wasn't already settled on Aslak for a boy I'd probably go for Oliver.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
Nothing wrong with unique...... our 2 year old is named Jovie... we figured it was unique enough and something that would not get her ridiculed/teased as she grew up.. lol.. because lets face it, that stuff happens no matter what generation you grew up in!

Old 06-04-2015, 02:19 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I like to read obituaries to see the names over generations. A woman dying in her 90's might be named Mabel or Ruth. Her daughter born in the 50's or 60's will be Linda or Karen. Her granddaughter born in the 80's or 90's will be Jennifer or maybe Caitlyn. Her newborn great-granddaughter will be Emma, or maybe....Mabel.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:

Yep. I'm 53 and on one in my generation would have dreamed of naming their kids those names. But I do like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting