Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times

Advertisements

I think public schools vary in excellence.

My child attends a very good public school, and compared to the private schools her friends go to a great value. If she had to go to a subpar school, I would either home school her or send her to private. A few of the children at her school are failing, but it's due to a variety of reasons. (They don't speak English well, learning disabilities, not staying at a campus longer than a couple of months, poverty, etc...)

I've compared the homework and how she does on standardized tests like the Stanford, and it's similar to the private schools. However, she is very smart and I will always supplement her instruction. Most of her friends get outside tutoring whether they are in private or public schools. The curriculum is just so advanced.

Public schools struggle to educate children that have issues. Private schools would too, except they don't have to accept them.

Last edited by Meyerland; 06-04-2015 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
That chart is not talking about academic achievement, advancements or test scores. It is just illustrating how many years a student is expected to go to school and how many years the average student actually attends.

Try these:

U.S. Students Slide In Global Ranking On Math, Reading, Science : The Two-Way : NPR

American Students Fall in International Academic Tests, Chinese Lead the Pack - US News

Dang it-that isn't the chart I thought it was. And I don't have time to look for the right chart. This will also point out things are improving: How do U.S. Students Compare with their Peers around the World? | ED.gov Blog

Old 06-04-2015, 05:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
VanHalen5150 imagines:
"If you want to raise socially inept kids, home school them.

The more you try to insulate the kids from the real world, the more incompatible with life they will be. A lot of private schools are like this too. Not at all like the real world and kids have a hard time adjusting"

Adjusting to what? I know a family that has been home schooled for three genera tons. They are all brilliant from Grandpa to the younger toddler. The two year old knows everybody in town, the kind of car they drive and the color of their car; not just red or blue, but tan, silver and orange. I know a four year old that read the list of about 20 iced cream flavors. He hesitated at pistachio, but he sounded it out to the amazement of the crowd at the shop.

Many public schools crush creativity Our public school students graduate from 8th Grade here and go on to an international private school with campuses in rural Maine, Red China, Korea and the Philippines. Some of our kids will go to Red China this summer for classes.

Our home schooled kids take physics and biology at the academy for the labs. They play in the band or play sports if they want, but they learn real history, geography and writing at home. One group made a river delta. They actually made a river delta about the size of a baseball field. They have guest teachers who have been all over the world and done amazing things. These kids know they can go out and do amazing things, but we hope they come back.

I am a member of our school board in my second three year term. I am very familiar with our public school system, home schooling and magnet schools. "Hard time adjusting, indeed!" Give parents some credit. They want the best for their kids. Common Core crushes children's spirits and creativity. I just made it to the bottom of the first page. Now I'll go and read the rest.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 06-04-2015 at 06:18 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 05:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
^ "Red China"?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:22 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
They will not go to Formosa, Macao or Hong Kong. They will go to Red China. You may not have heard of it if you went to public schools. It s a country where some words are being lost from their language. Those words are uncle, aunt, niece nephew and cousin. Think about that.

My son goes to Guangdao in Red China on business. It is west of Shanghai. He goes there on a train that travels at 270 MPH and does not touch the ground. It rides on a magnetic field. We don't have anything like that and if we cannot get rid of Common Core we never will.

-break-

My daughter-in-law just got back from a service trip with a group of high school girls to Tanzania. They brought hundreds of pounds of medical supplies. The local "hospital" did not have a blood pressure cuff. Now they are raising money so the village can have a well for clean water and children will not have to go for water where there are crocodiles. OK, I have read thus far and still say, "Hard time adjusting, indeed!".

Old 06-04-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ "Red China"?
It's a dated perjorative leftover from the Cold War. It means communist China. The Chinese do consider that a derogatory term. Mainland China is the preferred term.

I took a couple of classes on the entire history of China and I never heard that term once. (I went to a very good public school and probably heard that term in the early eighties.)

Home schooling is a great option for some children, but so is public and private schooling. It depends on the child.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:41 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ "Red China"?
I know, right????

They also won't go to Formosa because it's known as Taiwan now.

He's on the school board???

Old 06-04-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I know, right????

They also won't go to Formosa because it's known as Taiwan now.

He's on the school board???
I think that poster must be older and went to school in the forties. "Formosa"hasn't been used much since WWII.

It actually was named Formosa by the Portuguese. The Han didn't colonize it until the seventeenth century. It was originally populated with non Chinese and then was a Dutch colony for a bit.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Catholic or Montessori school.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Has the OP been back? Somehow I think she just wanted to start a public school and/or home school bashing thread and watch from afar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting