Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:17 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Fascinating article, and a really great ideal! In the US we have approximately twice the infant Mortality rate that Finland does....Just imagine if we gave this a try!

Finland is really good at keeping babies alive. Here's one reason why.
I can imagine many low income people here snubbing their noses at the idea of a box for a baby ("they think poor babies belong in boxes!!!").

This is actually not very different from what poor people in America did in the olden days: USE A DRESSER DRAWER AS A BABY BED. It's a built-in box that you can push in during the daytime. You have to be careful the baby's not in it, when you push it in.

Small countries can do things that big countries, or America, can't. We have too many poor people having too many babies to fund something like that. There are more life critical needs first....like food and a place to live.

Churches and charities often provide gifts to poor babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 11:18 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is US infant mortality caused by lack of a baby bed and infant clothing? No? Then this type of box would have no bearing on the mortality rate.

The US has free clinics, SNAP, Medicaid, WIC and all types of services for low income pregnant women.
Its the pre-natal care requirement that has the biggest effect on infant mortality, although the box itself certainly played a big part in the early days when Finland was a very poor country and people lived in cramped conditions - not so safe for a baby then. The lowering of infant mortality was also thanks to this guy Arvo Ylppö - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as he realised that those deaths could be prevented with pre-natal care as many of the causes were treatable.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:25 PM

509 posts, read 554,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
OMG! What a great idea!

Just the box alone would save the lives of a dozen or more babies each year in my city. Deaths from co-sleeping are shockingly common in my community. Many of the times it is because the baby does not have their own space to sleep.
You're kidding right? Deaths from co-sleeping are shockingly rare actually. In fact more kids die in cribs than co-sleeping. Hence the term "crib death" now changed to SIDS.

Regardless babies in the US die from being born premature and parents that do drugs and smoke.
The purpose of the Finnish Baby Box is not a bunch of random freebies and a box/bed, but to get women to have prenatal care so their child doesn't die from their drug use.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:42 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
You're kidding right? Deaths from co-sleeping are shockingly rare actually. In fact more kids die in cribs than co-sleeping. Hence the term "crib death" now changed to SIDS.

Regardless babies in the US die from being born premature and parents that do drugs and smoke.
The purpose of the Finnish Baby Box is not a bunch of random freebies and a box/bed, but to get women to have prenatal care so their child doesn't die from their drug use.
Yeah, all those evil poor people don't want a box and they are druggies. Honestly.

I do see the point of prenatal care though, you are are correct about that.

Last edited by FlowerPower00; 06-08-2015 at 05:11 AM..

Old 06-08-2015, 05:31 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The main cause of infant mortality in the US is prematurity. As Natsku said, the purpose of the box is to get moms to get prenatal care, which can prevent prematurity (in some cases, of course).
Gone too soon What’s behind the high U.S. infant mortality rate - 2013 FALL - Stanford Medicine Magazine - Stanford University School of Medicine
I have heard that many countries don't count premature infant deaths in their overall infant mortality rates. Is there any truth to that? If so it could account for at least some of the disparity between our rate and those of other developed nations. I also suspect that as many of these nations continue to increase their third world immigrant populations those numbers will tighten up a bit as well.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:38 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I have heard that many countries don't count premature infant deaths in their overall infant mortality rates. Is there any truth to that? If so it could account for at least some of the disparity between our rate and those of other developed nations. I also suspect that as many of these nations continue to increase their third world immigrant populations those numbers will tighten up a bit as well.
Finland uses the same definition as the US - all live births (meaning they exhibit any sign of life), no dependence on weight, gestation age etc. Actually only a few European countries define it differently than the US and those that do will have their peri-natal death rate rise accordingly.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Finland doesn't differentiate between parental income. Are you willing to pay more taxes to make this idea a reality?
I'd be willing to pay more taxes for the following:

Single payer health insurance
Free postsecondary education
Maternal/Paternal Family leave
Better infrastructure
Hiring more teachers and doctors

Oh and baby boxes

Old 06-08-2015, 05:43 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I need to spread some reputation around... Look at the prison industry this country support...people don't mind paying taxes for THAT...

You said it!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post

Thank you. I just did a little more checking and, although co-sleeping infant deaths make big headlines they are just the tip of the iceberg. Apparently my city has the highest infant mortality rate in the entire country. Several zip codes have death rates of 16 to 19 infants per every 1,000 infants born alive. And, as you stated, the main causes are lack of prenatal care combined with smoking, drug use and other factors.

One of the studies that I just read said that "60% of the deaths were due to babies born prematurely ".

Old 06-08-2015, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Its the pre-natal care requirement that has the biggest effect on infant mortality, although the box itself certainly played a big part in the early days when Finland was a very poor country and people lived in cramped conditions - not so safe for a baby then. The lowering of infant mortality was also thanks to this guy Arvo Ylppö - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as he realised that those deaths could be prevented with pre-natal care as many of the causes were treatable.
Can't rep you quite yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
As Natsku said, Finland uses the same definition as the US. Japan and some countries in Europe use different definitions, which of course affect the stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting