Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:40 PM

14,816 posts, read 8,145,319 times

Advertisements

Fascinating article, and a really great ideal! In the US we have approximately twice the infant Mortality rate that Finland does....Just imagine if we gave this a try!

Finland is really good at keeping babies alive. Here's one reason why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 01:04 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,262,508 times
Probably the key factor is that the requirement to get the baby box is to attend a pre-natal appointment before a certain time (4 or 5 I think, not sure) which ensures the mothers get pre-natal care which is probably what lowers the infant mortality rate (although the original idea was to stop parents co-sleeping, back when the living conditions were very poor and there would be many people in the same bed so rather dangerous to co-sleep)

This was the baby box I got

She slept in the box bed for 6 months

Old 06-07-2015, 01:08 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,989,898 times
I think it's a lovely idea, for a baby shower gift. There is a reason Finland is in the top 10 as far as personal income tax goes.
I got what seemed like a huge amount of freebies when my kids were born, do manufacturers not compete for newborn dollars anymore?

Opposing view from the link in the OP:
Why Americans Will Never Get the Finnish Baby Box - Blog Tips & Advice | mom.me

Old 06-07-2015, 02:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,203,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Fascinating article, and a really great ideal! In the US we have approximately twice the infant Mortality rate that Finland does....Just imagine if we gave this a try!

Finland is really good at keeping babies alive. Here's one reason why.
OMG! What a great idea!

Just the box alone would save the lives of a dozen or more babies each year in my city. Deaths from co-sleeping are shockingly common in my community. Many of the times it is because the baby does not have their own space to sleep.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:52 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,717,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think it's a lovely idea, for a baby shower gift. There is a reason Finland is in the top 10 as far as personal income tax goes.
I got what seemed like a huge amount of freebies when my kids were born, do manufacturers not compete for newborn dollars anymore?

Opposing view from the link in the OP:
Why Americans Will Never Get the Finnish Baby Box - Blog Tips & Advice | mom.me
Yeah...we can't have people that need it getting something for free....and the snobs would never let their snow flake wear common clothing.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Yeah...we can't have people that need it getting something for free....and the snobs would never let their snow flake wear common clothing.
Finland doesn't differentiate between parental income. Are you willing to pay more taxes to make this idea a reality?

Old 06-07-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Finland doesn't differentiate between parental income. Are you willing to pay more taxes to make this idea a reality?
Yes...I am more than willing to pay a fair share of taxes for human benifits like this. Let everyone from the 1%ers and corporations on down pay their share.

And yes, I know everyone in Finland gets the same box no matter their income..and most parents....no matter their income use it.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Finland's tax rate is almost 52% once the family income hits $88,000. Good luck getting the populous behind that in the US.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Finland's tax rate is almost 52% once the family income hits $88,000. Good luck getting the populous behind that in the US.
And what the return is is much more than a baby box....but yeah...why would we want anything like good schools and colleges, low crime, healthcare, maintained infrastructure...naw...horrible things all of them.

No country is perfect....but I'll pay my fair share to get closer to it and not have corporations get political kickbacks and then have departments that help employees apply for welfare instead of paying a living wage.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
And what the return is is much more than a baby box....but yeah...why would we want anything like good schools and colleges, low crime, healthcare, maintained infrastructure...naw...horrible things all of them.

No country is perfect....but I'll pay my fair share to get closer to it and not have corporations get political kickbacks and then have departments that help employees apply for welfare instead of paying a living wage.
We do have good schools and colleges. Much of the US also has low crime. If you want to jump on a cause to lower that even still, I would suggest gun control.

Like the rest of Scandinavia, Finland is unable to support their generous social benefits. There are no utopias. Somebody has to pay for the freebies.

https://finnisheconomyoverrated.word...nomy-problems/

A box full of baby items is a lovely gesture. It is not the answer to all that ails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting