Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:44 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Why is having 3 selfish?
I said more than 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Why does a family have a right to have 1 or 2, regardless of their ability to afford them, but not 5 or 6? The fact is, at least in the US, you have the right to have as many as you want.

No matter the number, I don't see it as selfish. Frankly, calling it such is just RUDE. In fact, again speaking for the US, my six may prove the salvation of yours or others social security. If you haven't seen the math, the percentage of those contributing to SS vs those taking it has been dropping. You (or others) may be glad I stepped up to the plate.

cd :O)
I know four families with 4 or more kids who have claimed bankruptcy or are ass over teakettle in debt. ..and are a complete drain on our system. But hey little Johnny needs a new pair cleats..hmm , pay the oil bill or cleats? Well Johnny cant go without cleats!

I will edit my response to this...more than 2 kids is selfish if you cant afford it EASILY. That okay?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:50 PM

634 posts, read 708,663 times
I think as long as one has the mental, emotional and financial resources, an ideal family can be quite large. I do think there is a limit that might seem inappropriate but I don't know what that number is.

I have 3. For me, the ideal was 4 but my husband and I decided that once I reached 40 we should stop for the various obvious reasons. I have always wanted to adopt and we are still (well, he is) deciding if it is right for us.

I grew up in a family of 7 kids and it did seem too large at times. We were immigrants so the cliche of the older kids watching the younger ones was true for us. I would never recommend this route. As a parent, I make it a point to make sure that I do my job as a parent and not put this burden on my oldest.

I think once a person has to "customize" necessities that it might be too large, i.e., custom car, table, etc.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I said more than 3
Sorry, I misread. But why is 4 selfish if one can afford it?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Why does a family have a right to have 1 or 2, regardless of their ability to afford them, but not 5 or 6? The fact is, at least in the US, you have the right to have as many as you want.

No matter the number, I don't see it as selfish. Frankly, calling it such is just RUDE. In fact, again speaking for the US, my six may prove the salvation of yours or others social security. If you haven't seen the math, the percentage of those contributing to SS vs those taking it has been dropping. You (or others) may be glad I stepped up to the plate.

cd :O)

Haha, I always say that about social security when people seem to question why I had more than 2.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:05 PM

73 posts, read 58,225 times
Quote:
Why is having 3 selfish?
Read about cowbirds, unless you are very wealthy...

Old 06-12-2015, 01:32 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
In todays world more than 3 is just plain SELFISH. I don't care how much money you have.
So you're basing this on 2 kids = replacement rate. In that case, I don't see why it's selfish to have 3 kids, when you're helping make up for all the people who have one or none.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So you're basing this on 2 kids = replacement rate. In that case, I don't see why it's selfish to have 3 kids, when you're helping make up for all the people who have one or none.
3 isn't selfish as I said..but you have TO BE ABLE TO TRULY AFFORD IT.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Or...is it that the people who have 1 or 0 are rebalancing for those having 5 or 6?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
I have 3. For me, the ideal was 4 but my husband and I decided that once I reached 40 we should stop for the various obvious reasons. I have always wanted to adopt and we are still (well, he is) deciding if it is right for us.
Tell your husband to hurry up and make up his mind. Many places (internationally at least) will not adopt to people 45 and older. Given that it can take a couple of years to go through the process, if you haven't started by age 42 or so, it may be too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting