Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Stop? Some parents never start.
No kidding. It's really irritating when people expect special attention just because they were born once. I appreciate parents who never let that crap get started in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 12:58 PM

436 posts, read 420,678 times
I don't imagine them ever stopping, really. Our birthdays are simple family things. A nice meal, either at home or in a restaurant, and then cake and sparkling juice, and some presents. It's just our immediate family. We do the same for adults as well as kids. I don't see a reason to stop at any particular age.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
No kidding. It's really irritating when people expect special attention just because they were born once. I appreciate parents who never let that crap get started in the first place.
How is what someone else's family does about their child's birthday "really irritating"? Certainly, if you are invited, you are free to decline. You are also free to not celebrate your own birthday or your family's birthdays. Most people enjoy a celebration of some description because we find it a joyous event.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:46 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
We had our son's fourth grade party in the backyard, but some children went inside the house to use the bathroom. I'm an artist, but it didn't occur to me anyone would pay attention to some of the art displayed here and there. There were 3 figure studies. Very demure. A bare back from the waist up with the face turned to the viewer... such as that. No frontal nudity at all. When one mother drove up to fetch her daughter, the child ran across the yard yelling, "Mama, Mama, they have naked pictures in their house!"

Clearly, a den of iniquity! LOL LOL LOL

Old 06-13-2015, 02:44 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Uh, excluding 1st birthday, we don't do birthday parties.

We do something small with family. I plan an outing that includes lunch or dinner, salon/nail shop, movie theater, and shopping.

My kids' birthdays fall around Thanksgiving and Christmas, so peers are often on vacation or busy for parties and/or broke from Christmas shopping. With their birthdays close to winter holidays we keep it low key.
I wouldve had tears of joy to get a birthday like that growing up

Old 06-13-2015, 04:31 PM

34,987 posts, read 16,956,874 times
In the Jewish religion the children get Bar Mitzvahed at 13. That makes 12 the natural "cutoff" for birthday parties.

I did have one (erstwhile) close friend give himself a festive 18th birthday party. And someone cooked up a 21st birthday party for me at Cornell.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:45 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My kids' birthdays are approaching (they'll be turning 9 and 7) and we'll be giving them parties at our house. We've given them some kind of party every year, and our friends with kids in that same age range do the same.

I think back to my childhood and remember having parties during the elementary school years, but then at some point they just stopped. I can't recall how old I was when that happened, and I have no recollection of how I felt about it, or even if I cared at all.

So now I'm wondering, at what point do the birthday parties fade away?

Well they are 19 and 21. I didn't stop - they started to want to spend birthdays with friends at the movies, mall and dinner. I think at around 12 or so.

Now when we are lucky enough to have them around, we usually take them out to dinner.

I never stopped - it just kind of happened.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:57 PM

3,238 posts, read 3,536,910 times
There is rampant birthday party escalation in my neck of the woods (not like you see on crazy TV shows - "My Super Sweet 16" or whatever). With the child density in the area, early elementary school (with multiple children) was a rota of visits to the same 5 bounce house places, trampoline places, gymnastics places, etc. It got to the point that my kids had already been to 3 parties at the same place that season, they didnt want to go back for their own party so a new idea had to be thought up.

As elementary school turned to middle school, parties my children attended (not their own) turned into overnight trips to places like Great Wolf Lodge, local hotel suite, Myrtle Beach or 5 hrs away in DC for the weekend to watch MLB games. Very fun for my children to go to, nerve wracking at times for my wife and I and crazy excessive. [I certainly never had that opportunity growing up and havent provided anything to that scale for my children]

Old 06-14-2015, 06:36 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,173 times
I think mine morphed around ten. But in those days a party was games and food at home. I wonder if they ever really stop now that they can be taking friends to laser tag or trampoline place.

I can't understand having a first birthday party when the child's oblivious, but not having one when they're eight and fully understand what they're missing out on.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:18 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,620,722 times
My first and last birthday party was when I was 7. To this day I think my mother lied about inviting anyone, she said she invited 'all the kids on the block', but nobody came or mentioned it. Didn't want one after that.

My kids had birthday parties at random years, whenever they really wanted one. The last was in the mid teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting