Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times

Advertisements

My kids' birthdays are approaching (they'll be turning 9 and 7) and we'll be giving them parties at our house. We've given them some kind of party every year, and our friends with kids in that same age range do the same.

I think back to my childhood and remember having parties during the elementary school years, but then at some point they just stopped. I can't recall how old I was when that happened, and I have no recollection of how I felt about it, or even if I cared at all.

So now I'm wondering, at what point do the birthday parties fade away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 09:09 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
We went through high school.

We HAD to stop then, as they were in college for their birthdays!

Old 06-12-2015, 09:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
The "parties" evolved over time until they became sleepovers or a movie with a few friends, then eventually dinner out with the family when they were home from college.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:18 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My kids' birthdays are approaching (they'll be turning 9 and 7) and we'll be giving them parties at our house. We've given them some kind of party every year, and our friends with kids in that same age range do the same.

I think back to my childhood and remember having parties during the elementary school years, but then at some point they just stopped. I can't recall how old I was when that happened, and I have no recollection of how I felt about it, or even if I cared at all.

Never. They've changed over the years of course....but I see no reason to stop celebrating her birthday.

She's a college sophomore this past year and could get home for her birthday......I still made some arrangements with her friends to celebrate it with her....I sent a box of presents and silly party stuff and I ordered the pizza to be delivered (love online ordering....I put in the comments to write Happy Birthday on the box - they did and gave them a free dessert pizza.....!)

Go by what your kids want.....there isn't a rule for this.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:20 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,819,005 times
My kid's parties were always family only and he preferred it that way. After the age of 10 or so he didn't even want that. I made his favorite meal and a cake for the next few years.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
By the age of 10 or so, my kids were less interested in having a party, and preferred to do something fun with just their best buddies along to celebrate.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
By the age of 10 or so, my kids were less interested in having a party, and preferred to do something fun with just their best buddies along to celebrate.
Isn't that the same as having a party? You are still celebrating the birthday with friends.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Isn't that the same as having a party? You are still celebrating the birthday with friends.
You can call it whatever you like. There was no cake, no hats, no games, no gift bags. There were tickets to baseball games, movies, or similar activities. I consider that an outing with friends, not a party.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You can call it whatever you like. There was no cake, no hats, no games, no gift bags. There were tickets to baseball games, movies, or similar activities. I consider that an outing with friends, not a party.
And the fact this was being done to celebrate a birthday was never ever mentioned?

Birthday parties change over the years....and they dont always involve silly hats. If you are celebrating with family and friends the fact you've got a new number as an age......than its a birthday party. An outing is what you do the rest of the year.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:20 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Depends on the kid, I guess. As they get older, and you ask them what they'd like to do, it changes. Had the traditional parties through elementary, then my child changed to wanting a few friends over...then she wanted a dinner out with us and a couple of friends. The last "party" (and it really wasn't) I recall was 7th grade, bowling and pizza with close friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting