Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Since I was the one who suggested a second run theater, I'll address the question of being "being disrespectful to poor people." I have attended movies at these theaters with my kid for many years now, so I'm the audience I'm talking about. And it has nothing to do with being disrespectful, it was a suggestion based on experience that people in these showings are more relaxed about audience noise. These are movies that are already available on pay per view so someone who wants a pristine viewing experience isn't going to be going to these run down theaters with cheap seats and cheap popcorn, and the people who do go to the theater understand the experience they are getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:07 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Since I was the one who suggested a second run theater, I'll address the question of being "being disrespectful to poor people." I have attended movies at these theaters with my kid for many years now, so I'm the audience I'm talking about. And it has nothing to do with being disrespectful, it was a suggestion based on experience that people in these showings are more relaxed about audience noise. These are movies that are already available on pay per view so someone who wants a pristine viewing experience isn't going to be going to these run down theaters with cheap seats and cheap popcorn, and the people who do go to the theater understand the experience they are getting.
You're only reiterating that poor people shouldn't care about the experience since they can't afford the "pristine viewing"

Just because you deign to watch a lower-cost movie doesn't mean that a family isn't there after saving up for a week to take their kids to what would be to them a pristine viewing experience.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:09 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
OP, you have said that you, yourself, are eager to see Inside Out. But how does your son feel about it? Is he excited? Indifferent? Not really that in to it? If he really wants to see it, he can possibly be persuaded to keep quiet, under penalty of being removed from the theater if he won't keep his mouth shut. But if he doesn't want to be there in the first place . . . well then, he'll quickly figure out what he has to do to get out of it.

I do think that there needs to be a reasonable balance between keeping your son quiet, and some patience on the part of the other patrons who are, after all, watching a kid's movie. Honestly, to expect a theater full of young 'uns to sit perfectly still for a full-length kid's movie simply isn't realistic. It's like, when I went to see Frozen with my kids, I knew that there would be some talking and some comments made to the screen from the audience at large; and indeed there were. Didn't bother me a bit. I do believe in behaving appropriately for the venue, and I would have been annoyed if this had happened during a prime-time showing of a more mature movie. But at a matinee of a kid's movie? Comes with the territory.

And really, it seems to me that some of the posters here could stand to be a little more tolerant. Years ago, I remember watching Independence Day (not really a kid's movie) in the theater, not for my first time. It was at an off-time, and the movie had already been playing for several months; so the theater was sparsely occupied. There was a man there with three kids, two of whom looked to be maybe 9 or 10 and the third one maybe 5 or so. I surmised that the man had purposely waited to let the movie nearly run its course so he could treat his older boys to the show without risking inconveniencing a lot of other people. I could tell that the older boys loved it, but the younger one was bored. But hey, the man did what he could (in my estimation) to minimize his family's impact on the public at large, so I was tolerant when the younger one expressed his boredom, a couple of times. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:56 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
I would take him.

I would be prepared to leave, if necessary.

Before the movie, check it out on IMDB.com, especially the parent guide and see if there is anything about he movie you might want to explain to him ahead of time.

Go to a less crowded showing and get there early enough for him to be in the theater while the lights are up, before even the previews. Point out where they project the movie from and what the exit lights are and let him get all his questions about the theater experience itself out of his system. Explain that he must try to keep quiet during the movie and try to save his questions for later. If he doesn't, and if he really stands out from all the other kids there, you have to leave. It just didn't work out. The worst thing that will happen is that you will be out the price of the ticket. Try again next year.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:13 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
And really, it seems to me that some of the posters here could stand to be a little more tolerant.
Most posters said that a little bit of talking here and there and normal reactions to the movie (laughing or a "wow" or "what?!") is perfectly fine and to be expected when going to see a kids movies. But the OP isn't talking about just a little bit of talking. in the first post, it was said that when her son saw Sesame street live he didn't even stop to take a breath between questions and shouted to be heard over the music. No one wants to go to the movies and listen to someone's child shouting random thoughts through the entire movie, even if it is a children's matinee movie.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
There are LOTS of inquisitive kids out there. Here's what you say: "No talking during the movie." LOTS of inquisitive kids understand that they need to stop asking questions while inside a movie theater. And they are able to do that.

If he can't contain himself and just keeps popping out questions.... he's not ready to see a movie in a theater.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:40 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
And really, it seems to me that some of the posters here could stand to be a little more tolerant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Most posters said that a little bit of talking here and there and normal reactions to the movie (laughing or a "wow" or "what?!") is perfectly fine and to be expected when going to see a kids movies. But the OP isn't talking about just a little bit of talking. in the first post, it was said that when her son saw Sesame street live he didn't even stop to take a breath between questions and shouted to be heard over the music. No one wants to go to the movies and listen to someone's child shouting random thoughts through the entire movie, even if it is a children's matinee movie.
I agree with Sundaydrive. I'm pretty tolerant at movies but the OP said that it was just a few months ago that he had non-stop questions and yelled above the music at a different "very exciting, new activity."

It is still puzzling that, according to the OP, he can sit quietly during story time, at school and at movies at home, but can not in other situations (such as Sesame Street Live).

Maybe, he would be OK, if Mom brings him early and allows him to ask questions before the movie and reminds him that other questions need to wait until after the movie. Or even take him into the hallway a few times to ask questions out there so that he does not disrupt the other families. Of course, if he is too noisy, Mom must be prepared to take him home and try again in six months or so.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

It is still puzzling that, according to the OP, he can sit quietly during story time, at school and at movies at home, but can not in other situations (such as Sesame Street Live).
Because there the teachers make him be quiet or there are consequences. At home, he's seen the movie a bazillion times already.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:53 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Sorry, but some of these comments really tick me off. Before I continue, I am in my early 60's, and my days of taking little kids to a movie are long over, so I think I have more of an objective view of the subject.

First, I don't think children under 18 months old (or maybe even 2 1/2) should go to a movie theater, and if a child of any age starts crying or throwing any kind of tantrum, I think the parent should take him or her out if the child doesn't stop it within a minute or two. However, if I go to a kids movie, I expect KIDS. Kids who are sometimes noisy, who sometimes get excited, and who sometimes misbehave. Yes, kids SHOULD be taught manners and consideration, but this is a MOVIE. This is not an opera in which ticket prices start at $50.00 per seat or any other kind of live theater or a Bergman film festival filled with serious movie buffs. And I think that if an adult wants to watch a movie primarily aimed at kids, then they should stick to late night showings if they don't want to be disturbed by little kids' noise. (I do think these people would have a right to be angry, btw, if they go to a 10:00 p.m. showing, and there are little kids in the theater instead of being home in bed, though.)

I just wish all those my-good-time-is-more-important-than-your-good-time and my-kids-know-how-to-behave people would just realize that "little kid movies" are made for little kids at least as much as they are made for adults who want a pristine movie theater experience.

Okay, rant off.

P.S. I personally think it is wonderful that the OP's son is so inquisitive and full of life.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-17-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 01:05 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Sorry, but some of these comments really tick me off. Before I continue, I am in my early 60's, and my days of taking little kids to a movie are long over, so I think I have more of an objective view of the subject.

First, I don't think children under 18 months old (or maybe even 2 1/2) should go to a movie theater, and if a child of any age starts crying or throwing any kind of tantrum, I think the parent should take him or her out if the child doesn't stop it within a minute or two. However, if I go to a kids movie, I expect KIDS. Kids who are sometimes noisy, who sometimes get excited, and who sometimes misbehave. Yes, kids SHOULD be taught manners and consideration, but this is a MOVIE. This is not an opera in which ticket prices start at $50.00 per seat or any other kind of live theater or a Bergman film festival filled with serious movie buffs. And I think that if an adult wants to watch a movie primarily aimed at kids, then they should stick to late night showings if they don't want to be disturbed by little kids' noise.

I just wish all those my-good-time-is-more-important-than-your-good-time and my-kids-know-how-to-behave people would just realize that "little kid movies" are made for little kids at least as much as they are made for adults who want a pristine movie theater experience.

Okay, rant off.

P.S. I personally think it is wonderful that the OP's son is so inquisitive and full of life.
So you really think it's OK for a child that is old enough to know better to talk at the top of his voice during the entire movie?

A kids movie is going to be louder of course and no one is saying or expecting otherwise.....but kids still need to know how to behave. You do relieze that behavior like this ruins the movie for the other children there...not just the evil adults?

It's quite possible to not quealch a childs inquisitivnes while still teaching him how to behave in a movie theater.

PS: Your age has nothing to do with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting