Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 01:16 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think most often its more who can fiancé the family best; really. Its obvious most father do not want to be and are not same as mother really. To me its the same as saying women typical can compete with men in matters of physical strength as a population.
Nurturing is a learned trait. My father spent his life raising dogs, so when I came along, he jumped right in on the raising. My male relative who does at least 50 percent of the typical "mom" role stuff (since he and his wife both work) grew up taking care of younger siblings, and actually knew far more than his wife about child care when they both became first-time parents. I'm highly nurturing, but it's not because I've got a vagina - I spent my early life helping my father take care of his hunting dogs and was the oldest of several cousins.

Oxytocin promotes bonding between a mother and child, but fathers get a similar hormonal reward when they care for their children.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:49 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
My father loves me but was always working and hardly ever hung out with me at all until I was an adult, I was cool with it.

That's nice. I said nothing about fathers (or mothers) who work and weren't around much.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:12 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Tell me how is being unable to be with your own children for more than 30 minutes "bring a great dad"?
OP didn't say anything about not being able to hang with the kids more than 30 minutes. He said 1/2 a day alone with the kids. Besides, he lives with the kids, his wife, and financially supports the whole family. That's a tall order. Work isn't fun. Otherwise it would be called fun, not work.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:13 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irononehuh View Post
I would love to be a stay at home dad. My kids are 8 and 5. The way it is now I go to work at 5:30am so I can get off earlier. I get home about 15 mins before the school bus gets there. My wife works full time and is also in nursing school. Homework, dinner, showers, cheerleading, soccer, PTA , etc. Thats all on me. It is alot of work and it does get frustrating but it's pretty awesome too. So, being a stay at home dad for me would just be sitting around until school gets out.
Except full time stay at home parents typically take on the role of primary housekeeper as well, which means doing the household chores, preparing meals, grocery shopping etc. There isn't usually a whole lot of sitting around all day!

Old 06-27-2015, 03:57 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
OP didn't say anything about not being able to hang with the kids more than 30 minutes. He said 1/2 a day alone with the kids. Besides, he lives with the kids, his wife, and financially supports the whole family. That's a tall order. Work isn't fun. Otherwise it would be called fun, not work.
Right...except OP would rather be at work than home with his kids for 1/2 a day. Obviously he finds work more "fun" than hands-on parenting.

Let's not start "parent wars" though. Most parents are working hard whether at home, from home, full time, part time or some mix of the above.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:03 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Instead of shaming stay at home parents, we should be shaming abusive and neglectful parents.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
I even had to call the babysitter one day to give me a break so I could go out for an hour or so when my wife was out.
Does your wife call a babysitter whenever she needs a break or rest?

If she does I hope you have oodles of money because that's a very good way to go broke fast.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
After my first child I had to return to work a week earlier than expected for a training session. To fill the gap before the babysitter was available my husband took that week off and stayed home with the baby. He was scared of the responsibility and unsure of himself so he ended up not leaving the house the entire week and by Friday was saying "I don't know how anybody can do this! I can't don't want to do this!". Haha.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:54 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
I'm a somewhat SAHD. My wife works days, and I work midnights in order to avoid paying for daycare or a full time babysitter for our school aged children. I have to admit, the first couple weeks of summer are always a bit of an adjustment. After a couple weeks, we usually get into the swing of things and I adjust to a broken sleeping pattern. Typically, four hours of sleep when I get home while the kids eat breakfast and play quietly or watch TV, then I make lunch and we go to the park, pool, grocery store, or on some kind of outing. Then I make dinner and nap for a couple hours before going to work.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:57 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
Except full time stay at home parents typically take on the role of primary housekeeper as well, which means doing the household chores, preparing meals, grocery shopping etc. There isn't usually a whole lot of sitting around all day!
That's pretty much my life. Luckily, I like to cook, I'm OCD about my kitchen, the kids do chores for a commission, and I'm better at grocery shopping than my wife is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting