Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times

Advertisements

Scholarships at state universities are based on GPA and SAT/ACT scores. The extra stuff is not even looked at by many of them. The scholarships are standard, which means they go by the numbers. I really don't think you will have trouble getting into a four year school, but I doubt you will get a scholarship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 04:59 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,591,088 times
You should be able to get onto a state school, but who's paying?

Old 06-26-2015, 05:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
The higher your score is on your SAT/ACT the lower your GPA can be. You could also ask your guidance councelor if their is a certain score that allows you automatic admittance to some of the 4 year schools. I know when I was in high school in Missouri, as long as you got a 24 on your ACT you would automatically be admitted to any state school. But also try to raise your GPA for an even better chance of getting admitted somewhere.

But don't go to college just because your mother is threatening you. My parents basically forced me to go right after high school, and I ended up dropping out after a year with a very low GPA. I didn't want to be there, so I wasn't very interested in studying or even going to my classes. It was a complete waste of money. And then when I was ready for college, I wasn't able to go where I wanted to because of my low GPA. Even after doing well at a community college, my transcripts from that first year kept me out of a lot of schools.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786man View Post
My mom had a fund for me but she got rid of it when I was in middle school and spent it because she fiured I would get a full ride when it was time for college
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Your mom sounds nuts. Beyond the haranguing and whatnot, why would ANYONE assume that their child would get a full ride?
No one gets that unless they are coming out of extreme poverty and extraordinarily gifted in some area.

And to eliminate community college as an option? More crazy. Sure lots of students don't finish, but a lot of them shouldn't have gone in the first place.
The only people that I knew who got full ride scholarships were so smart that it was scary---like perfect/almost perfect scores on ACT or SAT AND 4 point (non weighted) or almost 5 point (weighted) grade points. Or were gifted and homeless (or very close to it).

Some of my son's classmates with 33s and 4.5 grade points did not even get any scholarship money at all, let alone a "full ride". Your mother is not in touch with the realities of college today.

I bet that your mother either lied and really did not have any money saved for your college or just spent it on herself and used the "full ride scholarship" as an excuse.

Just do all that you can to improve your grade point and maybe your mom will start to be more reasonable closer to when it is time to start college.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-26-2015 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-26-2015, 05:59 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
I think the mother is being reasonable in this situation. There's nothing that says a parent has to always be there with the money, whenever and wherever their kids decide its right for them.

OP, realize your mother is a person, too. She has expenses you probably don't even realize exist. There's more to life than buying clothes and video games!

I say this more out of frustration with my own kids than anything directed personally at you. My DD was headed for a full-tuition scholarship, bright future, world at her feet. Then, she simply melted away....decided living with her BF, an all-around loser, was a better deal. We had to file truancy charges just to get her to finish high school, which she did. BTW, filing charges, etc, is NOT free. We were sooooo frustrated to see money that could have gone for her education instead going towards private investigators ( to find out WTH she even was), attorney fees, court costs, etc, etc---that alone could have paid tuition for one year at a tier-one university.

We told DD things change, the offers we had made for her we might not be able to offer in the future. Well, things have changed. DH and I are looking at early retirement, due to health reasons, and probably moving for lower cost of living. We had offered her free room & board if she showed progress in school. I told her the deal is off the table. DH and I are looking at retirement in, 1-3 years, that is now our priority.

OP, I'm not trying to suggest you are like my DD, just trying to give you a parent's perspective. Parents are people, too, and don't exist just to satisfy your every last whim. We have our own lives to look out for, at least respect that.

OP, perhaps if you showed your Mom you are trying to be a responsible adult, she might be more willing to work with you? Perhaps get a job, save some money, at least try in school, and realize she has her limits, too, you can't always be the priority. Good luck to both of you

Old 06-26-2015, 06:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
My two daughters who went to college, for them I paid every nickel of their expenses--tuition, books, housing, food, cars-- everything.

My two sons who went into the apprenticeship in my trade and started at 60% of union journeyman scale-- I told them to hit the road.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:58 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
OP needs to study hard in the final year and start thinking about where he'll be living and finding a job when school is out. Seriously, buckling down after 3 years of not? Maybe but unlikely.

My older son joined JROTC going to basic the summer before he was a senior in high school. He worked all that he could with the Reserves while going to college and coupled with scholarships, he managed to complete his BS in Physical Science in 3 years going year round. Now, he is an LTC in the active Army Reserve at 38 years old. He made a plan and nothing was going to change his mind. That is actually what it is all about.

At 18, you should have some kind of direction that you are headed in. I'm guessing mom has just had it with the lazy don't give a darn about school attitude and doesn't want to support the OP for the rest of his life. That is reasonable.

We only have one side to the story.

Homeless is a choice that some people make when they can't or won't follow the rules of society. In this case, homeless would be a choice made by the OP. Mom has a right to set the rules in her house. Son can set the rules in the house that he pays the rent on.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Since the OP lives in FL, his mother likely anticipated he would qualify for the Bright Futures lottery funded state scholarship, which would have covered the bulk of his tuition at a state school. A 3.0 gpa along with service hours and decent SAT or ACT scores are the requirements. It's a bit late to worry about it when he's entering his senior year.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:49 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
No one gets that unless they are coming out of extreme poverty and extraordinarily gifted in some area.
My daughter got a full ride and we are not in extreme poverty, nor is she extraordinarily gifted. She is going to a respectable state school...not the easiest to get into but not the hardest either. She is getting merit scholarships, university grant money, state grant money and federal Pell Grants. The merit money is good for 4 years, the rest has to be reapplied for each year.

OP you need to go to the FAFSA website and learn how the process works. She might be absolutely right about your education being paid for. But YOU have to decide what you want to do, pull your grades up to a decent level, and find a school you want to go to. She can't force you do do any of that. Stop worrying about what she wants and make what you want happen.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:51 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,615,897 times
Community college is actually much smarter option for those that want to avoid paying back tons of student loans. Those classes are 1/3 the cost of regular university courses.

Get accepted into a two year program......finish up all of your core classes....bust your but to keep your gpa high.....and when your two years are up you will qualify for junior college transfer scholarships.

Enroll in a good community college, find a couple of part-time gigs, work your way through your associates and stack your money. Stay at home as long as you can if you can bear it. That will help you with costs.

Whatever you do....STAY OUT OF DEBT.

Debt will paralyze you more than any crazy thing your parents have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting