Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 611 times

Advertisements

Hello Readers,
My mother and I do not have a great relationship. I wouldn't say that I am a (problem child) but we do butt heads a lot. When she wants me to do something, and I dont complete the task on the first request or whatever the situation may be, she will threaten to commit suicide and freak out. often times if we are arguing, she will pull a knife out of the drawer and threaten to kill herself if i dont stop arguing or what have you.

I also, have a very bad anxiety problem and when she does this i have a mental break down and cannot control myself (not in a violent way or anger wise, in the sense of anxiousness and upset) i usually go into a very depressive crying state and it is very damaging to my body physically and mentally. I do not think it is ok for her to use suicidal threats as a parenting style. She does not really feel suicidal she just uses it to end arguments. I have been very close to reporting it to 911 but the only thing that stops me is the possibility of my twin sister and I going into foster care.

If I were to report this and they take her to a mental facility, would I be able to live with another relative in the mean-time and continue living with her afterwards? This is my main concern because i live next door to my grandmother and I would most likely want to live with her until my mother lives home because we do not have a father in the picture because my parents are divorced, but I would not like to go into foster care because there is a chance that my sister and I will not be together.

Someone please help! and please no comments from mothers saying things like: "you should just respect your mother" IT IS FAR MORE COMPLICATED THAN JUST RESPECT AND STUFF

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 07:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Can't you ask your grandmother for help? That would be the logical first step. How old are you?

Old 06-27-2015, 07:52 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
I don't think anyone is going to say 'just respect your mother'. If your mom is threatening suicide no matter what the reason, she's needs psychological help. Next time do her and yourself a favor. Call 911 and tell them. They'll bring her in for a psyche eval. They may not keep her long. It may only be a couple of hours before she's home again, but they should be able to diagnose your mom and recommend medication if she suffers from depression, or at the very least they'll scare her into not using suicide threats as a way of controlling you. Either way, your mom needs help and you don't need this added stress.

and yes, they'll ask if you've got relatives you can stay with so as long as grandma say's it's ok they'll probably let you stay with her.

and I'm a mom.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I don't think calling 911 is the best action to take, since the OP is asking if she can stay with her grandmother only until her mother is released. There is no guarantee the mother will be able to just move back home and retain custody of her kids.

She needs to get an adult relative involved. What her mother is doing is despicable. Ideally somebody can talk some sense into her, since the OP claims the suicide threats aren't serious.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
Your mom has a mental illness and you are in a highly dysfunctional situation. I am so sorry, kiddo. Can you talk to a school counselor?

Old 06-29-2015, 12:51 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
The advice would depend on your age and your sister's age. I am assuming you are in your teens but the advice would be different depending on the ages.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Move in with your grandmother asap. I would also have your grandmother call social services. You shouldn't have to figure out what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting