Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:06 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You guys crack me up.

How is it possible that these new problems did not exist 40 years ago? How is it possible that so many generations lived without these new problems?

Just THINK for a minute. These are not new problems. They all existed 40 years ago. 40 years ago, they were just called "insane" and they were sent to an asylum. Do you know of any asylum's now? Are there any where you live? No. They're all gone. Where are the people who used to be in them? Obviously, they are much more often out in society now, because we know more about what is wrong with them, and have better therapy and medication to help them so they don't have to live in an asylum anymore.

Come on, this is easy stuff.

Quote:
There is a reason my kids did not need a belt. We worked with them, as parents should work there kids. If they had needed it we would have given it to them.

The reason your kids were fine is because they WERE NOT SICK. Your kids didn't have cancer because they didn't have cancer. But other kids still have cancer. Just because your kids didn't have cancer, and you've never met a kid with cancer, does not mean there are no kids with cancer! THINK, (wo)man, THINK!

Quote:
Lack of parenting is hurting our kids. We have created a bunch of feel good do nothing kids that are hurting this nation. No respect for anything and thinking that they can have anything they want.

Of course lack of parenting is hurting our kids. But GOOD parents notice if their kids are sick, and get them help from a freaking doctor!! Any parent who looks at their sick child and thinks "all they need is a good whippin" is a BAD PARENT.

Yes, some kids are just bad because they've been underparented. But some kids are truly truly sick. And you know how to tell the difference between them? You take them to a doctor! OMG! Genius! Who could have thunk it!

I may be a rocket scientist (yes, I am for real), but THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. For Pete's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 12:32 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Just THINK for a minute. These are not new problems. They all existed 40 years ago. 40 years ago, they were just called "insane" and they were sent to an asylum. Do you know of any asylum's now? Are there any where you live? No. They're all gone. Where are the people who used to be in them? Obviously, they are much more often out in society now, because we know more about what is wrong with them, and have better therapy and medication to help them so they don't have to live in an asylum anymore.
I totally agree. These are not new problems. I used to know a man who had Asperger's, but when he was a teenager back in the 70s, his parents put him into a mental hospital; they didn't know why he was the way he was. He wasn't diagnosed back then. He spent most of his teen years in a mental hospital, really for no reason.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:55 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
You guys crack me up.

How is it possible that these new problems did not exist 40 years ago? How is it possible that so many generations lived without these new problems?
They DID exist 40 years ago except back then those kids were labeled problem children, stupid, lazy and juvenile delinquents.

Quote:
There is a reason my kids did not need a belt. We worked with them, as parents should work there kids. If they had needed it we would have given it to them.

Yes food issues are a problem. We are the most overfed undernourished nation on earth. The kind of foods that people eat today are hurting our kids.

Lack of parenting is hurting our kids. We have created a bunch of feel good do nothing kids that are hurting this nation. No respect for anything and thinking that they can have anything they want.
Please explain how, in many families, all of the children except for one are well behaved, well mannered people yet one - the one with ADHD - is not? Please explain how a parent who doesn't parent has well behaved children except for one.

You are oversimplifying the issue big time. I have rules, consequences. We have chores. We expect hard work, kindness, accountability. So explain why our other children have all picked these up through teaching and modeling but my son has not?

Old 11-05-2016, 01:37 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
That kid does not need a Doctor, he needs to be slapped across the face.
I'm not into PC so my inclination would be to agree with you. On the other hand, can't bipolar do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
There is plenty of literature about the difference between this disorder and normal childhood rebellion/limit-testing. There is also a handy book that summarizes it, known as DSM IV.

Psychiatric diagnoses have specific criteria that differentiate symptoms from normal behavior and experiences. Opinions on an Internet forum don't change that.
My politically incorrect view is that if you don't set and maintain limits on a consistent basis that will cause what society considers a problem and doctors consider a disorder. Even if you don't teach a dog limits as a puppy you'll wind up with a biter. Same with people.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:07 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm not into PC so my inclination would be to agree with you. On the other hand, can't bipolar do that?

My politically incorrect view is that if you don't set and maintain limits on a consistent basis that will cause what society considers a problem and doctors consider a disorder. Even if you don't teach a dog limits as a puppy you'll wind up with a biter. Same with people.
Can bipolar do what?

Old 11-05-2016, 03:33 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
[quote=SOON2BNSURPRISE;46036207]You guys crack me up.

Yes food issues are a problem. We are the most overfed undernourished nation on earth. The kind of foods that people eat today are hurting our kids.

Lack of parenting is hurting our kids. We have created a bunch of feel good do nothing kids that are hurting this nation. No respect for anything and thinking that they can have anything they want.[/QUOTE]

There is a vast difference between a person who has an attitude of spoiled entitlement and a person who has disabilities. One is a learned behavior, the other is a neurological disorder. Confusing the two is what keeps many disabled children from getting the adequate help they need.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,133 times
OP...may be true. Some people go against any normal societal conventions.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpres...d-teoli-jr.jpg

I read abut one lesbi gal. She said once homo marriage became law she didn't want to get married any more. Said it didn't appeal to her once it became accepted as apple pie. Some people just need things to fight against to be happy.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Can bipolar do what?
Create the offending symptoms?

Old 11-06-2016, 05:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm not into PC so my inclination would be to agree with you. On the other hand, can't bipolar do that?My politically incorrect view is that if you don't set and maintain limits on a consistent basis that will cause what society considers a problem and doctors consider a disorder. Even if you don't teach a dog limits as a puppy you'll wind up with a biter. Same with people.
You call it nonpolitically correct. I call it ignorance of science proven facts. Does no one respect the scientific method anymore?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You call it nonpolitically correct. I call it ignorance of science proven facts. Does no one respect the scientific method anymore?
I allowed the possibility that mental illnesses can cause those problems. You didn't read my post very carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting