Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times

Advertisements

My kids are too little and haven't been aware of any of it, but I love the fact that they will grow up not knowing any different .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Raising good human adults doesn't involve making them leave the house as soon as possible

My goal is to raise a responsible and independent adult...not a race to hiw fast I can dump my child into the street.
You are being really weird about an off hand joke comment.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
I have made my children wear rainbow colored clothing since the day of the ruling. They are starting to smell.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
My 9 y.o. daughter asked me about what the SC ruling meant. We had a long conversation about the decision and its' impact. The conclusion was that "Just because something is legal doesn't always make it right, and just because something is illegal doesn't always make it wrong". She sees the absurdity of the SC decision.

She asked "Dad, if anyone can marry anyone they love, can I marry you?" That's a valid question, and the logical answer would be yes. If the answer is no, then why would the rule apply differently to that situation?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
I don't quite know why, but this thread got me thinking of this.

BBC NEWS | Africa | Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat

And the divorce.

Man widowed after his goat 'wife' chokes to death | Daily Mail Online

Seriously though, I'm sure many would ask why anyone would fight for the right to get married, that in itself would be hard to explain to a child.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:15 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Things my son will never understand.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:29 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
My 9 y.o. daughter asked me about what the SC ruling meant. We had a long conversation about the decision and its' impact. The conclusion was that "Just because something is legal doesn't always make it right, and just because something is illegal doesn't always make it wrong". She sees the absurdity of the SC decision.

She asked "Dad, if anyone can marry anyone they love, can I marry you?" That's a valid question, and the logical answer would be yes. If the answer is no, then why would the rule apply differently to that situation?

One, there are many different types of love and romantic love is completely different than familial love or love between friends. And two, just as it is illegal for a straight man to marry his straight daughter, it is illegal for a gay man to marry his gay son. To try and compare romantic love with incest is ridiculous.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:54 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are being really weird about an off hand joke comment.
Yes, I didn't really get the uproar about a comment about the kids leaving home. You know though, I got that from someone once because they were horrified about the child some day leaving the home, it was not about the child but about the parent feeling they would not be able to let go. I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
One, there are many different types of love and romantic love is completely different than familial love or love between friends. And two, just as it is illegal for a straight man to marry his straight daughter, it is illegal for a gay man to marry his gay son. To try and compare romantic love with incest is ridiculous.
That is an important point to be brought up. Just because you love someone, that doesn't mean you want to or would be able to marry them. You can love people of both sexes and be heteroseuxal, homosexual or asexual. Not all people that marry do love one another.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:05 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
My 11 year old asked me and I told him that it's more of a legal issue than actual marriage.
Whether or not they can get married is not gonna stop them from loving each other or sleeping in the same bed.
The issue is that they don't get the same benefits that married people get.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
My kids are too little and haven't been aware of any of it, but I love the fact that they will grow up not knowing any different .
Same here (law passed on it last year over here). So glad my kid will grow up seeing it as normal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting