Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do your children play in your front yard without constant parent supervision?
YES 54 66.67%
NO 27 33.33%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 08:27 PM

2,975 posts, read 1,645,736 times

Advertisements

When I was a child growing up in a mid-sized Southern town we children played on our quiet street all day long.

We'd go in for lunch, often at each other's houses, then back out in the street until dinner.

That was America in the 50s. Fast forward to the 80s when my husband and I were raising his two children in the country.

A mile off the main road, long private drive with gate, the kids could go outside during the day without supervision.

We now live in a suburb of the town I grew up in. A Leave It To Beaver neighborhood. A safe, leafy, quiet lane.

Our great-niece 7 and her brother 2 are here a lot.

Yet they aren't allowed to be in the front yard unless I'm out there with them. If anything happened to these precious children it would be beyond horrible. There are no words.

I'm probably being way over-protective but better to be safe than sorry.

Even playing in the back yard, I check out the window every 5 minutes or so. We practice what to do if a car stops out front or a stranger enters the yard. (Scream and run toward the back door)

A hovering great-aunt but I don't intend to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 07:08 AM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
I did not give permission to my son to play outside only until he crossed 9. And only in the street right in front of our house. He is not allowed to leave the street. For younger children it is not safe.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:16 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
We lived on a busy street when I was a kid. My mom and dad would not let us play in the front yard by ourselves. One time, a drunk driver ran his car up into our yard, and knocked over our Oleander bush. My parents had good reason.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:20 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolair View Post
I did not give permission to my son to play outside only until he crossed 9. And only in the street right in front of our house. He is not allowed to leave the street. For younger children it is not safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
We lived on a busy street when I was a kid. My mom and dad would not let us play in the front yard by ourselves. One time, a drunk driver ran his car up into our yard, and knocked over our Oleander bush. My parents had good reason.
I'm all for children maybe six and up playing unsupervised or walking home from school unsupervised. But we have a unique problem; neighbors have, I'm guessing, a ten and eight year old that like to take leaps off our retaining wall. We don't allow that and have complained to the neighborhood association.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:02 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I let my 3 and 5 yr old play in our fenced in backyard not the front.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:41 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Over two decades ago, I did not let my kids play outside at that age unsupervised, although it was a big yard and a quiet street. (Despite the fact that when I grew up, we played all afternoon--and in the summer, all day long--in the front yards of most of the homes in our neighborhood.)

Old 10-25-2019, 07:24 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
As children, we were allowed to more or less, go wherever we wanted. We roamed far and wide. And, we walked to school by ourselves. I think the only time my mom ever walked to school with me, was the first day of first grade.

I got my first library card when I was 7, and I was allowed (encouraged even) to go to the library pretty much whenever I wanted. We lived in a neighborhood with several children, and we were always over at someone's house, or they were over at our house. I don't remember a time when my parents or another adult took us trick or treating. We took ourselves.

But we lived on a busy street, and we were not allowed to play in the front. lol

Besides, the back yard was were the fun was. We had a playhouse, a sandbox, swings, and a big cable spool that we turned on it's side, and we'd play like we were lumberjacks rolling logs, all over the back yard. Often, all the kids came to OUR yard to play.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:47 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
As children, we were allowed to more or less, go wherever we wanted. We roamed far and wide. And, we walked to school by ourselves. I think the only time my mom ever walked to school with me, was the first day of first grade.
In first grade I remember riding the bus home to other friends in Riverdale, the Bronx, NYC. In second grade we moved to the suburbs. Play in the front yard and neighborhood was allowed. We did the same with our children.

By the end of third grade, my bicycle travel radius was the subject of much contention. At the beginning of fourth grade, fall of 1966 it was roughly 1/2 mile alone, 1 mile with other people my age. That spring even that restriction had to disappear because I was included in pick-up baseball games approximately 1 mile from my house. That caused some controversy.

Night bicycle riding became an issue in my first year of high school, 1971-2. My parents would not allow it, except with special permission. That fall, 1972-3, with my father's developing cancer recurrence and ultimate death, I got what I wanted; unrestricted day and night bicycle travel. I did not want "Mommy" driving me places. The purpose was to attend night activities at the High School and YM-YWHA (now the JCC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting