Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 08:22 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times

Advertisements

They're seven. Let it go. (not the vandalizing though). As for being bare chested, at a pool it's expected. Anywhere else - well if you're in shape, go for it. My sister was on vacation and happened to be at the same beach Lebron was at with his kids. There should be a law against that man ever wearing a shirt.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 PM

563 posts, read 524,281 times
Default Sometimes a frog is just a frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
You take that back! I am not afraid to fart! I'm not ashamed of anything except losing my patience with people who are rude and lack civility. (I don't mean you, Hollywood)

I don't look for "sexual weirdness" and I mind my own business. BUT when someone shows up on CD and wants to know what's wrong with walking to the pool with no shirt on, and having a dust-up with a couple of mouthy kids, and approaching their father about their comments, I understand why other posters respond.

I am one of those people who believe that a tee shirt is not a cumbersome garment - it's easy-on, easy-off and wearing it on the stroll to the pool shouldn't be too difficult to manage. I don't think it's "sexual" but I do think it's insensitive. NO, I'm not talking about shirtless at the pool. But the OP was on his way to the pool.

I also believe that if the shirtless men who insist on showing off their non-existent six-packs while out in public had any idea of how often passers-by laugh at them, they'd cover up without hesitation. As we age, our eyesight usually begins to dim: there's a good reason for that; it's so we can't see our bodies succumb to gravity.

It is generally suggested that in hot weather, one wear a light garment to wick away the perspiration and cool the body. I think I learned that in seventh grade hygiene class.

Now as to what they do in Europe, I'm not familiar with the culture. But even if the people there walk around in a state of near-nudity, you can bet that there are plenty of others who are making judgments about the bodies on display. Of course, if you're referring to topless beaches, that's their culture. Go there, don't go there, modest people won't. The attendees won't care.

Being an "older woman", I don't feel shame about my body, since it's on the right side of the dirt. But when I venture out to the store, or the theater, or a walk around the neighborhood, I won't wear shorts and a tank top. (I do wear those at the beach) Let's just say I have no illusions about what I look like and I'd rather not subject others to that vision.

For the OP, the neighborhood kids have obviously heard about "the naked man" from their mom or dad who have seen him pass by before sans top, so it was an exercise in futility to report the kids to the source.

I am so happy that I struck such a cord with you! And so liberated, too! You can fart at will, without any care in the world! Bravo for you. (Just try to keep of your bowels under control, especially in certain locations , think elevators and dinning rooms). And as far as "sexual wideness" goes, if you do not know what that means, maybe you should not comment on it. But then again, you seem to well aware of everything. A know it all of unequal purport. But thank you for your smug desertion. At least if was entertaining.

Last edited by Hollywood55; 07-05-2015 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Spell check

Old 07-05-2015, 02:08 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Really? I think he have EVERY right to have a visit. They were rude to HIM and he certainly has a right to tell how he feels about it! How the heck are these little brats going to learn? Certainly not from their own parents, so he did the right thing period. I personally would have left my shirt off from then on to boot regardless if I was in the pool area or not.
I am only responding to this post, but remember what I said about CPS? I don't need any more trouble from that direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nothing a 7 year old says to you is hazing.
When you live at close quarters with people in an HOA (he lives about 20 yards from my house) you really have to finely mix getting along and showing some degree of assertiveness.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:11 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
What you experienced is the same thing that dog walkers have to deal with every single day. "Oh noes black dog, he is going to kill us".
Typical of what black labs do, actually.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Regarding their behavior as "hazing" rather than brushing it off as something snotty said by stupid kids is giving the stupid kids way too much power over you. Their testicles haven't even dropped. They're seven and still eat their boogers. You're a grown-up, they can't haze you.
Wow. I completely disagree. I don't think kids should get a free pass to be *******s because of their age. I commend the OP for going to see dad and I'd hope other adults would do the same. I'd welcome an adult letting me know if my child was acting like a jerk.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I wouldn't say "wrong", but my preference is for people to be clothed until just before they do whatever it is they needed to be in-clothed for...

For example, my husband and sons would not walk over to the pool shirtless to begin with. Another example, we used to have a neighbor who did all of his yardwork and any other outside work, shirtless. To the point where we didn't recognize him in clothes. It was awkward, IMO, to have long neighborly chat with man who appears to be naked because his tummy obstructs the view of his shorts...

I also don't like when men/boys run shirtless. Or when women/girls run with just a sports bra on. It's just too much of a sweaty skin assault on the public. Tech shirts/tanks work just fine.

Hopefully, my children would not be so rude as to taunt someone who was not fully dressed, but they would quietly comment to me if they thought someone was gratuitously naked. It's awkward. Wear a shirt!
Oh brother. This disgust of the human body is way overboard.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
It would seem that a better way for you to be "pro-active" would be to always wear a shirt when walking to the pool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Were you shirtless for the entire walk over there, even if it was from your car, or did you unveil your magnificent body just prior to the plunge into said pool?
I'm interested to know what the reaction would be to this thread if a woman had started it and she was made fun of for showing off her legs or arms...think sports bra and shorts while jogging.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I don't know...

A lot of men seem to think every woman in revealing dress deserves to be catcalled...maybe this is just a male version of the same thing.

If the OP was a woman, most of you proudly shirtless men would say "don't like it? Cover up!"
I certainly wouldn't and I'm applying the same logic to this case. People should be able to walk down the street without being harrassed. The attitude in this thread towards the OP is disgusting.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

Once I was in the park and this woman was sunbathing not too far away from me. She was in a bathing suit. Luckily for her, an entire class of children walked by and a bunch of them started yelling, "Ew, she's naked!"

What's interesting is that she did not get upset and post on CD---she just ignored them.
I hope their teacher gave them a lesson about manners!

Old 07-07-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
She whispered it...btw, they aren't robots. And they aren't adults. They are kids. THis board has me cracking up all the time with all the perfect parents raising perfect children.
My kids aren't perfect. They've each had several foot in mouth moments that were swiftly taken care of by me or my husband. We didn't excuse their behavior and we made sure to let them know exactly how wrong it was to speak and act rudely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting