Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 07:06 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,665 times

Advertisements

My kids are almost 6 and 7 and have chores. Make their beds, pick up clutter, load and empty the dishwasher, sort laundry, unpack the groceries, garbage and recycling, get the mail, set the table, feed the dog, weed the flower beds. They are very willing and able helpers at this age at least. I don't pay an allowance but only pay for special jobs like clean the fence. My kids both play sports and I pay for their sports so that keeps them motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 07:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Yes, at 9 and 11 they help take out the trash, sort and fold laundry, tidy up...

Old 07-03-2015, 07:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am always embarrassed to admit (on these forums) that I don't require my kids to make their beds. I see no point. If someone is coming over it takes me a few minutes to make all the beds in the house (if they are home I ask them to do their own).

We don't have lists. We just expect the kids to participate in running the household. I usually do laundry but sometimes I ask the kids to help. If I cook, they clean the kitchen and vice versa. The pails need to get taken to the street on garbage pickup day and brought back up in the afternoon. I expect them to participate as needed. We don't have lists. We just all help with whatever needs to be done.
You're in good company. None of the beds in this house are currently made.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Same here!

Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
The last time I made a bed was when we were having a semi new group of friends over for dinner....I knew there woukd be a house tour at some point....the duvets were put on nicely and the accent pillows actually put on the bed!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:16 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Same here. I've never understood the urgency of a made bed.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
My 3 year old picks up his toys and has been feeding the dogs since before he was 2.
First with help. Now on his own.
He also does whatever I tell him. He is kind of perfectionist, so if you tell him to dust a table, he will get every speck of dust off of it.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:03 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
My 4 year old doesn't really have chores yet, but she'll often help me with things like emptying the dishwasher and putting clothes in the washing machine. On cleaning day she has to clean her room before she's allowed out to play.

My OH gives her opportunities to earn money by doing tasks for him, like pulling weeds, cleaning the toilet, "helping" him fix things etc.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:10 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I am always embarrassed to admit (on these forums) that I don't require my kids to make their beds. I see no point. If someone is coming over it takes me a few minutes to make all the beds in the house (if they are home I ask them to do their own).

We don't have lists. We just expect the kids to participate in running the household. I usually do laundry but sometimes I ask the kids to help. If I cook, they clean the kitchen and vice versa. The pails need to get taken to the street on garbage pickup day and brought back up in the afternoon. I expect them to participate as needed. We don't have lists. We just all help with whatever needs to be done.
A bedroom can be in perfect order but if the bed is unmade it looks like a wreck! ...and you must agree if you make the beds for company!

Also, getting into a bed with sheets smooth and straight is such a pleasure at the end of the day, versus one where the covers are all crumpled and rough, pulled over to the other side etc. Used to be that in training for CNAs they were taught the importance of smoothing wrinkles out of sheets as they are hard on the skin, especially for older folks and those who are bedridden.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Yes, it is nice to enter a nicely made bed at the end of the day, but I don't consider it a tremendous failure if it doesn't get done. I can always smooth the sheets before I hop in at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting