Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:17 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to comment yet; just sharing the info.

Doctors: Babies spending too much time in 'containers' | Local News - Home

Study: 40 Percent Of Children Lacking Secure Attachments | BellyBelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 01:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
My kids are in elementary school now but I thought this was a huge issue when they were babies with friends. So many kids seemed to live in their carriers or other "containers". I only had mine in when I had to...I guess I just didn't see the point in lugging around gear to put them down in. But I held my kids a lot. or put them down to play when they were old enough. Regardless, one of my kids has gross motor delay and one has attachment issues (adoption) so it didn't totally cure all that. Its just...I don't know...weird to me to not carry, hold, wear your baby.

One more hippy mom thought I was cruel because I had a large area fenced in for my babies to play in when I couldn't have my eyes on them. She called it the baby cage. But I mean, it was massive for a play pen (5x10ft at least) and we had dogs and a pool and I had to be able to take my eyes off them sometimes. So maybe I am being just as judgmental about baby containers.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:12 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Maybe it was just me as a parent. My babies weren't very fond of their containers. I had fussy babies if I left them in there for any length of time. My first two were really early crawlers and walkers. I'm always shocked to see a parent with a 9 month old or older baby who will stay in a car seat. My kids were walking by then.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:15 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
When "baby wearing" became a fad, all the other "containers" followed. Kids need belly time, time to just lay on the floor and explore, etc. Just more paranoia in parenting really. Yes, there are times when you need to have them secured in a chair or whatever, but not all day long.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:23 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
When "baby wearing" became a fad, all the other "containers" followed. Kids need belly time, time to just lay on the floor and explore, etc. Just more paranoia in parenting really. Yes, there are times when you need to have them secured in a chair or whatever, but not all day long.
Baby wearing isn't a fad - it was and is the norm in many, many other countries.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:31 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
My kid hated any kind of container at all, including the baby swing. He screamed bloody murder if I put him in anything at all. I finally found a motorized swing that he would sleep in for a short time, but I pretty much couldn't let go of him (he didn't like the floor any better) for the first six months of his life.

I don't think the problem is the containers - I think it's the parents who lock the kids in them just so that they don't have to do anything with them. I saw lots of women walking around with screaming kids in carseats, and I knew someone who left her kid locked into a highchair for hours at a time instead of getting a babysitter. It's not the containers, it's just the same crappy parenting that has always been around and will always be around, especially for lower-income and less educated people.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Proper baby wearing is not a container. It's described in the second link as a way to promote bonding between parent and baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Baby wearing isn't a fad - it was and is the norm in many, many other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
My kid hated any kind of container at all, including the baby swing. He screamed bloody murder if I put him in anything at all. I finally found a motorized swing that he would sleep in for a short time, but I pretty much couldn't let go of him (he didn't like the floor any better) for the first six months of his life.

I don't think the problem is the containers - I think it's the parents who lock the kids in them just so that they don't have to do anything with them. I saw lots of women walking around with screaming kids in carseats, and I knew someone who left her kid locked into a highchair for hours at a time instead of getting a babysitter. It's not the containers, it's just the same crappy parenting that has always been around and will always be around, especially for lower-income and less educated people.
Totally agree. The object isn't the problem, it's the people who abuse them. I have and have used containers for my kids, but they spent very little time in them. They were/are only in their car seats in the car. I wore or carried all my babies in stores, restaurants, parks, etc. I had a bouncer and a swing for when I needed to do something, but they were never in there for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.

It makes really sad to see babies in car seats sitting on the floor at places pretty much being ignored while the parents and older children interact with each other. I am glad there are studies now showing that spending all this time contained does have long term negative effects on babies.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:22 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
I despise those Bumbo seats. The babies look squashed and uncomfortable and I can't imagine it really helps them do anything that babies without them haven't been doing naturally for eons.

A blanket spread on the ground and the baby in the middle. Tons of nice exercise possibilities and fun.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:35 AM

154 posts, read 259,950 times
I am all for a "container" to help a parent out when they need to do other things as well as tending to the child. I used high chairs obviously for feeding but also to keep the kids with me in the kitchen while I cooked. I used swings to do some cleaning and help the child calm down. But most of the time was spent on the floor. I firmly believe every child needs this to develop and if you childproof the area you shouldn't have problems.

I also used strollers but only up to 1 year of age, when the kids could walk. After that there was no stroller, it would take pretty long sometimes, and sometimes I would have to carry them as they got tired but it was worth it. They are learning to walk! Let them! I find it so unsettling when I see a child close to 5 years in a stroller. Of course they are exemptions, if you are going on a long shopping trip or to an amusement park a stroller could be a big help, but to walk around the neighborhood or a walk to the park? no.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:22 PM

436 posts, read 421,072 times
None of my kids liked or enjoyed containers at home, and I generally wore them as babies when out and about, for convenience - but I've become really non-judgmental about other peoples' parenting styles. With my first child, I was all but embarrassed to be seen with a stroller instead of a wrap. By my third, I was like... whatever works.

That said, I don't until this day understand why people lug around car seats with wide awake infants in it. (If it was a sleeping infant, I can see not wanting to wake them up by unbuckling, but mostly that's not what we're talking about here.) I'm not even talking about securing it into a stroller / travel system. I'm talking about full on lugging / swinging a heavy seat in one arm and a packed diaper bag in the other hand. Especially for barely-postpartum mothers - or, on the other end of the spectrum, mothers of huge, heavy babies. It looks comfortable for absolutely no one involved. Even if it's convenient to have a clean place to set the baby down once you get to your destination, it just seems like such a hassle. I see this a lot less now than I did when I first became a parent, but we also lived in a very low SES area at the time, and now we live in a higher one where you mostly see Ergos and such... so it may be a function of that. Or maybe it's the times have changed. I don't know, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting