Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:35 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Village where Eliphalet Remington forged his first barrel and then the place became the home of Remington Arms so I grew up around guns.
I allowed my son , with my hands also on the gun to shoot a 22 rifle and hand gun when he was 5 years old.
I used to buy bricks of 22 ammo from Walmart and let him blaze through them target shooting on a private range until he was bored silly.
As he got older, he became very proficient at skeet and target shooting but has never expressed any interest in shooting animals for sport or for food.
He pretty much has lost all interest in guns now at 29 as it seems to be that it was just a passage through youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:38 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But why does your son need a pistol? Handguns aren't used for hunting. Is it strictly for target shooting?
I think many posters don't realize that when responsible, gun owning parents give their kid a gun, they don't let them keep it under the pillow.

In the homes I'm aware of the guns are kept under lock and key (whether a trigger lock or a safe/locked room or both.) Johnny gets to shoot his pistol when his Dad unlocks it and takes him out with it.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:55 PM

745 posts, read 800,732 times
I have a 13 year old boy in the house (my probably soon to be stepson), he is too immature for me to even get him a BB gun, let alone let him shoot even a 22 or any firearm

If and when the time comes, I will let him, but he's not ready yet.

I think all the anti-gun people here are funny, and sad at the same time

Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
......I think all the anti-gun people here are funny, and sad at the same time
I hear ya'. Some clown had to bring up..........................."hand grenades".

Really?

Last edited by doc1; 07-13-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 03:48 PM

676 posts, read 725,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think many posters don't realize that when responsible, gun owning parents give their kid a gun, they don't let them keep it under the pillow.

In the homes I'm aware of the guns are kept under lock and key (whether a trigger lock or a safe/locked room or both.) Johnny gets to shoot his pistol when his Dad unlocks it and takes him out with it.
Exactly!! My son showed that he can be responsible useing his bb gun, 410 and 22 rifle. He begged me for over 6 months to get the pistol he wanted for his birthday. In my state it is legal to hunt with a pistol but he does only use his pistol for target practice. He has the 22 rifle and 410 for hunting. We have shot tannerite for some nice explosions so I suppose some grenades would be fun

Old 07-13-2015, 03:59 PM

189 posts, read 178,553 times
I was allowed to fire a BB gun at the age of 5. My grand-dad had to work the spring handle for me because I was too little. First real gun, a .22 rifle, was a Christmas present to me from my parents at age 12. Firearms and shooting have been a life long passion/hobby for me. I have three daughters, ages 22, 18, and 16. Each one of them was taught about rifles, pistols and shotguns from an early age. Each one can shoot as well if not better than I can.

I would not want to live in a county that did not allow personal firearm ownership.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:36 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
What age? I don't know. Still in elementary school, maybe 10 years old? His best friend's father would take the kids quail and pheasant hunting, so he was using a shotgun under careful supervision. I bought him archery equipment about that age, which he used under supervision.

He was trained in handgun target shooting at the age of 11.

He got his first deer rifle when he was 15, and he was out hunting on his own with that after he turned 16. That's the first time he was allowed to handle firearms without supervision and by that time he was super careful about safety. That deer rifle was the first gun that he owned.

My personal opinion is that is is much safer to teach children how to handle dangerous items. That works better than crossing your fingers and putting your head in the sand. I spent hours doing firearms training and more hours letting him play with fire in a safely confined fire pit with adult supervision. Then, many more hours making sure he could ride a horse and drive a dune buggy safely. He was taught wilderness survival, how to react to wildlife, how to boat and canoe..... I didn't want him to find himself in a potentially dangerous situation and not know what to do.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:00 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
......When did your kid get his first golf club or tennis racket? No we don't ask that either. .........
First golf clubs? He must have been about 9. He and his friends would play a round of golf a couple of times a week after school. First tennis racket? Never. He played with borrowed rackets enough times to know that it didn't appeal to him, so he never played much tennis.

I know that this is the first time that anyone has asked when he got his first golf clubs and I am pretty darn sure this is the first time anyone asked when he got his first gun.

Really, nobody cares, except for a parent wondering if it is time to buy the first gun or the first golf clubs. I suspect that if you go to a golfing forum, there are parents there asking when children got their first golf clubs.

Hey! He got his first pony when he was one year old. Now there is a question I've been asked a lot: when to buy the child his first horse. I've been asked that hundreds of times.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:59 PM

6,816 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I don't think it is so much the age that matters as the parenting.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Yes, I know that squirrels and chipmunks can be nuisances and pests.....but teaching a child to kill them for sport is not how to go about controlling them. And I believe they they eat all the squirrel they kill as much as I believe in the tooth fairy.
Does one occupy the moral high ground if he kills squirrels and chipmunks with a trap or poison rather than with a firearm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting