Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:31 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
'

Oh, I agree! Lady is so 50's.

I think Helen Reddy fixed that in the 70's
We should raising independent women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 08:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't think men or women should be loud and boisterous in public.
Hear, hear!

Old 07-12-2015, 08:47 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Are parents still teaching their daughters to be ladies? While I believe women achieving everything they may desire in their hearts, there is a certain way to carry yourself. Is that a lost art?

Things my mother taught me:
*A professional/educated women should never have to announce her background or achievement -it should be apparent by the way you dress and how you carry yourself.
*Don't be loud. Everyone in your vicinity should not clearly hear your conversation.
*The man that is a professional is looking for a woman that matches his presentation and appearance.

As a mother/father - do you teach your children to act like ladies?
I'm not teaching my daughter to be a lady in the above sense. I am teaching her to be a lady in that, hopefully, she learns self respect for herself and secondly respect for others.

Women don't dress in the manner of the past. I don't care as much what my daughter is wearing as long as her boobs and butt aren't showing. It's entirely possible to look good without putting it all on display. She likes to be cute and makes her own fashion statements, but so far, it's for her. I'm not teaching her to dress to impress guys. She does dress up or down depending upon the occasion.

She's 11 so she is still in the loud stage at home. At school, she is more reserved.

In this day and age, we do have to speak up more for our achievements. My husband has been told that at work and the same goes for my daughter. You don't have to be a braggart, but your own best promoter is you.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:12 PM

575 posts, read 884,456 times
Ugh, no. I raised mine to be good WOMEN.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:57 PM

251 posts, read 522,919 times
Absolutely yes. And, we raised our two sons to be gentlemen to ladies...

Old 07-12-2015, 11:04 PM

251 posts, read 522,919 times
If you're interested in raising your daughter to be a "lady", you're way ahead of most folks already. As our society continues it's downhill slide, educated, cultured and sophisticated young people are becoming rare. Manners, courtesy, consideration, appreciation for real art and culture is fading fast. As more people think the tattooed, loud & gruff nature is "cool", the more people with authentic class will be separate from the common.

Keep your daughters (and sons...) educated in the finer aspects of life, and they will succeed. Old fashioned, sure. But the better classes are, and will remain.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:23 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
I am trying to teach my daughter to have good manners, same as I would if I have a son, but to be lady-like is not my goal although I must confess to occasionally saying to her "that's not very lady-like", a relic from my own upbringing. My grandmother was always say to me "A lady is always a lady" and try to make me lady-like but I was ever the tomboy and nothing she could say or do could change me.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:41 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Define "lady". Frilly, silly, giggly, fussy, prissy, uppity, vain, weak, not able to do anything physical by themselves? HELL no!

Just teach them to be GOOD people. That's all that's important in this world.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:32 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm raising my kids to be polite and considerate, but not defining it as being ladylike.

I was raised to be ladylike:

Don't ever raise your voice.
Always smile.
Don't make a fuss about anything, ever.

It didn't serve me well and I would not limit my kids that way.
Ditto! I was raised to be "ladylike", didn't serve me well either . Then I joined the Marine Corps.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Ditto! I was raised to be "ladylike", didn't serve me well either . Then I joined the Marine Corps.
I wasn't raised to be much of anything and I, too, joined the Corps. That's where I learned that I represented a superior institution and I would be looked at with interest and criticism. That's where I learned there was a right and a wrong way to carry myself. That people judged you on how you presented yourself. ladylike was an unspoken but highly encouraged idea. That good personal hygiene, makeup application, conservative attire and manners would get you much further in life AND in the Marine Corps. I've been in a male-dominated industry for 30 years and I'm as ladylike as possible. And I'm good at my job and have done well.

Of course, people are often surprised to learn I was once in the Marine Corps (for 9 yrs active duty) because I'm not the typical hose-beast they imagine we all are. Thanks Bake! j/k Semper Fi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting